Comb Ridge and Wash

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Trip Reports
Thread starter #1
When you think about visiting this area., or the area around Grand Junction, do you give any thought to potential radiation from the uranium mining and its residues? Just curious. I'd love to explore more, but this is one region that makes me a little wary...

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Stephanie B

Steph and Blake
Trip Reports
Never gave it a thought. Hopefully you’ll be so in awe of the area and the treasures it beholds that you won’t either.

WasatchWill

Ready For More
Trip Reports
Is it really that wide spread around that area of Comb Ridge, or wouldn't it just be limited to select and specific sites immediately around where it would have actually been mined and where piles of tailings would be? I mean, doesn't the Moab area further north have a big history with all that stuff too? And there are crowds of people playing all around there that don't sweat it. I know it was pretty recent that a clean up effort was undertaken with a particular site along the Colorado there in Moab, if I recall correctly.

Nick

Spiral out.
Trip Reports
Stay away man! There are abandoned uranium mines all over the Colorado Plateau. Like pretty much everywhere from the Grand Canyon to Moab to the San Rafael Swell. It's really not a serious health concern.