New camera setup for hiking

pixie1339

Desperately Seeking Sandstone
I just got new toys in the mail last night that I wanted to share with you guys.:) I was trying to figure out a fairly cheap and efficient way to carry my camera hands free when hiking without it bouncing around. The status quo of putting an arm through my camera strap and basically carrying my camera under my left boob was not very comfortable or practical for backpacking. I looked at some chest packs, and in general thought they looked like a decent setup, but there were a few things I didn't like.

A) Most of them are so large that you can't see your feet when you walk.
B) You usually have to wear shoulder straps under your regular backpack to hold the chest pack on, or have to have a compatible camera backpack to attach it to. Not really an option for backpacking.
C) They're kinda pricey.

I ended up finding some items that addressed all my dislikes about the chest packs. Op/tech sells a variety of different camera straps and accessories. You can buy their products through Amazon or B & H for a little less money and for faster shipping. I ordered the Envy camera strap to replace my Canon strap. This part of the purchase wasn't necessary for carrying the camera, but I've felt for a while that my Canon strap was uncomfortable, and the Envy is a thinner strap that has memory foam on the underside of the strap, which feels great on my neck.

EnvyStrapBlack.jpg

The Stabilizer Strap goes around your waist or chest, depending on where you want to carry your camera, and has a piece of neoprene in the front with a hole in the middle that you put your camera lens through. Then you just adjust the strap length to fit you snugly and it holds your camera to your body. Since the neoprene is stretchy is can fit a variety of lens sizes, and I can even fit my wide lens through it with my camera inside of my Zing camera case if it starts raining while I hike. Pulling it out of the strap to take a picture is as fast as can be. And I can see my feet!

StabilizerStrap.jpg

I also got a pair of media holsters, which you slide on to your camera straps to hold spare batteries and memory cards so that they're right where you need them when you need to switch them out.

MediaHolsters[1].jpg

I tried it out last night and was very pleased with the comfort and convenience of this setup, and it cost me less than $40. Not too shabby.:twothumbs:

Cool! That stabilizer strap looks like a pretty neat idea. I opted for the chest pack route and bought a LowePro Toploader Zoom 50AW with the Topload Chest Harness. I got the harness for free(won a gift certificate) and paid about $30 for the chest pack. I can fit my DSLR+lens and an additional lens in the pack. It also has a front pouch that I store my wired and wireless triggers, and extra batteries in. The lid of the pack as an inside pocket for memory cards and other small items. It also comes with a stowable, waterproof cover. If I were female I would most likely not want to wear a chest pack though. You'll have to let us know how you like it when you have a chance to try it out a few times. I agree with you on Canon factory straps not being comfortable at all. That was one of the first things I replaced.

Thanks! I think it will suit me well. Your set up sounds pretty nice, too. I'll make sure to give you guys an update once I've actually tested it on a trip. I did some simulated scrambling last night, and it felt pretty stable.:)

B) You usually have to wear shoulder straps under your regular backpack to hold the chest pack on, or have to have a compatible camera backpack to attach it to. Not really an option for backpacking.

I use a holster bag with a few buckles, clips, and a bit of webbing. This way I can attach it to any pack I own as a chest pack, on my hip, or toss it in the pack if Im not looking to shoot. I dont like scrambling with a few thousands dollars worth of camera unprotected from unforeseen falls and sand.

The more I shoot the less on the trail snap shots I seem to take.

But I am interested to hear how it works out for you.

I sometimes use a cotton carrier system, which is like a harness and you can attach your camera to it.
It's nice and the most positive effect beside having both hands free is the less strain and pain on my neck. It was a big relief for me, because I often got problems with having my camera on my neck for many hours.

Here is a picture of what it looks :

ee40dcb0.jpg

I use a holster bag with a few buckles, clips, and a bit of webbing. This way I can attach it to any pack I own as a chest pack, on my hip, or toss it in the pack if Im not looking to shoot. I dont like scrambling with a few thousands dollars worth of camera unprotected from unforeseen falls and sand.

The more I shoot the less on the trail snap shots I seem to take.

But I am interested to hear how it works out for you.

It's interesting to hear what everyone uses. I like to keep my camera at the ready because you never know when a good shot will pop up, so this should work pretty well for my shooting style. If I have to do some serious scrambling I usually put my camera in my pack anyway.

I sometimes use a cotton carrier system, which is like a harness and you can attach your camera to it.
It's nice and the most positive effect beside having both hands free is the less strain and pain on my neck. It was a big relief for me, because I often got problems with having my camera on my neck for many hours.

Here is a picture of what it looks :

ee40dcb0.jpg

Cool setup Yvonne! Op/tech also makes straps that you can attach to your backpack to keep the weight off your neck. I may end up getting a set if I end up with a backpack that has attachment points. Finding the right backpack is harder than I thought it would be. That combined with the Stabilizer Strap would be pretty sweet!

ReporterBackpack.jpg

That looks awesome. Unlike the elitist photographers in the group, ahem Bill, I love taking lots of shots while on the trail and so I'm not a fan of chest packs and things that involve having to unzip and remove a camera. Let me know how it works out after a hike or two!

That looks awesome. Unlike the elitist photographers in the group, ahem Bill, I love taking lots of shots while on the trail and so I'm not a fan of chest packs and things that involve having to unzip and remove a camera. Let me know how it works out after a hike or two!

I'll let you know how it works out.:) I also like to take a bunch of trail shots. They may not always be the best shots from a technical standpoint, but I treasure them since they represent my memories.

I also like to take a bunch of trail shots. They may not always be the best shots from a technical standpoint, but I treasure them since they represent my memories.

most of my shots are simply trail shots, so I know what you mean. ;) They are nothing special, just snapshots where I never care about a camera setting.
But I like those shots, they are great memories.