New "noob" backpacker from Kansas here!

Brian Skibbe

Greetings all!

I was born and raised in Kansas. I ran collegiate track and cross country at Southwestern College in Winfield Kansas.(NAIA division) I'm 44, and am currently in the sport of obstacle course racing, or "OCR". (i.e. Spartan races, tough mudders, etc..) I competed in the OCR world championships in 2015, and plan on attending the 2017 world championships this October in Canada.

I've always had a love of the outdoors and hiking, and have around a dozen 14'ers under my belt in Colorado. I'm new to the overnight, multiple-day backpacking scene, though, and have begun as of late 2016 gathering gear to start doing some longer backpacking trips. I plan on a 10-12 day hike on the John Muir trail next year (2018), and am shooting for a 200-ish mile loop in Yellowstone this June. I love photography(currently using a Sony A6000), wildlife watching, and overextending my physical abilities just for fun...lol. I hiked 24+ miles this October in Yosemite in one day without much trouble, so I feel that my fitness level is where it needs to be in order to do multiple long days in the back country. What I lack is the knowledge (and tricks of the trade) that many of you here have accumulated over the thousands of miles of back country hiking in your lifetimes, which is why I'm here to browse these forums, and fill my little brain with this much needed knowledge!!

All the best,

Brian

Hey hey Brian!

Welcome to BCP! I was also a track and cross country runner in college. 5000m.
Hope you get all the info you need!

-Kevin

Welcome Brian! You're definitely in the right place for that kind of info. Looking forward to some trip reports from you going forward.

Back