Camera advice

baltocharlie

Hey all: Since a lot of you guys are great photographers I figure I would ask a little advice. I am looking for a smallish camera that takes very good pictures. Not interested in the bigger styles with lens changing abilities. I've read this article:
http://www.gizmag.com/compact-camera-comparison-guide/29804/

The Sony seems very good, but pricey. The earlier Sony(not the M2) does not have WiFi but this feature does not interest me. Like to find that one on clearance. Canon Powershot S120 seems very good as well. Canon G16 also seems nice but a little big.

Anyway, thoughts on these, especially if you use one of the models listed or similar ones. They do not mention the Olympus camera that is weather proof, TG2. Thoughts on this one?

Any input appreciated. Thanks

I don't have any great advice but I'll throw out a few of my thoughts. =)

I'm a point and shoot kinda guy. My first thought is that those suckers in that review are pretty pricey! I've liked the picture quality of Canons in the past. I have a Powershot A540 that was good bang for buck and I've really liked (paid $230 7 years ago or so) and still takes great pictures. I've added a Panasonic TS4 (waterproof) to the mix and it's my go-to camera now b/c I'm usually around snow/water. Picture quality is not as good as Canon. And I really miss the optical view finder (my Canon has, Pansonic doesn't - and that's been the trend). I'm a bang for buck type a guy for a lot of things. You might consider a camera that's a year or two old and focus on picture quality since that seems most important. I used the dpreview website a lot when I was researching (side by side comparison was helpful). Good luck!

My last point and shoot was a Canon S90. My next one will be a Canon s120. I'm not talented enough with a DSLR to make it worth carrying into the backcountry with me, so a point and shoot appeals to me for backpacking.

I just purchased a Canon S110 last month and have been happy with it so far. It replaced my Canon S90 which was an amazing little camera that served me well for many years.

I would have loved to have got the Sony RX100, but I just couldn't justify the price...especially since I usually drag my DSLR with me just about everywhere...the point and shoot is just a backup camera for the few times I don't want to carry the extra weight.

I also have the Canon S110 and love that little thing. I use it all the time and sometimes it is my primary camera for backpacking trips.
This camera takes amazing pictures, is able to shoot in RAW as well.
I can't take any night shots with it (star trails, night sky), but this being the only downside I'm pretty happy and can definitely recommend it.

I don't have any great advice but I'll throw out a few of my thoughts. =)

I'm a point and shoot kinda guy. My first thought is that those suckers in that review are pretty pricey! I've liked the picture quality of Canons in the past. I have a Powershot A540 that was good bang for buck and I've really liked (paid $230 7 years ago or so) and still takes great pictures. I've added a Panasonic TS4 (waterproof) to the mix and it's my go-to camera now b/c I'm usually around snow/water. Picture quality is not as good as Canon. And I really miss the optical view finder (my Canon has, Pansonic doesn't - and that's been the trend). I'm a bang for buck type a guy for a lot of things. You might consider a camera that's a year or two old and focus on picture quality since that seems most important. I used the dpreview website a lot when I was researching (side by side comparison was helpful). Good luck!

Thanks, i'll check out those models. Probably no longer made. They are pricey but I have never liked the pictures from the cheapest models. Plus the canon S110 is now listed @ Best Buy for 250, not too bad of a price

My last point and shoot was a Canon S90. My next one will be a Canon s120. I'm not talented enough with a DSLR to make it worth carrying into the backcountry with me, so a point and shoot appeals to me for backpacking.

The price of the S120 is way out there, over 400!! What does it do different than the S110?

I just purchased a Canon S110 last month and have been happy with it so far. It replaced my Canon S90 which was an amazing little camera that served me well for many years.

I would have loved to have got the Sony RX100, but I just couldn't justify the price...especially since I usually drag my DSLR with me just about everywhere...the point and shoot is just a backup camera for the few times I don't want to carry the extra weight.

thanks as I am seeing the S110 going cheaper and cheaper. I also like the Sony but man it is really pricey. I'm glad you like the Canon.

Charlie - if I were you, I'd avoid the ones that shoot RAW like the S1XX series. I do prefer Canon P&S cameras. Just get one that has the features you want. The higher end JPEG shooters shouldn't run more than $250 or so and you can get a sweet optical zoom, HD video, etc. etc. for that. Unless you want to start having to really edit all your shots, the RAW shooters are just a waste of money, IMO.

I also have the Canon S110 and love that little thing. I use it all the time and sometimes it is my primary camera for backpacking trips.
This camera takes amazing pictures, is able to shoot in RAW as well.
I can't take any night shots with it (star trails, night sky), but this being the only downside I'm pretty happy and can definitely recommend it.

No starry nights:( I was hoping for those. Still with another vote for the Canon makes my decision easier. Shooting in the RAW, haven't done this but am eager to play around with it. Thanks for the info.

Charlie - if I were you, I'd avoid the ones that shoot RAW like the S1XX series. I do prefer Canon P&S cameras. Just get one that has the features you want. The higher end JPEG shooters shouldn't run more than $250 or so and you can get a sweet optical zoom, HD video, etc. etc. for that. Unless you want to start having to really edit all your shots, the RAW shooters are just a waste of money, IMO.

Really, you don't like the RAW. I thought it was a good way to adjust you pictures. I hear it takes up more memory. Is it time consuming? I believe most point and shoot higher ends, like I listed, all shoot in the RAW. The Canon S110 is $250 and is compared with P&S cameras at the higher end.

No, I love RAW. But it is a commitment. Taking photos in RAW makes them all look pretty crappy out of camera so you kind of have to go through and tweak them all. It's fun if that's what you want to do and it certainly gives you an incredible amount of editing power. JPEGs are pre-tweaked in-camera so they look nice without any work. If you want the capability, you can always turn it off and shoot in JPEG, you just pay a little extra for the feature.

The price of the S120 is way out there, over 400!! What does it do different than the S110?

Agreed. With the current sale best buy has for the s110 @ $219, it's an even bigger gap. However, I need my cameras to be able to shoot video. The s110 shoots in 1080p/24 fps (which is fine). I usually shoot in 60fps, so the s120's ability to shoot in 1080p/60fps is attractive to me. It saves me lots of time when editing my videos between different cameras.

I believe the s120 also has wireless data transfer, which doesn't matter to me at all. $180 for 60fps is a lot to pay though.

Agreed. With the current sale best buy has for the s110 @ $219, it's an even bigger gap. However, I need my cameras to be able to shoot video. The s110 shoots in 1080p/24 fps (which is fine). I usually shoot in 60fps, so the s120's ability to shoot in 1080p/60fps is attractive to me. It saves me lots of time when editing my videos between different cameras.

I believe the s120 also has wireless data transfer, which doesn't matter to me at all. $180 for 60fps is a lot to pay though.

We posted at the same time on the price. Video, I like video but not real important. I think the S110 is leading the pack.

Nick, S95- the one you had on the Green. That took good pictures and video. And this model is the next one up I'm thinking.