Want advice on this tripod....

Archbishop

Make ready. Go forward!
I'm doing a little trip coming up in a few weeks and would like to pick a decent tripod to pack. I This is what i was thinking. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professiona...61119433181?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item3ccbee59dd
I'd love hear opinions on it in general. Not made of money, $150 looks pretty good.
Most of the times on trail I'll probably be using point and shoot, but I may "push" this tripod from time to time with DSLR. My biggest lens is 80-200 2.8. But of course that's the biggest and the extreme one for my uses and it looks like it will work for this lens in optimal conditions. I love the idea that it can also be a monopod. I quite often use a monopod.

I dunno man.. I'm pretty reluctant to buy no-name stuff like that. Especially for $150. I'd stick with something more reputable and likely more reliable like a Manfrotto or Slik. Great advice, eh? :)

Nothing like being able to go to a local store and get hands on with the equipment. Especially if it's "no name" stuff that would otherwise be a fairly big risk on if purchased over the net. I had finally narrowed it down to one I thought I wanted online. (Not the one shown above.) Decided to swing into our local camera store here in town. (Roberts Camera great folks.) Any who, they had the one I was thinking about, but while talking to salesman He steered me in the direction of Mefoto A0350. Fit's my budget, weight isn't bad. More importantly, for a few bucks more there were a few extras that I would have missed if I'd bought online. The head of the tripod I bought was just a better quality. The quick release plate is a standard that I can buy all day long. (The other one that I was considering was not. Also, I think the leg releases will be easier to work with gloves on.
So there ya go. I'll be taking it on my trip this coming week. Hope to be able to deliver a good report when I get back next weekend.

keep us posted on what you think of that mefoto. they seem to be gaining in popularity, but haven't used one myself. looks like a nice pick up.

OK so here we go. Here's a link where you read all about this tripod. http://www.amazon.com/Benro-MeFoto-Travel-Tripod-A0350Q0G/dp/B00820A82K (In other words I'm going to be lazy and simply share my thoughts on using the tripod and skip talking about the specs.)
I took this tripod out with me for a short backpacking trip this week. It's quit compact. I had no trouble strapping this on to my pack. It never felt like it was in the way. I would have like to have gotten this in the carbon fiber, but that was like $100 more and less than 1 lbs saved. (Closer to 1/2 lbs.) It was cold on the hands, but that's no surprise just me whining.
I loved the overall feel of this tripod. For how I used it, it did great. However, there are two things that will really test it's worth out, but I've not had the chance to try yet. First, I'd like to take some start shots, but it was cloudy my ENTIRE trip. Second, I'd like to put my DLSR with a larger lens on it. I only took my point and shoot backpacking.
Here's a list of my few gripes, but not deal breakers I still recommend this for the money.I'm 5'9" to 5'11" (depending on which convenience store I'm leaving.) and it is a bit short to use. I knew this when I bought it though and I just accept it as weight, size savings. The screw that attaches the head plate is not finger friendly. You really need a flat screw driver, or a coin. wasn't a big deal for my trip cause I only had one camera, but if I had more cameras, I'd like to know I could change out the plate on the fly. I really wish the center column could be lowered all the way down. Yes it had an extention that goes up and down, but I want to be able to put the whole column all the way down on the tripod.

I was eye balling that one too. It's been on wish list for a couple weeks. I'll be waiting for more input before I pull the trigger.

OK so I got to use the tripod last night in the house to take some family photos. I put my 80-200 2.8 lens on this. It held it, but there was a fair amount of wiggle. If it were outdoors in the wind, it would probably be a problem. In all fairness though I consider this be a fairly unfair test. The 80-200 2.8 lens is crazy heavy. I didn't really buy this tripod for this use. If can I swing the weight the lens etc. then I can swing the weight of my heavier tripod as well. (In a pinch I could probably make it work.) The tripod for use with the point and shoot should be no problem. I'm confident that use with the DSLR and a "normal" lens should work too.