Transportation for a Noob

JBG

Hey BC group, hello from another new noober. I cut my teeth hiking in the Uinta and Rocky Mnts. (native of Utah), but now must make do in the Midwest. Still get out lots, and while the Ozarks have their own challenges (the concept of "switchback" all but lacking here), at least once a year I plunge back deep into the mountains.

This coming July, 2019, I am hoping to do most of the Uinta Highline Trail (Leidy Peak TH to Haden Pass TH), and I am looking for transportation from Haden (where we will leave the car after driving in from Missouri) to Leidy. I see that Wilkins Bus Line is out of business - anyone know of any good forums here for arranging transportation between TH's?

Thanks!

Hey JBG, me and my girlfriend are in the same predicament. When in July are you planning on hiking? We're going to try for a start date of July 3rd/4th/5th, starting from Leidy Peak TH. We're trying to find maybe other hikers around that same time to try and sort out logistics in terms of shuttling around, or someone we can pay for a ride from Vernal up to Leidy TH.

Just to add, if you're ok using your thumb, hitching from Kamas to either Park City or Hebse would be relatively straightforward. From there you can catch the Greyhound to Vernal and hitch up to the Hwy 191 trailhead. Or hope you can flag down a car to Leidy Peak. That road gets a lot more traffic during hunting season.

Hey JBG, me and my girlfriend are in the same predicament. When in July are you planning on hiking? We're going to try for a start date of July 3rd/4th/5th, starting from Leidy Peak TH. We're trying to find maybe other hikers around that same time to try and sort out logistics in terms of shuttling around, or someone we can pay for a ride from Vernal up to Leidy TH.
Gwion - That might just work! We (my two sons and I ) are looking at those same dates, give or take. Let's stay in touch as the ideas roll in. yes?

JBG

Just to add, if you're ok using your thumb, hitching from Kamas to either Park City or Hebse would be relatively straightforward. From there you can catch the Greyhound to Vernal and hitch up to the Hwy 191 trailhead. Or hope you can flag down a car to Leidy Peak. That road gets a lot more traffic during hunting season.
Thanks - I was thinking of perhaps renting a car in Vernal, driving to/from TH at Haden Pass (leave our car, bring rental back) then..? something up from Vernal to Leidy Peak TH! Maybe we hitch, maybe we firgure something out with Gwion..?

Gwion - That might just work! We (my two sons and I ) are looking at those same dates, give or take. Let's stay in touch as the ideas roll in. yes?

JBG
Yes lets definitely stay in touch. My plan was to Greyhound to Vernal try somehow get a lift up to Leidy TH, then hitch at the end back to Park City or SLC. However I would feel a lot better if there was a solid plan put in place on the logistics side before coming to Utah in July.

Back