MPB - trade camera gear

gnwatts

Has anyone used MPB? A pretty cool site, you input the item you have, give it a used rating, input the item you want to trade and within 20 minutes I had a quote, shipping info. etc.
It has mostly good reviews, just wondering if anyone has used it.

Haven't used MPB. I have also heard a lot of good things about KEH. Almost traded in with them but ended up trading in with B&H instead because of a special they were running at the time. If I remember right, KEH was similar, you just select the item and rating and they gave a quote right there. I have bought a couple lenses from KEH and have had a good experience. Trading in with B&H was a really smooth process as well. Didn't have any issues.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of trading in my almost-new Canon 5DM4 because it has something wrong with it - it won't take photos like the one @IntrepidXJ has.

Most of my recent photos from the past 4-5 months have been taken with a Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II point & shoot camera. It's kind of expensive for a point & shoot, but is so much nicer to carry around than a DSLR or mirrorless camera...

As far as MPB, I've never heard of it before.

Last edited:
I actually am serious about trading my 6D in or selling it. It's just too heavy, esp.when I put my 100-400 telly on it. I feel like I'm lifting weights. I have a Canon mirrorless that I don't like because it doesn't do what I tell it which I may also sell. I'm all for independence (I like the Rebels and use mine a lot), but it has a mind of its own. I've thought about the PowerShot before, and maybe it's time to get one. I'm also thinking about getting a newer iPhone and just using that (Canon's worst nightmare).

I actually am serious about trading my 6D in or selling it. It's just too heavy, esp.when I put my 100-400 telly on it. I feel like I'm lifting weights. I have a Canon mirrorless that I don't like because it doesn't do what I tell it which I may also sell. I'm all for independence (I like the Rebels and use mine a lot), but it has a mind of its own. I've thought about the PowerShot before, and maybe it's time to get one. I'm also thinking about getting a newer iPhone and just using that (Canon's worst nightmare).
The weight was one probably the main reason I went for a mirrorless camera when I first got into photography. Started out with a Fuji X-T2 which was great but eventually moved on to a Sony A7rii. The sony system is pretty nice because you can get some lighter weight lenses too (relative to other lenses). I've got a few of the Tamron zoom lenses and their 70-300 weighs just over one pound. I have considered getting a tiny prime lens from Samyang for times when I really don't want to carry any weight still though. No matter what you do though it definitely still weighs more than a PowerShot or phone and you can get some great photos with those. In a lot of cases you can get better photos with just your phone and they require no editing!

But as always, the best camera is the one you have with you.

I have bought a couple of Sony's, an A7R II, and a Rx10 III. I love the A7R, compact with a large full frame sensor. I still have my Canon lenses that I use with a Metabones adapter. I have grown tired of the Rx10 though, it is big and heavy, but it has a nice Zeiss lens on it. So I decided on a
Leica D-Lux 7, a partnership with Panasonic who makes an almost identical camera the LX100 II. Both have the 24-75 Leica lens.

index.jpg

Anyway, I saw some ads about MPB, so I thought I would give it a try. Like I said above, I entered my Rx10 as a camera to trade for the Leica, and I had an offer, which I accepted. They immediately sent me a Fedex label, I will send the camera to them to make sure I have what I say I have. Pretty easy, and quick. I will update when I get the camera

The weight was one probably the main reason I went for a mirrorless camera when I first got into photography. Started out with a Fuji X-T2 which was great but eventually moved on to a Sony A7rii. The sony system is pretty nice because you can get some lighter weight lenses too (relative to other lenses). I've got a few of the Tamron zoom lenses and their 70-300 weighs just over one pound. I have considered getting a tiny prime lens from Samyang for times when I really don't want to carry any weight still though. No matter what you do though it definitely still weighs more than a PowerShot or phone and you can get some great photos with those. In a lot of cases you can get better photos with just your phone and they require no editing!

But as always, the best camera is the one you have with you.
Check out the Sony/Zeiss or the prime lenses made for your A7r. Very reasonable used prices.

Never heard of MPB
Heard good things about KEH

I've also read that B&H will give you a high quote and then when you send your gear will rate it a lot lower than you do and drop the price accordingly.

I have an RX10 iii that I inherited. Do you mind me asking how much did they offer?

These guys have to run a business obviously, but I was happy with what they offered for a well used 4 year old camera. I PM'd you.

They quoted me a price for an old camera body and lens before I sent it to them, and when they got it they offered me more money for the camera. That blew me away. On the downside, I did not accept their offer on the Sony RX10 III, and they sent the wrong camera back. They quickly found it and overnighted it back. I am fortunate I wrote down my camera's serial # to verify that they sent me the wrong camera. Overall a fairly good experience, I would do business with them again.

They quoted me a price for an old camera body and lens before I sent it to them, and when they got it they offered me more money for the camera. That blew me away. On the downside, I did not accept their offer on the Sony RX10 III, and they sent the wrong camera back. They quickly found it and overnighted it back. I am fortunate I wrote down my camera's serial # to verify that they sent me the wrong camera. Overall a fairly good experience, I would do business with them again.

Thanks for the follow-up. Been thinking about getting rid of some of the gear I no longer use and was thinking of giving this a try.