Lightroom vs. Camera Raw?

DAA

Didn't want to sidetrack Nick's Lightroom thread with this...

So, if I wouldn't need or be likely to use any of the cataloging/databasing features of Lightroom, would it be worth getting and learning vs. ACR? Are there features you use in Lightroom not available in ACR that would make the switch worthwhile?

Right now, I use the free DPP softward that came with my Canon for 90% of my RAW processing. It is dirt simple to use and has good batch processing that allows me to "develop" a bunch of RAW files in a hurry. I switch to ACR for the few shots I deem worth some extra attention and effort. There is no doubt that I can get better results with ACR, but it is fairly time consuming.

Anyway... Hopefully getting a new PC for Christmas and will probably upgrade to CS6 within a few months. Just wondering if I should consider making the jump to Lightroom at the same time?

- DAA

No, I've never even looked at Bridge. I just open PS and drag the RAW file into it, which launches ACR and opens the file in it.

- DAA

how do you browse your thumbnails and determine what files you want to manipulate?

Using the Canon DPP software. I use DPP to rate, delete, organize folders etc., as well as the bulk of my processing/development. From DPP I simply drag an image directly into PS/ACR. Or, if I have more than one or two, put them in their own folder and either right click to open in PS/ACR or drag from a Windows folder browse.

- DAA

hmm... i have no idea what DPP is like, never used it. i have too many different cameras with different raw file types, so my guess is DPP wouldn't work. what kind of edits does DPP allow you to make? one advantage to lightroom is that you make all the adjustments from right in your browser, very rarely do i need to open the image in photoshop. the main reason to use lightroom is that it streamlines the workflow - makes it all very efficient, can synchronize edits across multiple images very quickly, and it has a more powerful user interface than ACR in photoshop.

hard to say exactly what the advantages are to your current workflow are though, because i have zero experience with DPP.

Lightroom 4 does have a lens correction adjustment that I have never seen in DPP. Maybe I just don't know where it is?? I was surprised to see how much difference it made to some of my photos. LR4 has a profile for most lenses.

Lightroom 4 does have a lens correction adjustment that I have never seen in DPP. Maybe I just don't know where it is?? I was surprised to see how much difference it made to some of my photos. LR4 has a profile for most lenses.

ACR uses the same lens correction profiles.

If you're on a Mac, you can browse unprocessed raw photos using Cover Flow and Quick View in the Finder.

DPP does have lens correction, there is a lens tab on the Tool Palette, it does all the normal stuff and allows manual corrections as well. It only has Canon lens data for automatic corrections though. ACR seems to do just as well with the Canon lenses, but then also corrects my Sigma too.

- DAA

My 6D came today and since CameraRaw or Lightroom don't support the RAW files yet I was forced to use DPP to do anything with them. What a nightmare!

My 6D came today and since CameraRaw or Lightroom don't support the RAW files yet I was forced to use DPP to do anything with them. What a nightmare!
:roflmao: look forward to seeing a little "first impressions" report on that camera. looks awesome.

I'm highly interested in your impressions. So is my credit card.

I'll be using the camera this weekend, so I can make a post when I get back with my initial impressions of the camera. However, since I am not too fond of DPP, I'll probably hold of on image quality impressions until Adobe supports this camera (hopefully soon!)

I still have to convert my raw files to DNG before my old PS2 can import and it is annoying. Surprising that LR4 will not support 6D files. However, my vote would be convert and use the Adobe program.

I still have to convert my raw files to DNG before my old PS2 can import and it is annoying. Surprising that LR4 will not support 6D files. However, my vote would be convert and use the Adobe program.

It's not uncommon. It takes time for the software vendors to work out each new model's raw format. Typically there is a beta patch available in several weeks, with a full-on update in a couple of months. Never buy a new DSLR and expect to process raw right away. LR support for the 6D is coming.

I'm surprised that you can't natively open your raw files, even in PS2. When was the last time you updated?

usually takes a few weeks to 2 months before it's supported. it's kind of weird, because i don't think canon gives adobe the files, adobe has to reverse engineer it basically. an odd relationship there, iirc.

I originally wanted to wait for Adobe to support the RAW files before buying the camera...but I was forced to get it earlier.