Camera bag for hiking?

coguy79

I have a daypack I use for both hiking and hunting. I'm looking for a camera bag in addition to my daypack. I have a canon t3 and I'll be carrying my 18-55 and 75-300 lenses along. Plus a few little accessories. Wondering what everybody uses or has a suggestion for what I'm looking for. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I'm gonna get one of those now! Thanks for the link!

I'm not a fan of an actual camera bag for hiking. I use neoprene sleeves to hold extra lenses and a Clik Elite Access for my camera. Lightweight and extremely functional. And I'm a HUGE fan of that Clik Access. Best chest pack on the market. I'm on my second one. Real camera bags are bulky, heavy and have no business being carried more than a mile, IMO. :)

I second that, I have the Clik Elite Access for quite a while and it was the best investment ever.
Easy and quick camera access and less bulky than other chest packs. This one is so lightweight, I really enjoyed having it on my longer backpacking trips as well.

How comfortable are the Clik Elite chest packs (I'm looking at the Infinity or the Micro) when used with a light hydration pack? I just switched from a full dSLR to a NEX 6. I have a F-Stop Loka, which is just giant for that little camera and its tiny telephoto, and a Clik Elite Compact Sport. How well to the Clik Elite chest pack adapters (that would attach it to the Compact Sport) work?

I haven't used the Infinity or the Micro, but I had the larger of the similar, harder style, and I did not like it at all. The smaller ones might be better though.

I've never used a Clik bad, but that looks like a good thing. I'm a fan of the Peak Design Capture Pro for my camera. Leaves the camera a bit exposed, but I'm used to that since I would just hang the camera from my neck before.

I use this bag and the 15L version depending on how much gear i feel like carrying. The bag is very comfortable, low profile and it holds a ton of gear. The inside is totally customizable so i can arrange it to fit whatever i'm carrying. Plus it holds my tripod securely. Then ill generally carry my camera with either a black rapid strap or this. Now if i could just find a bag that i could use while backpacking that would be great.

Anybody use fstopgear bags? Just picked up a Loka and I like it quite a lot.

I have a Loka as well and definitely like it (it even fits under the airplane seat as a carry on), it's just a bit massive for my new little NEX 6. I think the Guru would probably be a better all around fit for my current needs.

I've been using an fstop gear Tilopa bag for years and it's been a great backpack for day-hiking with my camera gear.
Randy, Heronwheels, Thiel & others.
How do you guys carry your camera when hiking with the F-stop gear bags?. Do you leave it in the bag, or around your neck with a strap or a Clik Elite chest pack that Heronwheels were asking about?
I have found that if I carry the camera in my pack, a lot of times I am to lazy to get it out of the pack :whistle: But I hate hiking with the camera around my neck with the regular camera strap.. it swings around and does not allow your hands to be free to climb etc. So I am also thinking about getting the Clik Elite chest pack to use with the Fstop gear Loka bag, but I am not sure if they are compatible and if the chest pack is comfortable.

I know nothing about the F-stop bags, but the Clik Access chest pack is comfortable with any pack, in my opinion. It doesn't matter if it's compatible, you can either use the included harness or attach it to the pack. Even if it was compatible, I'd still prefer to use the harness because otherwise you can't just take off your pack and wander around with your camera.

I agree with @Nick , I love the Clik Access.
Unfortunately my 24-70 Nikon lens is way too big for it and I can't close the Access completely. It still holds my camera with the straps and buckles, but the zipper does go only halfway up. :(
I wish Clik would have a bigger size of the access, but unfortunately they only offer it with the regular chest carrier and that thing is so bulky I barely can look over it and see the trail ahead of me. I had this one first but returned it because it was so bulky

It's a tight fit with my Canon 6D and 24-105, but I get it in okay. The neoprene stretches enough that it hasn't been a problem for me. Much easier with my 16-35 on.

The fstop bags are mostly about carrying a a fair bit of gear to a location then putting the bag down and shooting out of it. They have little/no advantages for shooting recreationally while hiking, but they are superb for carrying a portable studio safely. Similar to the Lowepro trekker series but way way way more nimble and low key.

If I'm only carrying one camera I generally use my Arcteryx Altra frame pack. It has pockets called "wingmen" which are large enough to hold a dslr with super zoom and they can be accessed without removing the pack. I drop spare lenses in thick socks and put them in the main part of the pack.

Last edited:
I know nothing about the F-stop bags, but the Clik Access chest pack is comfortable with any pack, in my opinion. It doesn't matter if it's compatible, you can either use the included harness or attach it to the pack. Even if it was compatible, I'd still prefer to use the harness because otherwise you can't just take off your pack and wander around with your camera.

The Loka (f-stop) bag has D-rings at chest height of both shoulder straps, so I think that makes it compatible with the Clik Access?

I carry my camera around my neck/shoulder at all times while hiking so access is quick and easy. I've tried chest packs, but they just aren't for me.

Randy, Heronwheels, Thiel & others.
How do you guys carry your camera when hiking with the F-stop gear bags?. Do you leave it in the bag, or around your neck with a strap or a Clik Elite chest pack that Heronwheels were asking about?
I have found that if I carry the camera in my pack, a lot of times I am to lazy to get it out of the pack :whistle: But I hate hiking with the camera around my neck with the regular camera strap.. it swings around and does not allow your hands to be free to climb etc. So I am also thinking about getting the Clik Elite chest pack to use with the Fstop gear Loka bag, but I am not sure if they are compatible and if the chest pack is comfortable.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.. I think I will invest in the Clik Elite Access chest pack and see how I like it.
I was looking at their website and they have a new 23L pack called Cloudscape and it seems like it would suit my needs (and budget). So if I like the chest pack I might try out the Cloudscape pack.