moonshine wash conditions

regehr

From lots of reports that I've read, Moonshine Wash seemed doable by some hikers who are happy to do a bit of climbing, but aren't interested in roping up. Yesterday we backed out of the slot after running into a pouroff requiring a slightly awkward ~20' downclimb that looked like it might be tricky to reverse. This came very shortly after a pair of easy drops, each in the 10' range. These are all way before the sheep bridge (which we hiked along the rim to, afterwards). I'm just curious if this is a very recent development, or perhaps I'm somehow highly miscalibrated about what the average hiker is willing to do? Of course I'm aware that slots can change pretty dramatically after each storm, I just hadn't seen anyone talking about any particular difficulties in Moonshine.

thanks for the head's up on this. we're always in this one every time we visit the roost. my last visit, back in spring 2012, i dont remember there being a 20ft downer. i'd roughly estimate there being maybe 1/2 dozen or so in the 6-10 foot range. i dont think you miscalculate your hiking skills. i'd chalk it up to the active forces of nature.

I've done it a half dozen times with kids between 7 and 1. Its always been very straight forward with very simple drops in the 6'-10' range. I'm headed down there in a few weeks with the family so I will be sure to check it out.

Thanks folks! One of the reasons I was in Moonshine was to check it out for a subsequent trip with kids, hopefully this drop will fill in at some point soon.

Thanks folks! One of the reasons I was in Moonshine was to check it out for a subsequent trip with kids, hopefully this drop will fill in at some point soon.

There's a fairly simple route around if you couldn't make it back up and of course the long route down towards the San Rafael River.

Hi Bill, is it just a walk out to the San Rafael? But yes, this looks long!

Is the simple route you're referring to the west fork of Moonshine that makes a loop as described here? http://www.ajroadtrips.com/go/t/utah/robbers-roost/moonshine

I'm curious about the 10-12 m dryfall that "can be climbed by most with little risk". This just sounds a little too much like something Kelsey would say...

I'm not at my computer right now to look at the pictures, but my wife was definitely spooked by some of the down climbs in Moonshine. I thought they were fine, albeit more difficult than a simple down climb, but my wife definitely thought one or two of them were harder than she was comfortable with. That having been said, after some coaxing, she didn't have any problems.

First time I did moonshine in 2007 there was a drop that was a bit sketchy and we had some problems going back up. In 2011 this drop was pretty much gone.

Last edited:
Hi Bill, did you make it out to Moonshine this spring? I'm curious what kind of conditions you saw.

I was there in April, I don't remember anything like you describe. Sorry.

You made the right decision though, I always ask myself, can I get back up this if I need to?

I thought the trickest part was some of the climbs coming back up West Fork of Moonshine Wash. The dry fall wasn't bad, but some stuff afterward required a partner assist.

Hi Bill, did you make it out to Moonshine this spring? I'm curious what kind of conditions you saw.

We never made it. The weather was looking pretty sketchy for slots on the day we had slated for moonshine so we stayed on the high ground.

Thanks guys.

Jon, I think Moonshine flashed not too long after I was there so we'll never know for 100% certain how wimpy my group was :).

I didn't mean to imply you're whimpy. At least you hiked to the bridge, I didn't want to have anything to do with that on the top of the cliffs.

Hiked the wash this weekend in a 10.4 mile loop. Outstanding canyon! We had zero water in the route. One very pool puddle was the only possibility for drinking water. We did not go up the side canyon to Moonshine Springs nor did we see the concrete tubs or bridge. We were too busy concentrating on getting an 85# Rhodesian Ridgeback through the difficulties :)