Mt Nebo Scenic Loop area camping August 2005

Tyler

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
After having visited this area last month we decided we wanted to do a quick get away back up to camp along the Nebo loop again. We headed on up on Saturday morning and found a campsite relatively close to where we camped last time. As we drove in we saw a LARGE group of camping trailers 1/2 mile or so up from us, lots of "cowboy" types with horses and LOTS of kids running around. We figured we were far enough away to not be bothered by them, but we didn't realize until much later it was a big mistake.

We set up camp and just kind of hung around. We didn't really have an agenda for this trip as I had always grown up knowing camping as "hanging around close to the campsite". Alene got a little agitated sitting around so she took her bike and went for a nice long ride along the highway. April and Bill showed up a bit later to hang out for dinner and get some tent time as well. I also had a couple of my brothers (Russ and Jeff) and my sister Amanda and her husband Brock on the trip as well. We hung around the campfire talking about Star Wars for what seemed forever and as we went to bed, that's when the fun began.

The Cowboys up the way had been literally yipping and yapping all night and we figured by bed time it would stop, but it didn't. Around 11pm or so when we all went to bed we could still hear them around their campfire going "yip! yip! yip! yap! yip!". It was the weirdest thing, but mostly annoying. Finally as Bill climbed out of his tent and in the direction of the cowboys he yelled, "SHUT THE F*** UP!!!". It became dead silent, then about 20 seconds later we heard one more "Yip!", then nothing else. Weird.

On Sunday morning Bill and April headed back home and we all decided to drive down the Scenic byway to check it out. We stopped and saw the Devils Kitchen, which is a VERY miniature version of Bryce canyon (like 3 spires). We then pulled off and hiked a small section of the Mt Nebo trail for a bit until we got tired and turned around (I think only Alene was interested in actually doing the summit hike). Somewhat uneventful, but it was nice to get away.

Our campsite

Stoping off at the Nebo scenic view

Devils Kitchen

Hiking on the Mt Nebo trail

Jeff was ready to survive on nature if he had to

Amanda and brock and our nephew Wes (he and Jeff joined the same tribe)

Russ (love his shirt "Democracy: We Deliver")

Can someone tell me what exactly "yip" and "yap" mean in cowboy-speak? :roflmao: I can totally picture Bill yelling at them. Hilarious.

Nebo, another place I haven't been. Crazy how that pocket of red rock sits up there. Looks like Bryce or something!

Can someone tell me what exactly "yip" and "yap" mean in cowboy-speak? :roflmao: I can totally picture Bill yelling at them. Hilarious.

Yes, keep in mind I was newly married to Alene and didn't really know Bill well. He earned my respect that night. I've yet to earn his :).

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
scatman Mount Nebo - August 6, 2020 Hiking & Camping 13
mike_offerman Mt Nebo Hiking & Camping 3
mike_offerman Deseret and Nebo conditions Trip Planning 3
Udink Mt. Nebo Hiking & Camping 16
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - Scenic Drive closure for several months General Discussion 0
BJett Packrafting the Obed National Wild & Scenic River - Tennessee On The Water 1
stretch Most Scenic Route to Traverse the Gros Ventre? Trip Planning 17
Jimmy Ozark National Scenic Riverways Multi-Day Trips General Discussion 0
frahminator Scenic drive: PHX to Green River Trip Planning 1
uintahiker Most Scenic Trailhead- Wind Rivers Trip Planning 5
Tyler Big Cottonwood scenic drive to Sundance (Stewart Falls) Oct. 2006 Hiking & Camping 1
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
TrailScot Escalante Loop via Dry Hollow and Boulder Mail Trail - September 2023 Backpacking 8
TractorDoc Paintbrush Canyon / Cascade Canyon Loop -- Grand Teton NP September 11, 2023 Hiking & Camping 9
D Grand Teton Cascade Loop Trip Planning 1
TrailScot Upper Paria Loop Hike - September 2023 Backpacking 4
M Mee/Knowles Canyon Loop, Grand Junction Colorado Backpacking 4
randakag Rawah Wilderness "Lollipop" Loop - September 2023 Backpacking 7
Ugly Oh Mother! A Mountain Loop Backpacking 12
Jackson Lollipop Loop in the Pintlers Backpacking 6
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
RockyMntCol Cloud Peak Wilderness Loop Trip Planning 1
BJett Part 3 - Tour de Canyon Country. Lower Escalante Loop Hiking & Camping 0
scatman City Creek Loop - April 23, 2023 Hiking & Camping 8
scatman The Van Cott Loop - April 15, 2023 Hiking & Camping 15
Kullaberg63 Loop on and around the Fold Backpacking 13
fossana AZ Strip bike exploration (Sunshine Trail/Hurricane Wash Loop) Everything Else 3
NorthwestWanderer First time in the High Uintas | Red Castle SNEAK Loop | I give these mountains 5 out of 5 stars Backpacking 7
scatman Mount Wire Loop - 2003 and 2016? Hiking & Camping 13
TheMountainRabbit Pitchstone/Bechler Loop (Yellowstone NP) - September 2022 Backpacking 17
scatman Teton Wilderness Loop - August 6, 2022 Backpacking 27
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
scatman Shoshone Lake Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - July 24, 2022 Backpacking 63
TrailScot "I'll take the High Road ..." - A Loop Hike around the Canyons of Needles - May 2022 Trip Reports 14
BJett Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area Packraft/Backpack Loop (TN) Backpacking 6
Kerrie at Thru We Go Grand Canyon Backpack/Packraft Loop at New Hance Backpacking 11
Duketogo13 BMT- Death Hollow-Escalante Triangle loop Trip Planning 20
M Kannah Creek Basin loop, Grand Junction CO Backpacking 6
T Snow Canyon Loop Hiking & Camping 1
fossana Yellow Rock, Pollock Arch, Hackberry Canyon loop (GSENM) Hiking & Camping 10
scatman The Van Cott Loop - February 13, 2022 Hiking & Camping 9
Wesley Cheaha Freezing Out and Back Loop FAIL Backpacking 12
T Harris Wash/Silver Falls/Choprock/Fence Canyon Loop MLK weekend 2022 Backpacking 8
scatman Grandeur Peak Loop - December 4, 2021 Hiking & Camping 4
scatman Foothill Follies Part 2 - Black Mountain Ridge and City Creek Canyon Loop - November 11, 2021 Hiking & Camping 6
scatman Mount Wire and Mount Van Cott Lollipop Loop (or the Foothill Follies) - November 6. 2021 Hiking & Camping 20
scatman Hayden Valley Loop - Yellowstone National Park - September 17, 2021 Hiking & Camping 34
stretch Grand Canyon Loop: Thunder River -> Tapeats -> Kanab -> Sowats Backpacking 22
Bob Wind Rivers - Lee Lake Loop Backpacking 6
TheMountainRabbit Southern Absaroka Loop (Teton/Washakie Wilderness) - August 2021 Backpacking 8