Most Scenic Trailhead- Wind Rivers

uintahiker

Adventure Guru
I've done a bit of stuff up in the Winds and am wondering what trailhead has the most or best "wow" factor at the beginning or within the first several miles?
Here's what I've done:

Green River Lakes- passenger car accessible, very scenic glacial valley. Squaretop Mtn across the lakes is very pretty. Very popular trailhead

Elkhart Park- passenger car accessible, not very scenic for the first few miles. Very popular trailhead.

Shoshone Lake Entry- Tough 4x4 road. Very scenic view from the last ridge before dropping down to the lake.

What are some of the other trailheads and your observations? My wife wants a trip up there, but bringing the wife means bringing the kids and I'm lazy.

I would have picked the Green River Lakes, but you've already been there...

Boulder Creek is very pretty, but you don't get the great vistas as you're down in a canyon. If you hike from Boulder up to Blueberry and then to Lovatt you'll have great views to the west, but no awesome peaks. It's steep (2600' in 4.25 miles) though!

Big Sandy isn't that scenic as you're in the trees most of the time until Big Sandy Lake, then it's awesome!. I think it's about 6 miles to the lake though. Easy trail.

Trying to plan a trip to the Wind Rivers and thinking about shadow lake area. I see a trail to Donald Lake and a few other lakes around it but cant find any info on it. Anyone been there or know anything about it?

Trying to plan a trip to the Wind Rivers and thinking about shadow lake area. I see a trail to Donald Lake and a few other lakes around it but cant find any info on it. Anyone been there or know anything about it?
Shadow Lake? There is a trail right to it. Pretty easy but long-ish day from Big Sandy.

Green River Lakes TH is probably the most scenic. Stough Creek on the East side maybe. Sweetwater is not used much, but its a few miles for the views.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - Scenic Drive closure for several months General Discussion 0
BJett Packrafting the Obed National Wild & Scenic River - Tennessee On The Water 1
stretch Most Scenic Route to Traverse the Gros Ventre? Trip Planning 17
Jimmy Ozark National Scenic Riverways Multi-Day Trips General Discussion 0
frahminator Scenic drive: PHX to Green River Trip Planning 1
Tyler Big Cottonwood scenic drive to Sundance (Stewart Falls) Oct. 2006 Hiking & Camping 1
Tyler Mt Nebo Scenic Loop area camping August 2005 Hiking & Camping 3
RalphK Schoolhouse Springs Trailhead in Alpine General Discussion 2
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
marquiri Wind River Range - Green River Lakes Trailhead Trip Planning 9
cmgz Boulder Mail Trail - Escalante Trailhead to Mamie Creek Hiking & Camping 1
P Tuckup Canyon Trailhead road conditions Trip Planning 0
cjhaines Coyote Gulch Trailhead Trip Planning 2
WasatchWill UHT - Day 6: Olga Lake to Highline Trailhead Backpacking 3
P Cloud Peak Wilderness--Edelman Trailhead Backpacking 0
D Blue Springs trailhead, little colorado river, via FS6140 Trip Planning 0
TIMP Grand Canyon Bill Hall Trailhead to Deer Creek Falls and Thunder Spring General Discussion 3
Nick Wind Rivers Trailhead Shuttles Trip Planning 3
Yvonne Snowshoeing near Wildcat Trailhead, Kolob Terrace Winter Sports 5
D Wind River-like Zone in Canada Backpacking 5
Upgrayedd Union and Gunsight Passes - Wind Rivers Trip Planning 4
meowtaingal Wind river high route mid september Trip Planning 7
Bob Wind Rivers - Short Trip to Cook Lake Trip Reports 9
D Wind River offtrail route questions Trip Planning 28
W Greetings from the West Side of the Winds (Wind River range) Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
marquiri Wind River Range - Angel Pass Trip Planning 24
Mikjik86 Backpacking The Wind River Range - Wyoming, September 2022 Trip Reports 3
OldBill Roaming the Wind Rivers, September 2022 Backpacking 8
R Wind River Range: Green River Lakes/Clarks Trail/Porcupine Creek Trail Trip Planning 3
wsp_scott Wind River Range Sept 2021 (part 2) Backpacking 4
wsp_scott Wind River Range Sept 2021 (part 1) Backpacking 16
B Wind river range mid sept. Trip Planning 8
andyjaggy Wind River Range Roberts Mountain Trip Planning 4
marquiri Wind River Range - September 2022 Trip Planning 31
Mountain Wanderer First time in the Wind Rivers Backpacking 4
TheMountainRabbit Northern Wind River Traverse (Bridger/Fitzpatrick Wilderness) - September 2021 Backpacking 16
Bob Wind Rivers - Lee Lake Loop Backpacking 6
Bob Sand Creek Fire - Wind Rivers General Discussion 0
A Wind Rivers: Clear Lake, Faler Lake and Roaring Fork General Discussion 7
D Wind River Blowdown Trip Planning 2
westy Wind River Range Backpacking 4
OldBill Short Bear Basin exploration, Wind Rivers Trip Planning 7
Artemus Wind River Mountains Conditions 2021 Trip Planning 17
eobie Wind River Blowdowns Situtation... Trip Planning 14
wsp_scott Wind River Range (beginning of Sept 2021) Meet Up (Members Only) 11
Bob Wind Rivers ..... for those getting the itch ........ Backpacking 2
TheMountainRabbit NW Wind River Range (Bridger Wilderness) - August 2020 Backpacking 3
travel2walk trip report: Wind River Range – Ross Lakes, Bear Basin, Grasshopper Glacier, & Dinwoody Creek loop, Aug-Sep 2020 Trip Reports 41
Gunnahafta Green River <> Big Sandy WIND RIVER RANGE Trip Planning 1
M 5 days Green > Elk Wind River route advice August 17th Trip Planning 9