Eardley Canyon & Straight Wash

gnwatts

I0000gvL5VJqjH3A.jpg

I love the San Rafael Swell, it is so varied, from nice watery rivers to desolate hard sharp rock defiles.
Eardley Canyon is in the middle eastern part of the Swell, and cuts it's way south on it's way to Straight Wash. The photo above (from 2008) is at the Big Pool, a short ways up the lower end of Eardley (the final rappel is to the right), a few hundred feet from Straight Wash.

At the southern end of Eardley Canyon the San Rafael Reef bends to the west and forms the steep side of Straight Wash, which is kind of tilted over. It has the sheer steep side, and the opposite slope is more gradual. What little I have explored of Straight Wash, it is almost entirely stone and sand.

Earlier in 2007 we did the lower pools, which required ropes. We had a blast: The report can be found here:

http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/lower-eardley-july-2007.883/

This view (looking south in 2012) is from the car camp spot on Cliff Dwellers Flat, overlooking the upper section of Eardley Canyon. The access canyon is center right, with a pretty easy trail. It requires a little down climbing that is a little exciting with a back pack, but not that hard. Do not try the canyon to the far left.

I0000RYDB14BgoOY.jpg

View larger map.
The rest of the Eardley shots were taken in 2005.
View (looking east) towards Hyde Draw from Cliff Dwellers Flat:

I00006QY0yDSksmk.jpg

View from the bottom of Eardley at the descent route, note the small cairn bottom center, it is in reality hard to miss:

I0000AOb68STeVsI.jpg

I0000pHjnxN7yRwY.jpg

I0000DbN91LDcSno.jpg

The narrows start pretty quick, they aren't very long but they are a very nice place to be:

I0000T3bJVduGJ.E.jpg

I0000yyYXcIU0pTA.jpg

I0000xBogklGQIKU.jpg

I0000TnhpRKDWbok.jpg

I0000AdO2uCWQIhA.jpg

I0000IWh2qbVAh5E.jpg

This was the last shot from this trip. I camped a few miles down. These were taken with an old Kodak 3mp point and shoot, that had a shitty battery that didn't last long. I day hiked the next day down canyon to pretty much the start of the technical stuff. I am thinking there might be a great loop hike down Eardley, out above the technical pools to the east and back to the car on Cliff Dwellers Flat. Hmmmmmm...........

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Last edited:
In April of 2008 my friend Spencer and I made a quick 2 day trip to Straight Wash.

From the car camp spot at the mouth of Straight Wash:

I0000NLowqzyor8I.jpg

After a while the canyon abruptly goes into a loop. There is a trail off to the the left that is a short cut, but I recommend against this. The canyon ahead is all angles, and is a gem IMO.
I feel like I am on another planet when I am here.

I0000l9anstXoGuY.jpg

The mouth of Eardley Canyon. We decided to hike up and enjoy the pool:

I0000etY1MgaeOfA.jpg

I0000QndyNKhSLEw.jpg'

I00007ZuqqaMueVI.jpg

Further up Straight Wash:

I0000y5mODGxOx_E.jpg

I00005G1BakaLklU.jpg

We just scratched the surface on this hike. I need to get back here soon I think.
Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Awesome. One of my favorite places in the Swell. My first time, we tried that canyon to the left...

Awesome! I've been wanting to check out Eardley for quite some time. How reliable is drinkable water before the tech section?

Thanks.

I have only done the entire upper part once, and found water regularly down the canyon. In 3 or 4 day hikes of the upper section I always found water.

Just pools, with a few springs.

Great photopraphy of a great place Greg! And a Bluet Damselfly. I love Odonata....
How far a drive to Eardley is it for you. About 4 hours for me from Park City.

Awesome pics Greg! Yet another wonderful place on my to do list.:)

Thanks Pixie.

Great photopraphy of a great place Greg! And a Bluet Damselfly. I love Odonata....
How far a drive to Eardley is it for you. About 4 hours for me from Park City.

Thanks Art.
So that is the name of the butterfly. I was mesmerized at the time by the colors, and it's size. I wish I would have had my bigger camera, the point and shoot would not focus on it properly. Or more likely I was the one out of focus.
I am 4 hours exactly from my house in Carbondale to the Eardley trailhead.

More properly it is a Damselfly. Closely related to Dragonflies in the order Odonota. 4 winged flyers and beautiful fliers they are.

4 hours for each of us to the Swell. We should meet at our favorite camp, Cliff Dweller Flat, and work out that loop you want to do this autumn. Interested?

Last edited:
Sure.
You could follow the western side of the reef, heading north, from where Straight Wash pierces it, to Greasewood Tank, then head up that canyon, cross Hyde Draw and back to Cliff Dwellers. From what little I know of this area there does not appear to be a lot of water, other than at Greasewood Tank:

http://anasazigeek.com/index.php/All-My-Long-Trips/San-Rafael-Reef-East-Sept-2009-13-Days/062

shot between the reefs near Greasewood:

http://us.geoview.info/between_the_reefs,34193482p

If you look closely though the middle section of Greasewood has quite a few pools, not sure if they are accessible though.

Thanks for the dragonfly info. It seems impossible to think about coordinating 4 wings.