Harris Wash or other canyons for November

Devin A.

For one of my University classes I am to plan a 3 day trip to cover 20-25 miles over the three days. Coyote Gulch and Grand Gulch are canyons we arent allowed to plan for other reason. I have always wanted to do Harris Wash in Escalante, but don't know enough about it to know if in November it would be good to do, available water and if it's possible to do a loop. I am not allowed to plan anything that requires swimming, technical canyoneering, so no rappels, or slots. I've looked at Fish and Owl Creek Canyon's Loop, but I don't know if that would be worth it.

I've also looked into Hackberry Canyon. Has anyone done Hackberry that could give me some info. Anything would help as November is a hard time to plan a trip, but again it's for school and has limits. Group size is 7 people.

My other thought was the west rim trail and wildcat canyon trail in Zions, but the shuttle seems like a really long drive. Unless you know of a shuttle that is cheap and runs from Zion Canyon up to Lava Point or Wildcat canyon trailhead.

Harris could be pretty good for what you have in mind. It's not my favorite canyon on the Escalante but for late fall and a big group, it could be perfect. There are a lot of cottonwoods through that area so it would be spectacular to walk through with the fall foliage. What exact part of November are you planning for?

We will be leaving the afternoon of November 7th and heading back Sunday the 10th. Some of us in the group are experienced hikers/ climbers (13 years myself) and some of us are less experienced. Any thoughts on the West Rim Trail?

You're really pushing the end of the season down there but I think you'll be within a few days of peak foliage for that area. That will make Harris Wash a fantastic destination. All things considered - I'd do that. It's reasonably long, has plenty of good, flowing water, has nice Escalante walls throughout and big roomy campsites. I wouldn't recommend it all the time but for an early Nov trip, I think that is your spot.

The West Rim is great but it will be cold and barren up there in early November. Keep in mind you're at like 7k+ feet in elevation up there. It's nothing like the Zion you know from going into the main park via Springdale. Hell, if early snow falls, it could even be totally impossible. Your options are slim that late in the year. Something low elevation like Harris Wash with Cottonwoods that hold on later than about anything else is going to be your best bet. I did 25 Mile Wash last year in late October and the Cottonwoods were just barely starting to turn. Most of them were still solid green. I bet peak is the first week of November in that area so it's prime when you're going (aside from the really short days and really long nights).

Thanks Nick,
I think I'll keep planning Harris then. I was looking into forty mile and willow gulch cause it's a loop, but i've seen too many people swimming in forty mile from pictures i've looked at. Is there a way to make a loop out of Harris, instead of out and back? It's just been so long since i've been down Hole In The Rock, 10 years ago when I first did Coyote, and then a few months later when I hiked into the Golden Cathedral.

If I remember right, in Steven Allen's Canyoneering 3 book he describes a Harris Wash loop route coming back over the area known as The V which is the benchtop to the northwest of the wash (between Harris Wash and Red Breaks). There are a couple of options to get to the top from the river across the way from the confluence with The Gulch. Unfortunately I do not have my book handy at the moment.

An other option - Upper Paria River Gorge to The Box of Paria.
Start at Cannonville site (Road Hollow) there's enough space for car parking.
For shuttle park one part of your cars near Brigham Plains Rd (Hackberry TH). That's saver than near the Box.
The Lower Gorge is beautiful, multi colored sandstone, Rock Art and nice drainages comes in.
Springs and seeps are along the way, camp spots too.
If you reach the Box, there are two caves, you can take the Box trail (left) up to Red Top and hike via Yellow Rock Valley back to the cars.
Hackberry Canyon is beautiful, but I've hike only a couple mi. from the south.

Thanks everyone, I have put together a trip plan for the area and have decided on Harris Wash, and figured out a loop to do. Check out my blog which indirectly goes over the loop and shows my planned route. I'd like to know if anyone has done this route I have mapped out. Thanks!

http://www.backcountryexposure.blogspot.com

Nice. I've done most of it but not all in one trip. I ran into @TheDunedain down in Neon Canyon last year and he had done that exact route. Make sure you've got high clearance for the road out to the Egypt TH.

One thought though - considering you're going in November. Be careful with the stretch along the Escalante. If it's been dry for a long while, it'll probably just be calf to knee deep, but it can be a lot deeper and the bends tend to hold wicked quicksand. There aren't really trails along that stretch of the river so plan on plenty of wading. I wouldn't normally worry much about it but that's the time of year when the weather can swing either way.

Just got back from my trip to Harris and Neon. Turns out the Escalante in November is a perfect time to go. The weather was amazing, and the nights were just cold enough to get you cold, but bundled up real nice. I was amazed at the amount of destruction from the recent floods. Hiking through Harris in spots was a nightmare because of the Russian Olives. But going down Harris to the Escalante and down to Neon is a really great trip. I'd recommend it for anyone looking for a longer trip in that area. I'll post a trip report soon with photos.