Noob camera suggestions

I have been lurking on this site for about a month now and am amazed at the quality of pictures posted on this site. I am sure this has been addressed somewhere on this site but changes in cameras and software seemed to occur rapidly. What I am looking for is a camera to upgrade from my current Canon Powershot S3 - 6MP. I have looked at DSLRs but I think I want something smaller which is easily packable for hiking and backpacking but gives me the opportunity to experiment. I have been looking at the Panasonic Lumix G3 as an option but I am open to any suggestions.

Currently all my photos are stored and played with in iPhoto. Suggestions for editing software for a neophyte would also be appreciated.

This a great site!

I have been lurking on this site for about a month now and am amazed at the quality of pictures posted on this site. I am sure this has been addressed somewhere on this site but changes in cameras and software seemed to occur rapidly. What I am looking for is a camera to upgrade from my current Canon Powershot S3 - 6MP. I have looked at DSLRs but I think I want something smaller which is easily packable for hiking and backpacking but gives me the opportunity to experiment. I have been looking at the Panasonic Lumix G3 as an option but I am open to any suggestions.

Currently all my photos are stored and played with in iPhoto. Suggestions for editing software for a neophyte would also be appreciated.

This a great site!

If you haven't already looked at this thread, check it out. It may have some useful information.
http://backcountrypost.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-camera.1418/

As for the G3, I don't know much about the specific models, but I too am leaning heavily towards a switch from a full SLR so something along those lines for my outdoors activities. As far as I know only one person on here shoots with one and that is Dan Ransom .

As for editing software, you'll want to upgrade to something that manages and edits the raw files. Aperture is an easy upgrade path if you're used to iPhoto and want to keep the same feel. The alternative to Aperture would be Adobe Lightroom. It seems that everyone who uses each one loves it but I've never met anyone who has truly gone in-depth with both. I've been using Aperture for years now but I'm planning on switching to Lightroom at the end of the year, at least for a few months, so I can make an accurate judgment on which is the strongest and where the strengths and weaknesses lie. There's a few threads on BCP about editing that may help as well:

http://backcountrypost.com/forum/index.php?threads/photoshop-lr-elements-premier.1145/

http://backcountrypost.com/forum/index.php?threads/point-and-shoot.1162/

http://backcountrypost.com/forum/index.php?threads/photo-processing-comparisons.1179/

I took a workshop with David Muench in May. Given his stature in the photography world I expected him to show up with some fancy camera the rest of us only dream about. He had a Lumix. And he took amazing photos with it-better than any of those who showed up w/Nikon 800s, 5d Mark III's, etc. You can do a lot with a good, basic camera if you have a good eye!

i will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread and thank you Laura for starting it.
it's about time for me to upgrade to a camera in which i can do manual settings and shoot in RAW format.
after seeing how some of the photos i shot with my pentax optio wg-1 p&S turned out as gallery wraps (looking pretty good, but not spectacular) I am ready to start taking what i am doing a bit more seriously. the rugged camera is super handy and worry free, but i just can't quite get the quality i want for those sweet shots.
now if someone will just buy a painting or two to fund my desire....

I'm a big fan of the micro 4/3 cameras, mainly because they offer the best weight/quality ratio for me. they are not producing the highest quality images, compared to the higher end models from canon, nikon and sony. but, they are a great value, have a nice set of lenses now to choose from, and they are LIGHT comparitively.

that weight is a big deal to me, so i couldn't be more happy with the system. also, the panasonic video quality is insanely good.

I'm a big fan of the micro 4/3 cameras, mainly because they offer the best weight/quality ratio for me. they are not producing the highest quality images, compared to the higher end models from canon, nikon and sony. but, they are a great value, have a nice set of lenses now to choose from, and they are LIGHT comparitively.

that weight is a big deal to me, so i couldn't be more happy with the system. also, the panasonic video quality is insanely good.

I was just looking at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 which is in teh price range i am aiming for
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/768477-REG/Panasonic_DMC_G3KK_Lumix_DMC_G3_14_42mm_Lens.html
sounds like this may be my best choice...or spending a bit more to get the newer G5 model.
thanks everyone for the info & to Pagosasube for starting the thread & mentioning that camera.
anyone have any opinions about cameras similar to that one?

Thanks everyone for your input. I had been doing a fair amount of research on the micro 4/3 cameras but did not know anyone who had used one. It seemed like a good system which fell between the DSLR and the PAS cameras and were light and small enough to carry into the backcountry. Nick, thanks for the input on Aperture - being a mac user I think I will start there with editing software. At this point the Panasonic Lumix G3 is on the top of my list but I am still open for other suggestions.

Unbelievable photos Dan. Thanks for your advice. After viewing your site I realized I need to get out more...

it looks nice, but to me it defeats the purpose... mirrorless' biggest advantage is lightweight and reduced bulk. once the image circle gets bigger, the lenses have to be much bigger too. the eos-m is an APS-C sensor, so lenses will be traditionally sized. in that case, i'd rather just carry a full SLR like a 6d. the 22mm lens would be totally useless for the style i like to shoot (wide angle landscapes). also, canon is way behind in the mirrorless lens options, but you can use normal EF and EF-S lenses on it with an adapter. but that begs the question, why not just carry a real SLR?

the advantage (or disadvantage, depending on perspective) of m4/3 is the 2x sensor. It's smaller, which means images aren't as high quality, but also, the weight and bulk are substantially reduced.

the olympus EM-5 and EPL-5 are well regarded. As is the GH2 and G3 from panasonic. All of the Sony NEX offerings in mirrorless are impressive, but again, come at higher weight penalties and cost when you consider the lenses because of the larger sensor.

Dan, you pretty much just backed up my own thoughts. i have a friend that was trying to convince me on the EOS. (he's thinking in terms of the lens he already has for his Canon dslr being compatible i think)
i appreciate the feedback.
the panasonic G3 is still winning the race for me. especially if i can pick one up for under 400 bucks!

yeah, if you already have canon lenses, makes a lot more sense. m4/3 obviously have a fair share of limitations, but they are the perfect compromise for me. also, the GX1 is a smokin' good camera, and will likely join my arsenal in the near future.

watch the amazon warehouse deals, and gold box deals. sometimes you can find killer deals. i got my last two panasonics for a song.

typically, these are cameras that have been returned to amazon, so there is nothing wrong with them, but they are used. still backed by amazon guarantees. currently a G3 goes at 375 bucks, with lens. hard to beat that.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005058BTW/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I see the obvious advantages to the 4/3's but not being able to shoot night shots is the major issue for me. Light and small would be nice but considering I rarely shoot more than100 yards from my car big a bulky isn't that big of a problem. I guess the question I have for the 4/3 converts would be do you miss shooting stars and such?

I guess the question I have for the 4/3 converts would be do you miss shooting stars and such?
that's the biggest draw back, for sure. ain't no such thing as a perfect camera...

I see the obvious advantages to the 4/3's but not being able to shoot night shots is the major issue for me. Light and small would be nice but considering I rarely shoot more than100 yards from my car big a bulky isn't that big of a problem. I guess the question I have for the 4/3 converts would be do you miss shooting stars and such?

glad you made this point, Bill. I haven't been able to do that with my P&S but it IS something I would like to play around with in the future, even if it is not one of my priorities.
I've previously thought about picking up a used or refurbished Canon s90 specifically for that kind of use, though, after seeing the results one of my friends got with his. if only we could get it all in one camera... a rugged, shock, dust & waterproof micro 4/3 that will take night shots.... one can dream.

I've previously thought about picking up a used or refurbished Canon s90 specifically for that kind of use, though, after seeing the results one of my friends got with his.
a m43 camera will BLOW the s90 out of the water in every practical instance (i own both). they are better in lowlight than everything but the larger sensored brethren in the digital SLR world.

i use the s90 solely for the waterproof housing in canyons.