Day Hike to the Adams Cabin - Denied

Perry

Formerly Cuberant
Last Saturday I decided to give a go at the Adams Cabin Trail in the Wasatch Mountains. The cabin sits on forest service land at about 7650 feet and is available for public use. I thought it would be a challenging hike with a 3,200 feet gain in about 2.25 miles and was curious to see the cabin. Along the way I realized I could also possibly attempt to summit Thurston Peak, the highest point in both Morgan and Davis counties. Unfortunately I would be turned back from both due to steep snow fields which I did not feel comfortable crossing.

A view of the valley from the first snow field I encountered a just above 7000 ft...

IMG_0450.JPG

Another view from about 8000 ft...

IMG_0458.JPG

Looking north with Ben Lomond in view...

IMG_0468.JPG

A snow field which would turn me back from reaching Thurston Peak today. It was a long way down to the bottom...

IMG_0471.JPG

On my way down...

IMG_0478.JPG

Mountains aren't going anywhere, you can always come back later!
Looks like you were geared up for it just fine though.
I always cringe seeing people w/o an axe on Timp. In summer 2011 I saw more than one bloody hiker who had slipped on the steep area below the pass that overlooks Utah valley.

Mountains aren't going anywhere, you can always come back later!
Looks like you were geared up for it just fine though.
I always cringe seeing people w/o an axe on Timp. In summer 2011 I saw more than one bloody hiker who had slipped on the steep area below the pass that overlooks Utah valley.

Yeah I don't think most folks realize how quickly things can get serious. They think they'll be able to stop no problem.

I'm heading up to Snow Basin on Saturday to find some safe slopes to practice my self arrest. I think there is a tendency to think it looks easy but after watching multiple videos of both successful and failed self arrest attempts I'm pretty sure its not as easy as it looks to do.

Yeah I guess self-arrest depends a lot on the situation. No problem at all on easy slopes, but probably impossible once you get a bit of speed on hard snow at 50 degrees.

If you want an easy Wasatch snow climb, Red Baldy has long been one of my favorites:
https://blog.regehr.org/archives/553
I always wait until later in spring, though, so that the last of the big wet avalanches have happened.

Yeah I guess self-arrest depends a lot on the situation. No problem at all on easy slopes, but probably impossible once you get a bit of speed on hard snow at 50 degrees.

If you want an easy Wasatch snow climb, Red Baldy has long been one of my favorites:
https://blog.regehr.org/archives/553
I always wait until later in spring, though, so that the last of the big wet avalanches have happened.

That looks awesome. Thanks for that.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M Lost a drone in the San Rafael River area/below the wedge. No time to hike in to retrieve. General Discussion 0
TrailScot Day hike in the Upper East Side of Zion - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 5
TrailScot Upper Paria Loop Hike - September 2023 Backpacking 4
OldBill Short hike at the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Fall hike to Chase Lake, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
O YNP Union Falls easy hike Aug 4-8 2023? Meet Up (Members Only) 9
kwc Another Adirondack Hike Hiking & Camping 3
kwc Hadley Mountain hike Hiking & Camping 1
T America's Wildest Through-hike General Discussion 0
kwc Short Snowshoe Hike today, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 2
kwc Another Southern Adirondacks hike - Clockmill Pond and Rock Lake Hiking & Camping 0
Ellen What are your favorite spots to hike and camp in December? Trip Planning 10
F The El Camino Real, A failed hike. Backpacking 16
P Scatman's Grizzly Lake hike, 2022 Backpacking 28
Jackson Quick day hike in the Montana Absarokas Hiking & Camping 13
kwc Adirondack Hike to Middle Lake Hiking & Camping 0
TrailScot "I'll take the High Road ..." - A Loop Hike around the Canyons of Needles - May 2022 Trip Reports 14
norwegianxplorer Hiking Sierra de las Nieves, Spain. Sunrise hike from Yunquera, Andalusia, Wild boar and Spanish Ibex Hiking & Camping 0
Rockskipper Afraid to hike alone? Go with this guy - or maybe not. General Discussion 2
Titans Birthday hike Nov 2021 Hiking & Camping 13
P A short hike on the AT in Shenandoah National Park Hiking & Camping 0
kwc Hadley Mountain Fire Tower hike, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
seekinglost 1000 Mile Nevada Thru Hike on the Basin and Range Trail Trip Reports 14
kwc Short hike to a fire tower Hiking & Camping 3
MikeP Canmore Thru-Hike Trip Planning 1
JuddOutdoors Hike To Grass Lake //Desolation Wilderness //Lake Tahoe Basin Hiking & Camping 0
kwc Blue Mountain hike, Central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
kwc Goodnow Mountain fire tower hike Hiking & Camping 2
norwegianxplorer Mt Whitney Virtual Hike via Horseshoe Meadows & Mt Langley, Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park Backpacking 1
kwc Winter Hike into Broomstick Lake 1/13/21 Hiking & Camping 2
Outdoor_Fool October Denali Hike Hiking & Camping 21
Tomaswmitchell Cuberant Lake hike, Bigfoot tracks? Video Hiking & Camping 2
kwc Stony Pond hike, Central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
Arizona Jones Willow Valley Loop Hike, Arizona Canyoneering 8
kwc Hurricane Mtn hike in the Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 2
regehr quick Medicine Bow / Laramie-area hike? Trip Planning 0
ramblinman Boulder Creek Day Hike, Escalante National Monument Hiking & Camping 5
J Family hike in the Maze in June? (Canyonlands / Moab) Am I crazy? Trip Planning 5
U Just picked up a permit for Shelf Lake 2 nights in Mid/Late July. Any ideas for a day hike/summit from there? Trip Planning 0
kwc Adirondack Spring Hike #? Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Another Hike in the Adirondacks 5/13/20 Hiking & Camping 3
kwc Yet Another Adirondack Hike 5/5/20 Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Another Adirondack Hike 4/23/20 Hiking & Camping 2
Perry Afternoon Hike in Redrock Canyon Trip Reports 2
Perry Day Hike Exploring the Wasatch Ridge Line Hiking & Camping 5
Yvonne Snow Hike up the West Rim, December 15, 2019 Hiking & Camping 7
Benjamin Hayden Looking for good hike away from people in Sedona in mid-February Trip Planning 3
Yvonne Sepulcher Mountain Hike, Yellowstone NP, September 2018 Hiking & Camping 2
Yvonne Yellowstone 2020 backcountry hike questions Trip Planning 21
Yvonne Day Hike to Cache Lake, Yellowstone NP, August 2019 Hiking & Camping 6