Advice from Skiers

swmalone

My wife has been wanting to go skiing forever but I have never downhill skied and also hate resorts. I am considering giving in since it will make her extremely happy. The advice I'm hoping to get is about what gear I should be looking at. Ideally I would like something that can be used downhill at resorts and also could be used to sort of cross country ski, and of course reasonably priced is also a plus.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You are diving into the deep end here.

You DO NOT want to use cross country skis at a resort. They are too thin, and just don't work going down anything that is more than moderately downhill.

I was about to type something out, but backcountry.com wrote something better than I can. Here

Most of that is overkill if you want to try and use touring ski's for cross country, but if you do ANY backcountry, none of that is extraneous.

My advice is to rent some stuff, try it out, see what you like before you commit to spending big bucks.

You are diving into the deep end here.

You DO NOT want to use cross country skis at a resort. They are too thin, and just don't work going down anything that is more than moderately downhill.

I was about to type something out, but backcountry.com wrote something better than I can. Here

Most of that is overkill if you want to try and use touring ski's for cross country, but if you do ANY backcountry, none of that is extraneous.

My advice is to rent some stuff, try it out, see what you like before you commit to spending big bucks.

Thanks for the link to the article, also I will most likely rent some things before buying. I might be trying to pack too much stuff into one set of skis with being able to do downhill and some basic cross country.

Thanks for the link to the article, also I will most likely rent some things before buying. I might be trying to pack too much stuff into one set of skis with being able to do downhill and some basic cross country.
Those of us that have been skiing here for a few (tens of) years have multiple sets of skis. We call them our quiver of skis. I personally have telemark backcountry ski setup(s) to go downhill outside of resorts with @slc_dan and others, a pair of forest trail skis (thin, light with fish scales) and snowshoes. I am adding AT gear soon. Others add track/groomer cross country skis in traditional style and others in skating style into the quiver.

Only the telemark or AT gear are suitable for resorts as well as backcountry.

I can only delve into the cross-country ski part. I've done this for most of my life and there are certain things to consider.
There are cross-country skis that work for both in-track and for touring. They usually have numbers or percentages. Like mine are 50/50 so I can use them equally in-track and in the backcountry.
I did groomed trails for a good portion of my life, so I love it a lot.
Especially skate skiing. It's more technical and a bit harder to learn and you need specific skate skis, boots and, poles. Luckily I can do that to a certain amount my ski, but it gets exhausting if you do not have the proper gear.

For backcountry trips, you can use snowshoes or specific touring skis. They are wider and less skinny than regular cross-country ski. You can't use cross-country ski to go down steep hills as they are too skinny. Climbing skins are really helping for some of the climbs or bring snowshoes for that part.

I'm saving money to get a real set of skate skis pretty soon.

My advise rent gear for the certain trips you want to do first and see if you like it before spending big bucks.

+1 for renting until you know what you want to spend a lot more time doing
my classic x-country setup cost maybe $400 and works both on set tracks and sort of decently in the backcountry

Why the resort hate if you’ve never downhill skied?

Def rent first. After my first time (downhill) I was hooked and still can’t get enough. After her first time, my wife has only ever grudgingly scuffed around the learner hill once a season so she can still say ‘we ski’. Lot of $$$ to drop on something you might not like.

I like snowshoeing more than xc skiing, but that could just be from lack of time spent xc.

" Ideally I would like something that can be used downhill at resorts and also could be used to sort of cross country ski, and of course reasonably priced is also a plus."

Although both involve sliding on snow- resort downhill skiing and cross country skiing are at opposite ends of a wide spectrum. Gear that works properly for one will be totally unsuited for the other. Backcountry skiing? Don't even consider that yet if you are new to skiing. While backcountry skiing gear (of which there is huge variance covering the distance between downhill and cross country)- may appear to bridge the gap, and in fact a modern alpine touring or telemark setup will work at a resort, it would not be the best choice for a newbie. And, although such gear CAN be used to shuffle around on- anything even remotely suited for resort skiing will suck the life out of attempts to use it for cross country skiing.
As several others have already said- rent equipment, take an introductory lesson or two to get started, and then spend a bit of time skiing to figure out what you like. My advice is to try both disciplines- my bias would be to start with cross country as it will be cheaper, you probably own suitable enough clothes if you are a hiker, and it will build basic skills such as balance and speed control that are directly applicable to resort skiing should you go that route.
I get what you are saying about resorts- I spent the first 10 years of my skiing career as a strictly downhill skier. I have no regrets about that, as resort skiing was a whole lot of (expensive!) fun that gave me the ski skills to enjoy backcountry powder, but I have rarely been back after taking up cross country and backcountry skiing 35 years ago.

Another option is to buy used ski packages. I’ve seen really inexpensive packages at places like utahskigear.com for under $200. Not out much if you don’t like ‘em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everybody hit the nail on the head - cross-country on flat/rolling terrain and downhill (either in-bounds or in the backcountry) are two completely different disciplines. There's really not much cross-over between the two.

But just to add... if you are spending any time in the mountains, outside of a ski resort, avalanche education is a must. AAIRE Level 1 is good, even a Backcountry 101 course offered by an organization like the Utah Avalanche Center. At the very least, attend a Know Before You Go event (they're at places like REI all the time) and get awareness. Avalanches are really a fascinating topic and the decision-making framework I've learned thru studying avalanches helps me with making complex decisions in the backcountry in general. Anyway, skiing's a blast, go you!

" Ideally I would like something that can be used downhill at resorts and also could be used to sort of cross country ski, and of course reasonably priced is also a plus."

Although both involve sliding on snow- resort downhill skiing and cross country skiing are at opposite ends of a wide spectrum. Gear that works properly for one will be totally unsuited for the other. Backcountry skiing? Don't even consider that yet if you are new to skiing. While backcountry skiing gear (of which there is huge variance covering the distance between downhill and cross country)- may appear to bridge the gap, and in fact a modern alpine touring or telemark setup will work at a resort, it would not be the best choice for a newbie. And, although such gear CAN be used to shuffle around on- anything even remotely suited for resort skiing will suck the life out of attempts to use it for cross country skiing.
As several others have already said- rent equipment, take an introductory lesson or two to get started, and then spend a bit of time skiing to figure out what you like. My advice is to try both disciplines- my bias would be to start with cross country as it will be cheaper, you probably own suitable enough clothes if you are a hiker, and it will build basic skills such as balance and speed control that are directly applicable to resort skiing should you go that route.
I get what you are saying about resorts- I spent the first 10 years of my skiing career as a strictly downhill skier. I have no regrets about that, as resort skiing was a whole lot of (expensive!) fun that gave me the ski skills to enjoy backcountry powder, but I have rarely been back after taking up cross country and backcountry skiing 35 years ago.

Well said, 100 x :twothumbs:

Last edited:
I would probably rent some alpine skis and boots, and take a lesson or two before jumping into an AT or Tele set up. I alpine ski'ed before I tried tele's. I'm really glad I did. Tele was a lot of fun, but a lot of work. Droppin' Da Knee! Skiing ended up not being my thing. I turned to the dark slide! I only snowboard now and I love it. I don't like resorts either which is why I now splitboard. I now ski uphill! I haven't bought a season pass in five years. Snowsports are expensive. You add up new gear, season pass, beers and burgers on the mountain, you can easily blow through five grand a season if you add in snow tires. Powder is addicting. I've had Mad Pow Disease. Theres no cure once you get it. There is never enough. Good luck! Keep us updated on how it goes.

2740nz.jpg

Thanks for all of the info and suggestions. My wife and I typically get in several snowshoeing trips a year and we have cross country skied on groomed trails at the North Ogden Nordic Park. We have attended the REI winter backcountry classes. We tend to not go anywhere that is too high risk but we do carry shovels.

As far as the resorts when I was younger I went snowboarding a couple of times and really didn't enjoy the crowds. I'm willing to deal with it to make my wife happy because she wants to downhill ski. She used to go pretty frequently with her family but they all live about 300 miles away now. I look at see if there are any intro classes that include the rental fees and such. Then my wife can get laugh and get videos of me repeatedly falling. She keeps laughing when I tell her if I try downhill I'm probably going to need a helmet.

Also I have to say looking into splitboarding that seems very intriguing.

And one last thing. I have looked into used gear a bit, but since I don't know enough about what I'm looking at I don't feel comfortable purchasing something off KSL.

Again thanks for all of the input if I actually end up on a slope I will be sure to update everyone on how it went.

I knocked myself silly a couple years ago. On all things, an easy groomer. It was a powder day and my ski didn't click fully into my binding - must have been jammed with snow. Got off the chair, headed down the groomer to the nearest fun-terrain gate (what's the technical name for those things?) and on the second turn, ski popped off and I landed hard on my head - bounced off the ground.

I don't really remember the next ??? minutes but at some point I ended up on the other side of the mountain wondering how in the heck I got all the way over here. At that point I decided it might be a good idea to mail it in for today.

So yeah, wear a helmet :)

I still believe that skiing is skiing and you can do it on anything. That was my attitude when I started doing it in the early 70's. We took wood skis out on Dallas Divide near Telluride and then many times on Rabbit Ears pass (near Steamboat) and found some mellow powder hills.. and made turns. Everyone said you can't use those skis do go downhill in the powder But we did.. And then they said you can't use that same stuff on lift serviced ski areas. But..... we did. Just sayin. "skiing is skiing"
Anyway...... equipment has now been evolving to the point that there is something for every type of skiing. You mention wanting something you can use at both a ski resort and hike some backcountry. AT gear is the latest stuff that gives you top performance for both styles..... "In area" and hike. Biggest problem with that gear is, that it is by far, the most expensive. Skis, boots, bindings, skins and adjustable poles probably $2000 at least!! Although I don't use any of this gear (I'm old school 3 pin tele) this is probably the best route to go for crossover skiing.
I'd suggest renting the stuff to see how well you like it. If it turns out you do. Wait until the end of the season and maybe buy all demo or rental gear at greatly reduced prices. Most ski areas sell gear at the end of the season much cheaper. Many areas have ski swaps too where you can get used gear really cheap.
The other equipment used for crossover is called "tele gear". It is now the equal of most alpine gear except you have a free heel (not locked down so you can hike too). You can either make telemark turns or ski them alpine style (parallel turns). You could still spend plenty of dough on the whole set up for this stuff too. Once again, I'd rent a couple times and see what you like. Maybe find one shop that has all the styles of skis and see if they might give you credit for all your days renting the gear towards purchase. Doesn't hurt to ask.
I could go on and on about this, as I've been doing this skiing thing for well over 45 years and worked in many a ski shop. For me......I don't have all the newest equipment and all the latest stuff, but I still manage to have fun almost daily. Skiing runs, backcountry hiking, and powder skiing. It's all good and can be done on all kinds of equipment . What was a great piece of gear a year or two ago, doesn't mean it still can't be good a few years later. My 2 cents.

@powderglut you have skills and when you have skills you can ski anything on anything. A newbee or newbish to downhill skiing probably shouldn't try skiing on whatever where ever. Equipment has come a long way and should be picked for what you specifically intend to use it for the most.

I have no interest in a split board but if you all are more serious about being in the back country than a ski resort and don't know how to downhill definitely check that out. People tend to pick up snowboarding easier than skiing.

Avalanche class a must
Helmet wear it always

And if your going to buy gear than take the time to do the research and then you can buy off KSL and pick up good gear.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk