Maple-Sage Beef Jerky

Nick

-
I've been cooking up beef jerky in the food dehydrator lately. Made a new one last night called Maple-Sage Beef Jerky. It's insanely good, like can't stop eating it good. In fact, it's almost gone already.

Here's the recipe:
2 lbs meat (adjust other quantities if using more meat)
2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Tbsp Coconut Aminos (Soy Sauce would work)
2 Tbsp Grade B Maple Syrup (grade A is okay too)
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp warm water

Optional:
Cracked black pepper to taste. It's good with or without it. More of a sweet, subtle flavor without.

Slice the meat to desired thickness. I've been doing my stuff thick, like 1/4-3/8" because I love the chewy, soft result. If you like dry crackly jerky, go thin. Also, make sure you slice across the grain or it will be much tougher to chew. As far as what type of meat, I've been using Top Round roast. The key is to get a lean cut and trim off any excess fat or else the jerky will go bad faster.

Next step, mix all the marinade ingredients in a plastic bag or bowl. Once it's all well-mixed, add the meat slices and let marinate. The recipe I used said marinate for UP TO 1 hour but I did it for more like 16 hours and it was awesome. Load it all up in the dehydrator and cook until dry to your liking. Typically around 8-9 hours for me but it will vary on your equipment and how thick your meat it.

SOURCE: http://robbwolf.com/2011/05/11/diy-maple-sage-beef-jerky-recipe/

UPDATED, 3/9/12:
I added cracked black pepper to the some of the meat right after I put it on the dehydrator racks and the result is good. I'm adding that to the recipe. :)

Photos:
IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

I've been cooking up beef jerky in the food dehydrator lately. Made a new one last night called Maple-Sage Beef Jerky. It's insanely good, like can't stop eating it good. In fact, it's almost gone already.

Here's the recipe:
2 lbs meat (adjust other quantities if using more meat)
2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Tbsp Coconut Aminos (Soy Sauce would work)
2 Tbsp Grade B Maple Syrup (grade A is okay too)
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp warm water

Slice the meat to desired thickness. I've been doing my stuff thick, like 1/4-3/8" because I love the chewy, soft result. If you like dry crackly jerky, go thin. Also, make sure you slice across the grain or it will be much tougher to chew. As far as what type of meat, I've been using Top Round roast. The key is to get a lean cut and trim off any excess fat or else the jerky will go bad faster.

Next step, mix all the marinade ingredients in a plastic bag or bowl. Once it's all well-mixed, add the meat slices and let marinate. The recipe I used said marinate for UP TO 1 hour but I did it for more like 16 hours and it was awesome. Load it all up in the dehydrator and cook until dry to your liking. Typically around 8-9 hours for me but it will vary on your equipment and how thick your meat it.

Maybe I'll take photos next time.

SOURCE: http://robbwolf.com/2011/05/11/diy-maple-sage-beef-jerky-recipe/

Sweet! I've got a bunch of elk meat that I'm gonna try this out on.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Oh this would be sooooo good on elk. Or even grass-fed cow. It really brings out the flavor of the meat. Think I'm going to make more tomorrow.

Damn it Nick! I just got on Amazon and bought me a dehydrator after reading this post!

You won't regret it! I'm throwing some beef in marinade tonight to dehydrate tomorrow. Worth every penny.

I've been toying with the idea of getting one for about 6 months! I primarily have wanted it to make jerky and dehydrated fruit to take on my backpacking trips! You gave me the push I needed!

Robb Wolf, Nick are you on the paleo diet? I have read Robbs book, the diet sounded interesting.

100% sure that's not meant for me, but I tried that for ~2 months back in sept and while I like the idea I was constantly dealing with the inability to be completely full and would wander the house / sit in class just begging for something to eat. You don't realize how much grains you do eat though and that was an eye opener...it definitely helped me refine me diet for the better...

That's odd. If there was one distinct difference I've noticed on paleo is that I'm rarely hungry anymore. Cravings largely gone. But introduce even the slightest amount of sugar or aspartame and I want to eat eat eat.

That's odd. If there was one distinct difference I've noticed on paleo is that I'm rarely hungry anymore. Cravings largely gone. But introduce even the slightest amount of sugar or aspartame and I want to eat eat eat.

Ah, so aspartame is my problem as that is all I drink from diet soda to crystal light!

I love it. Hooked for life. I'll elaborate more on that later.

Awesome, waiting patiently

its not that I was always like starving, but after a meal, especially later in the day I would feel like I needed something more, like something was missing. Food wasn't like burining in the mind but it was like that annoying dripping faucet in the other room. hard to ignore but not that significant... Since then I've reintrodiced grains (and beans...etc) into my diet, but I'm keeping with the idea of eating mostly veggies, meats and fruits. My favorite paleo meal I made though I've made again a few times. A beanless chili. make it for myself, freeze it and boom there's a weeks worth of food. yum. link:
http://paleodietlifestyle.com/paleo-beanless-chili/

its more than possible it failed for me because I'm a single poor college student. many factors there driving against me..haha.

I rock the home-made jerky quite frequently - have a few good recipes I'll have to share. a favorite secret ingredient is Sriracha - it adds just the right kick without overwhelming the flavor. I've been lucky that I've been kept in supply of wild game - elk, deer and caribou. Makes for great hiking food - a little jerky and a little cheese has carried me a long way.

OK, so I have this old Ronco food dehydrator from like 1996. I have no idea if it still works, but I'm going to have to give this a try. Sounds awesome and likely much cheaper than paying $6 for a bag of jerky at the store that's too dry and is full of bad preservatives. Thanks for sharing Nick. I'd love to hear some of your recipes too Clint.

How long do you think your jerky is typically good for storing? Do you have to eat it up right away?