Harris Wash

BretX

Anyone ever camped here in mid-June? Is it hotter than hell? How far are you from where the water begins to seep? How about vegetation; are there any sort of shade trees like Cottonwoods or the like?

Anyone ever camped here in mid-June? Is it hotter than hell? How far are you from where the water begins to seep? How about vegetation; are there any sort of shade trees like Cottonwoods or the like?

I did it in May one year. It's probably 2-3 miles before the water really starts flowing consistently and the canyon starts to form decent walls. Not really my favorite spot in the Escalante area. Plenty of shade down there but I would suggest going with something that has a lot more water like Death Hollow, Fortymile/Willow or Coyote Gulch.

I need an area near parking as this will be more of a car camping trip. I think the areas you're suggesting would be more of a backpacking trip. I'm interested if anyone would know of any areas west of Hole in the Rock road, near the Straight Cliffs along the Kapairowitz Plateau? Do y'all know what Tin Can Flats is like?

i'm not too sure where you would set up shop for car camping along harris wash other than the parking @ Tenmile Springs corral (bighorn cyn trailhead) or the Red Breaks canyon trailhead. regardless of location, i would think harris wash would be kinda of a hateful place to car camp, especially in june, for various reasons. if you plan on tackling the dayhikes of harris wash, it'd be best to move camp up into the pinyon/juniper forest at the base of the straight cliffs (fiftymile bench) or behind, up on the Kaiparowits plateau, and pack along a couple cubes of H2O. Plenty of options with solitude. not familiar with Tin Cup Flats. good luck.

i'm not too sure where you would set up shop for car camping along harris wash other than the parking @ Tenmile Springs corral (bighorn cyn trailhead) or the Red Breaks canyon trailhead. regardless of location, i would think harris wash would be kinda of a hateful place to car camp, especially in june, for various reasons. if you plan on tackling the dayhikes of harris wash, it'd be best to move camp up into the pinyon/juniper forest at the base of the straight cliffs (fiftymile bench) or behind, up on the Kaiparowits plateau, and pack along a couple cubes of H2O. Plenty of options with solitude. not familiar with Tin Cup Flats. good luck.

I was thinking the same. I'm certainly not averse to bringing water in. I'm just wondering if there is anyplace up there (Straight Cliffs) with a perennial flow of water.

My wife and I spent our honeymoon at Crack and the wall/Coyote Gulch in mid June (30 years ago!). Anyhoo, it was hot, but not un-bearably so, in the upper 90's. Bugs were a little annoying but not bad. I am sure you could find some good spots to car camp, but with out the canyon and water it would have been too hot for us. We hung out with a hippie couple that had a very young baby (much less than a year old) that they carried on the top of their pack, deep inside Coyote Gulch. So maybe it wasn't too hot after all.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T Harris Wash/Silver Falls/Choprock/Fence Canyon Loop MLK weekend 2022 Backpacking 8
cmgz Red Breaks from Harris Wash Canyoneering 13
D Harris Wash to Neon Canyon - Escalante Backpacking Backpacking 3
D Harris Wash or other canyons for November Trip Planning 9
Nick Harris Reservoir? General Discussion 0
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - 5 Day Backpacking Adventure from Chimney Rock to Burro Wash - October 2023 Backpacking 10
fossana AZ Strip bike exploration (Sunshine Trail/Hurricane Wash Loop) Everything Else 3
RyanP Moonshine Wash (Sat 3/27-ish) Meet Up (Members Only) 10
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : Moonshine Wash Hiking & Camping 11
ADubs Looking for info from anyone who has done the Egypt loop and exited via 25mile wash (Escalante). Trip Planning 3
Stephanie B Old Woman Wash, Three Finger Petroglyphs, and Wild Horse Canyon (Backcountry Fest in the San Rafael Swell) Hiking & Camping 6
J Virgin Springs Canyon Cane Wash Loop Trip Planning 3
balzaccom Comb Ridge and Wash Trip Planning 8
Stephanie B Sixteen Room Ruin and Lower Butler Wash Hiking & Camping 15
Nick Beaver Dam Wash Trip Planning 3
DiscGo Moonshine Wash [Video] Hiking & Camping 4
Ross High Spur and North Wash Canyoneering 5
George_Washington_Hayduke North Wash Canyoneering: Sawtooth, Bingo, Hog 3, Hog 4 Canyoneering 2
RyanP Moonshine Wash/Colonnade Arch questions Trip Planning 12
kansas Butler Wash Road Trip Planning 0
C Looking for HCL 1901 Rock in Old Womans Wash Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
ashleyoutside Angel Cove Canyon - North Wash, Utah Canyoneering 0
Ross Hiking/easy canyoneering partner for Bull Valley Gorge,Sand Wash (Red Cave) & other spots Trip Planning 0
Udink West Fork of Moonshine Wash Hiking & Camping 9
DrNed Black Dragon Wash Trip Planning 8
Desertrat Old Woman Wash Hiking & Camping 2
hatchcanyon Salt Wash Road Off Road 0
ram Bypass My A** ....Tanner Wash, Grand Canyon 2-20-09 Canyoneering 4
uintafly A weekend in North Wash Canyoneering 5
IntrepidXJ Moonshine Wash Hiking & Camping 12
hatchcanyon Salt Wash Photography 0
natylka Backpacking: Hurricane Wash into Coyote Gulch of 26 miles back in May Backpacking 3
hatchcanyon San Rafael Swell - Cane Wash Off Road 4
Scott Chandler Cathedral Wash Hiking & Camping 6
Udink Cottonwood Wash to Nate's Canyon Hiking & Camping 3
Brewhaha Lost Go Pro North Wash 9.1.14 General Discussion 0
Dave Salt Wash field oil leak General Discussion 2
Scott Chandler Easter Weekend Day 2: Moonshine Wash Hiking & Camping 3
gnwatts Eardley Canyon & Straight Wash Backpacking 11
Udink South Red Wash Hiking & Camping 4
Udink Jackass Wash Hiking & Camping 4
Udink GCNRA, Above LWHC, Temple Wash Hiking & Camping 5
Udink Upper Old Woman Wash Hiking & Camping 2
regehr moonshine wash conditions General Discussion 14