Backpacking and Camera Tripod

blueeyes

ephemeral excursionist
I am getting ready for my second big backpack trip and I recently bought me a nicer camera. I have been reading on how to take better pictures blah blah blah.... one of the ways to improve your picture quality is to use a tripod. When it comes to backpacking do you guys take your tripods and if so what one do you recommend? I have a tripod but it is just a cheapy and a bit heavy when you consider you should only carry so much weight backpacking.

This is a tough one. If I'm going to do night shots or dark places like slot canyons, I always pack my tripod. Otherwise, you don't really need it, in my opinion.

You want your backpacking tripod to be lightweight, sturdy and inexpensive. Now pick two of those. :lol:

I have two main tripods that I pack around. One that is quite light but isn't quite as sturdy or tall, and another that is rather expensive but also weighs a lot more. I usually go with the heavier one as I like to shoot stars so much.

My sturdy, light-ish and expensive-ish setup:

Manfrotto 190CX3, Carbon Fiber Tripod - 2.9lbs
with Manfrotto 496 RC2 ball head - .93 lbs (3.8 lbs for the entire tripod with head)
This is my primary hiking tripod. It's big, sturdy and relatively lightweight. It's also cheap compared to a lot of the options out there. Expect to pay $300-$400 for the tripod plus the head. You can go cheaper but add some weight by getting the aluminum version of the same legs.

And my inexpensive, light but not super sturdy setup:

Slik Sprint Mini II - 1.74 lbs, a bit heavier with the new head I put on
So I just found out they don't make this anymore. Not sure if there is a comprable replacement from them. It's a really good backpacking tripod. I removed the center column to shave a few ounces and replaced the ball head with a Manfrotto 494RC2 Ball Head. The original head would have handled my 60D with my wide lens just fine but the slightly beefier 494 could also handle my heavier 18-200. I'm not sure how well it will do with my 5dII although I know at least one person who shoots a 5dII on that head and hasn't had problems.

When I first decided I wanted to shoot on a tripod I bought a cheap $25 tripod. It was actually really light and I hiked quite a bit with it. It was a nightmare to manipulate and very flimsy though. It wouldn't be a bad idea to start there but know that you'll most likely spending more money on something else in the near future. I got something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005KP473Q/?tag=backcountrypo-20

I pack one of these guys, but only end up using it when doing a timed shot with me in the pic too. BUT.....I am very far behind the many photo pros on this site so it might be wise to do the opposite of what i do.

Amazon Link

Don't forget as an option the plastic flexible 12 inch little tripods. (really only good for point and shoots.)
Only slightly better than no tripod, but for the weight. This is what I pack unless I'm expecting a lot of low light shooting.

Don't forget as an option the plastic flexible 12 inch little tripods. (really only good for point and shoots.)
Only slightly better than no tripod, but for the weight. This is what I pack unless I'm expecting a lot of low light shooting.

Like this guy? It was tough to handle the weight of the SLR for sure. For point and shoots only.

IMG_0175.jpg

Like this guy? It was tough to handle the weight of the SLR for sure. For point and shoots only.

It even jiggles with point and shoots. I have the DSLR version of the gorilla pod and I made a movie with my Canon S95 on it a few weeks back. It was sitting on my granite countertops and every time I even lightly closed a drawer or something, the video jiggled like crazy.

I also use the Slik Sprint Mini II and bought a Manfrotto 494RC2 Ballhead for it, which makes it a little heavier and more sturdy.
I used this tripod on my recent trip and took all my night shots with it.
It was okay with my Nikon D90 and 10-24mm lens, but I wouldn't use a long lens with that tripod.
Especially the small size and little weight is a big plus and it perfectly fits into my backpack.

It even jiggles with point and shoots. I have the DSLR version of the gorilla pod and I made a movie with my Canon S95 on it a few weeks back. It was sitting on my granite countertops and every time I even lightly closed a drawer or something, the video jiggled like crazy.
This is what I was talking about when I said only slightly better than no tripod. I was able to get myself in a few shots when I was soloing. And it if used carefully, can do a slightly better job with slower shutter speeds than simply bracing yourself against a tree or what not.

That's the same ball head I currently use....and I hate it. I'm going to be picking up a new tripod and ball head pretty soon to replace my Manfrotto gear

What are you switching to? Aside from the really cheap junk and a couple other non-ball heads, I've never used anything else...

I've wrestled with this too for many years. On a few of my long hikes I began with a nice tripod and then left it at one of my caches sites because I got sick of it! But... just last year I think I finally got the set-up I like. It actually uses TWO tripods. I use the Tamarac ZipShot and a mini-tripod from REI.

ZipShot:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&tag=backcountrypo-20&linkId=NZ7DHXZRSYXIA5HR

The mini from REI I don't see on their site, but it's a tiny plastic thing with rigid 3" legs and a velcro wrap for attaching to limbs, etc. I keep it in my pocket and use it atop rocks all the time.

My priority is weight and packability. I actually keep my camera on a sling as I hike and the ZipShot velcroed to my side. With this method I can quickly set it up for a shot (or use the mini from my pocket) within a minute w/o taking my pack off!

These worked perfectly for me -- but neither would be recommended if your priority is being overly sturdy or needing a better pan/tilt head or more flexibility in height adjustment.

- Jamal

What are you switching to? Aside from the really cheap junk and a couple other non-ball heads, I've never used anything else...

I'm planning on picking up an Acratech GP-s.

It weighs less than 1lb and I like the open design of the ball to help keep it clean. I have heard nothing but good things prom people who use Acratech products. I was originally planning on just getting the Acratech Ultimate, but it will not work with a tripod where the legs fold back over the ball head because of the knob placement.

I've wrestled with this too for many years. On a few of my long hikes I began with a nice tripod and then left it at one of my caches sites because I got sick of it! But... just last year I think I finally got the set-up I like. It actually uses TWO tripods. I use the Tamarac ZipShot and a mini-tripod from REI.

ZipShot:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&tag=backcountrypo-20&linkId=NZ7DHXZRSYXIA5HR

The mini from REI I don't see on their site, but it's a tiny plastic thing with rigid 3" legs and a velcro wrap for attaching to limbs, etc. I keep it in my pocket and use it atop rocks all the time.

My priority is weight and packability. I actually keep my camera on a sling as I hike and the ZipShot velcroed to my side. With this method I can quickly set it up for a shot (or use the mini from my pocket) within a minute w/o taking my pack off!

These worked perfectly for me -- but neither would be recommended if your priority is being overly sturdy or needing a better pan/tilt head or more flexibility in height adjustment.

- Jamal

I was looking at that one today! Wondering if it was any good. I just want one that is lightweight, easy to use, primarily to be used for sunset and stars.

By the way. I just wasted another 1 1/2 on that quiz!!!

I have four different tripods right now. A gorilla one, a really tiny rinky-dink table top tripod, two cheap standard type tripods. I really need another one....not. I don't like carrying the two normal ones around, they are bulky. Anyway... thanks for all the answers. When I decide on what I want I will let you know.

blueeyes - in retrospect yes I would (though haven't done any rs into what I'd get instead). at the time probably not. I felt like it was a good purchase, good weight and features for the price, had it recommended to me by a few peeps.