Awesomeness in Maple Canyon

uintahiker

Adventure Guru
Crossposted from my blog at www.livevicariouslythroughus.blogspot.com

Maple Canyon is another place that's been on my radar for a while. We got out there this past weekend and had a blast. I sometimes wonder why it takes me so long to go to some of these places! Maple Canyon is no exception- especially since I went to school at Snow College for a semester or two. I'm almost ashamed to admit that I never made it to Maple Canyon when I was at Snow. What's the draw? Rock climbing, hiking, an arch, a cave, and the closest slot canyon to Salt Lake City. If you're into camping, there's both a pay campground ($8/night) or primitive (free) camping. Finally, if you visit in the fall, the leaves are changing colors and it makes a fantastic place even more beautiful.
After spending the night at a primitive campsite, we woke up with the sun and after a delicious breakfast, headed out to find the Box Canyon. The Box Canyon of Maple Canyon is a small slot canyon located about halfway between the mouth of the canyon and the campground on the north side of the canyon. It's unmarked, but not hard to find.
The unique thing is that it's a slot canyon in conglomerate instead of sandstone or limestone. It's a very unique experience. There's a few handlines and other scrambles to get up, but it's generally not very difficult. Most of the canyon is about 20 feet wide, but it gets down to about 6 feet wide in the upper end.
All told, it's not more than a half mile long, so it's pretty short as far as slot canyons go, but at the same time a slot is a slot and it's hard to go wrong with slot canyons.
We climbed up to this small waterfall then turned around. There is a rope on the right side for the more adventurous, but since we couldn't get the kids up, I climbed part way up before climbing back down.

We then went hiking up the Middle Fork Trail to find the arch. The leaves were really colorful along the trail. It's about a 3/4 mile hike from the trailhead to the arch, the last 150 feet being very steep.
The arch was pretty cool, with the large rocks and boulders of the conglomerate cemented together a pretty amazing site. It's easier for me to visualize a sandstone arch, but the conglomerate arch seemed so fragile and apt to tumble even though the rock is very solid.
After seeing the arch, we wandered back down for lunch and to let the kids run around for a while.
After lunch and the break, we took another hike, this one up the Right Fork Trail. We went to the Pipedream Climbing area to take a look at the cave.
The cave is actually a grotto because it isn't deep enough to get completely dark, but it's pretty neat to see. There's a 15 foot climb at the entrance to get inside.
Outside, we watched several climbers climbing on the cliffs. After finishing a route, this climber had a free-hanging belay down to the ground.
More fall leaves. It was a great time to visit Maple Canyon!

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Nice photos and TR - this is my old stomping ground for sure. Grew up in Mt. Pleasant - remember when you could got to Maple and rock a kegger any day of the week(or weekend) and not see anyone but your buddies. crazy how much that place has changed.

Great post, I really loved maple. As FourisTheNewOne mentioned we spent a crazy amount of time up there back in the day. Why didnt you just complete the loop from the middle fork to the right fork? The view from the top is pretty awesome.

Maple-2008-7-6 (16) by Summit42, on Flickr

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
CodyL Maple Creek or Duck Creek Drainages-YNP Trip Planning 0
Tres Westbrook North Cascades National Park - Heather Pass / Maple Pass Loop Backpacking 9
PureLightImages Climbing Maple Canyon - Labor Day Everything Else 1
Tyler Maple Canyon June 2011 Hiking & Camping 5
Tyler Maple Canyon June 2007 Hiking & Camping 3
Alison Maple candied bacon... General Discussion 4
Nick Maple-Sage Beef Jerky General Discussion 61
L Stevens Canyon - Baker Trail water availability Trip Planning 7
J Reflection Canyon Trip Planning 4
fossana Found: prescription glasses near the top of the Flipoff Canyon approach General Discussion 5
Spud Salt Creek Canyon question Trip Planning 11
B Buckskin gulch/Pariah canyon Carpool Trip Planning 0
TractorDoc Paintbrush Canyon / Cascade Canyon Loop -- Grand Teton NP September 11, 2023 Hiking & Camping 9
Kullaberg63 15 day canyon route Backpacking 13
Titans Tricked in the canyon! Hiking & Camping 5
TrailScot Dayhiking the Under-the-Rim Trail - Bryce Canyon NP - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
M Mee/Knowles Canyon Loop, Grand Junction Colorado Backpacking 4
OldBill Short hike at the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania Hiking & Camping 1
S Paria Canyon- Whitehouse to Lees Ferry, Oct 18 to 21, 2023 Trip Reports 0
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
A Bowdie Canyon Trip Planning 10
TheMountainRabbit Silas Canyon (Popo Agie Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 3
J Paria Canyon - One Day Trail Trip Planning 10
Bob The New Grand Canyon Trip Planning 1
WhozWutz Invite Horse Canyon Needles Meet Up (Members Only) 1
BJett Part 3 - Tour de Canyon Country. Lower Escalante Loop Hiking & Camping 0
BJett Part 2 - Tour de Canyon Country. Swell Times Hiking & Camping 0
BJett Part 1 - Tour de Canyon Country. Cedar Mesa. Hiking & Camping 8
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek via Woodruff Canyon, April 2023 Backpacking 9
F Grand Canyon hermits rest to granite rapids to bright angel Trip Planning 10
gnwatts Stillwater Canyon On The Water 11
shredhiker Kings Canyon July 2022 Kearsarge, Rae, & Sixty Lakes Backpacking 8
J Info needed: Bown's Canyon, Long Canyon Trip Planning 8
Gretchen Millward Cheesebox Canyon, Oct. 2022 Backpacking 14
Stickerbumper Fold Canyon Middle Exit Trip Planning 9
Janice Professor Creek / Mary Jane Canyon - mid April? Trip Planning 0
D Horseshoe Canyon or San Rafael Swell? Trip Planning 9
scatman North Ridge of City Creek Canyon - February 4, 2023 Hiking & Camping 17
scatman South Ridge of City Creek Canyon - January 28, 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
T Amazing Discovery in Utah-Glen Canyon Trip Planning 65
Titans What’s your unfinished business? Hard canyon access, mtn peak, you name it! General Discussion 54
SteveR Big Spring-Elephant Canyon dayhike. With free bonus vacation pix! Hiking & Camping 13
Stephanie B Dirty Devil River Impassible at Poison Springs Canyon Off Road 0
LarryBoy Is there anything technical in White Canyon above the Black Hole? Trip Planning 16
dennisrodman A week in the Grand Canyon / Boucher / Hermit / Tonto Trail Trip Planning 4
XID_AZ Kanab Creek Wilderness - Sowats Canyon - Mountain Sheep Spring Trip Planning 6
travel2walk Yellowstone: Bechler Canyon, Aug 12-15 2022 Backpacking 21