Moonshine Wash

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
Saturday, April 4, 2015

Today I headed back into Utah so I could visit Moonshine Wash in the San Rafael Desert which has been on my list of places to visit for way too long, especially since it's not too far away from home! Moonshine Wash received it's name from the moonshiners who were active here during prohibition. While I didn't have a chance to visit the cement tanks near Moonshine Spring that were used to make the moonshine, I was finally able to visit and photograph the narrow slot that makes up part of this canyon.

It just so happened that there was also a Lunar Eclipse early this morning so I made sure and left home early enough so that I could stop in Rabbit Valley to photograph the Blood Moon.

A simple photo of the Blood Moon that I took from Rabbit Valley near the state line.

Blood Moon
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

The partially eclipsed moon sets over the desert at the base of the Book Cliffs in Utah near Thompson Springs.

Lunar Eclipse Moonset
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

After stopping to fuel up in Green River, I took the Green River Road south into the San Rafael Desert to begin my adventure. It had been pretty cold overnight (compared to the recent warmer temperatures we've been having) and when I passed by the Horse Bench Reservoir I noticed that it was covered with a thin sheet of ice.

Icy Reservoir
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

I took a short side trip to Fossil Point.

Fossil Point
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Layers of the desert to the Book Cliffs from the edge of Horse Bench.

Desert Layers
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

After reaching the trailhead, I hiked down a shallow wash to where it dropped down into Moonshine Wash, which I followed to the slot.

Moonshine Wash
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

I followed the shallow slot which got progressively deeper...

Reflected Light
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Shallow Narrows
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

...until I reached this bigger drop that led into the deeper part of the slot canyon. I could have easily climbed down this drop, but I didn't think I would be able to get back up it by myself if I needed to, and since I wasn't quite sure what was ahead, I decided to be cautious and not go any further this way.

The First Drop
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

I knew there was a steep exit down below the narrows somewhere, but I wasn't sure what it was like and didn't want to take the chance that I would be able to get up it. I'm not the best climber around, so I'm usually pretty cautious when I'm hiking alone. I decided to retrace my steps so I could find the escape route after the narrows and try coming back up the slot.

The Beginning
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

As I hiked across the sandy bench above the canyon I came across this old 1911 survey marker.

1911 Survey Marker
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

I took a short detour to visit the Moonshiner Bridge that crosses the narrow slot canyon. I have read that this bridge was used by the old bootleggers so that they could drive their cars from the San Rafael and walk across the bridge to reach their operations at Moonshine Spring. I certainly wouldn't trust this bridge today!

Moonshiner Bridge
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

There was a lot of sand to hike through on my way across the top of the mesa.

Sandy Hike
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

After finding the exit route out of the canyon, I followed it down to the wash at the bottom and hiked back up to the narrows. The light inside the exit (entrance for me) of the slot was very nice when I arrived.

Moonshine Exit
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

It was a fun little slot canyon to climb up with nice light around every bend. There were a few places I had to climb that would have been easier coming down, but I managed to get through it OK.

Light Chamber
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Dark Passage
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

A view of the Moonshiner Bridge from below.

Moonshiner Bridge Above
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Moonshine Passage
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Since I wasn't able to climb back out of the canyon this way, I had to turn around return the way I had come in. Before exiting the canyon I decided to see if I could get up the West Fork to the old cement tanks near Moonshine Spring.

Shortly after entering the West Fork, I was stopped by this climb and turned around again to exit the canyon the way I had originally come down.

West Fork Climb
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

After returning to my Jeep at the trailhead, I decided to take a quick side trip over to the Trin-Alcove Bend of the Green River since it was nearby and I hadn't been there in years.

As I hiked to the edge of the Trin-Alcove Bend from the end of the road, I passed this large hand made out of dark-colored rocks on the lighter sandstone.

Big Hand
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

A view over the Trin-Alcove Bend from the point of the confluence with Three Canyon.

Trin-Alcove Bend
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

As I drove back towards Green River I noticed that the ice on the Horse Bench Reservoir had melted off and now there was a muddy reflection.

Muddy Reflection
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Before returning to Green River I took one more detour so I could try and find a few petroglyphs at Butterfly Bend along the Green River.

Following this wash through the badlands on my way to Butterfly Bend.

Badlands Wash
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Colorful Butte
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

I found a few boulders with petroglyphs on them, but I'm sure that I missed some since I was getting short on time. This was one of the better panels I found.

Boulder Petroglyphs
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

This boulder was separate from the rest and closer to the Green River. I was actually standing on top of the boulder looking down to take this photo.

Butterfly Bend Boulder
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Before leaving the area, I spotted what I thought looked like a small panel of Barrier Canyon Style pictographs on the ledge below me, so I found a way to reach them. Unfortunately, it looks like I was deceived since I'm pretty sure these are fakes based on the 'DINASAR' written above them in the same pigment.

Deceived
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

One last photo of the Green River at Butterfly Bend before I hiked back to my Jeep.

Butterfly Bend
by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

After reaching the trailhead it was a short drive back to Green River where I stopped for the obligatory burger at Ray's Tavern before the drive home.

>> Moonshine Wash Photo Gallery

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Awesome shots! I turned around at that same drop the first time I did Moonshine. It was fresh after a flood and I too didn't think I could get back up, especially with all the mud. Turns out that drop is one of the easiest though. It looks tough from the top, but you can pretty much walk down the ramp on the left with your hands on the walls, and back up the same way. It's good you turned around though, the next big drop just down from that is much worse. It could be pretty tough to go up or down alone.

Looks fun. I have been to fossil point a few times. Great fun for kids.

Some people told me Moonshine Wash was super easy (and there are web pages talking about taking kids there) but I wiggled down the 6' drop (I think the one shown in your pic) and then was stopped by the 20' one. Maybe that second drop was somewhat filled in with sand in the past?

What lens did you use for the moon shots? The second one is awesome.

Wonderful looking place but I'm starting to think you bring out the visual best of everywhere you go. Many thanks for sharing.

Wow.. Gorgeous moon shots! Unfortunately I was sleeping soundly during the eclipse :sleepy2: I was in Moonshine Wash the weekend before you & there was a family group of at least 20+ climbing through the slot like a pack of wild monkeys...kids and all! I was slightly devastated when I first saw them, as I was in search of solitude, but it turned out fine, only passed them once & they were exceptionally friendly :lol: