Desperately Seeking Sandstone
- Jan 21, 2012
I'm having some anxiety and I could use a little advice from people that know these roads. I'm leaving later on this afternoon for the Coyote Buttes area. I have permits for Coyote Buttes North on Saturday and permits for Coyote Buttes South on Sunday and Monday. I've been planning to go to White Pocket tomorrow. Here's the kicker, though. I will be alone. I could only get one permit for each day. I originally thought I'd have a a tour guide take me to White Pocket and Coyote Buttes South, but they all have a two person minimum, and I don't have enough money to pay for two. Ultimately I decided to go anyway, but I was hoping that the winter moisture would make the roads easier to drive. I called the Kanab BLM office yesterday to ask about road conditions to White Pocket and Coyote Buttes South, and the ranger said they haven't had any moisture down there since September, so there's a lot of deep sand. He referred to it as "fluffy" which did not instill confidence in me. He said people are still making it out there though. I will have an InReach, a set of MaxTrax, an air compressor, a shovel, and a tow strap, but I'm trying to decide if I should even try for White Pocket. I'd hate to get stuck there and miss Coyote Buttes North the next day. I'm not as worried about Coyote Buttes South because driving to Paw Hole is not very far. If the drive there freaks me out, I'll have my backpacking gear with me and can hike from Paw Hole to Cottonwood, and back the next day. Thoughts?