The Pfeifferhorn - July 14, 2022

scatman

Yesterday was my 58th time around the sun, and as I normally do, I spent the day hiking. Usually at this time of year I try and do one of the more challenging peaks in the Wasatch, and this time I chose the Pfeifferhorn. This would hopefully be my fifth time to summit the Pfeiffer over the years. While not the hardest of the substantial Wasatch peaks, it will get your heart beating with the steep climb from Red Pine Lake, and there is a nice knife's edge scramble section that will keep one focused on the task at hand.

The Pfeifferhorn is the fifth tallest peak in the Wasatch, standing at 11,331 feet and is located in the heart of the Lone Peak Wilderness. The trail begins at the White Pine Trailhead in Little Cottonwood Canyon and works its way up Red Pine Fork to Red Pine Lake. From the lake, one works his or her way up the ridge above the lake. Once you have gained the ridge, the Pfeifferhorn comes into view to the west. All one needs to do then is head along the ridge until you hit the knife's edge, which is located to the east of the summit block. After scrambling across the knife's edge, it's a steep climb up to the summit. On the summit, the views are tremendous in all directions.

I had invited a couple of recently retired coworkers (Amy and Jon) to join Katie and I on this hike, but Jon tested positive for Covid on Monday so he couldn't make it, but Amy was glad to give it a go. We met at the White Pine Trailhead at 6:00 am for what would turn out to be an almost ten hour day. The hike up to Red Pine Lake was a humid one, with clouds of mosquitoes to contend with. I hadn't anticipated this, so I just had to suffer. Once above Red Pine Lake, the mosquitoes were no longer a problem. After reaching the summit, we enjoyed a long lunch before heading back down. There were some storm clouds to the west of us that we didn't want to wait around for. We did get sprinkled on on our way back down from Red Pine.

01.jpg
Leaving the trailhead. The first part of the trail is an old Jeep road that goes all the way
to White Pine Lake.

02.jpg
Little Cottonwood Creek

03.jpg
A previous snow slide has caused these young aspen to bend.

04.jpg
On the old Jeep road

05.jpg
Trail junction sign. We will be heading to the right

06.jpg
Red Pine Fork

07.jpg
Typical of the trail to Red Pine

08.jpg
Lone Peak Wilderness Boundary

09.jpg
Columbine were plentiful along a long stretch of the trail to Red Pine

10.jpg
A look across Little Cottonwood Canyon at Tanner Gulch and Sunrise Peak

11.jpg
The old trail. If the Forest Service thinks that this is going to deter the Scatman, they
have something else coming. :D No, the FS has put in some new switchbacks since
the last time I had hiked this trail. They have done a really nice job with the new trail.

12.jpg
At the junction with the Maybird Gulch Trail

13.jpg
The views form the trail are starting to open up a bit

14.jpg
Hearleaf Arnica

15.jpg
Another shot of Red Pine Fork

16.jpg
Bluebells along the trail

17.jpg
First patch of snow that we encountered

18.jpg
Nice look at one of the new switchback the FS has created on the way to Red Pine

19.jpg
Ladybug

20.jpg
Red Pine Lake. We'll be gaining the ride essentially straight up from the center of the image

22.jpg
63 degrees at the lake around 8:30 in the morning

23.jpg
After a quick break, we made our way along the east side of the lake to begin our climb
to the ridge.

24.jpg
Parry's primrose

25.jpg
Upper part of Red Pine Fork - it flows from Upper Red Pine Lake

26.jpg
Heading up in that general direction

27.jpg
A look across the canyon at Broad's Fork Twin Peaks and Sunrise Peak on the Cottonwood Ridge

28.jpg
Following this small ridge to the top

29.jpg
Better look at the small ridge

30.jpg
And yet another

31.jpg
Looking back down from the small ridge to Red Pine Lake and the Cottonwood Ridge across the canyon.

32.jpg
Nuttal's linanthus enjoy the higher elevations

33.jpg
Amy, working her way up the small ridge, with Upper Red Pine Lake (largest one) to the east

34.jpg
Getting close to the top of the ridge

35.jpg
On the ridge now, with our first view of the Pfeifferhorn to the west

36.jpg
Box Elder Peak to the south

37.jpg
Mount Timpanogos even further south

38.jpg
Ground squirrel on the ridge

39.jpg
He was a curious fellow

40.jpg
Some cinquefoil on the ridge

41.jpg
Old man of the mountain. And here you thought that was me. :)

42.jpg
Approaching the knife's edge and the Pfeifferhorn beyond

43.jpg
Working our way along the knife's edge

44.jpg
Amy scrambling along

45.jpg
View down into Maybird Gulch from the knife's edge

46.jpg
Working our way up the Pfeifferhorn. My calves were feeling it at this point.

46b.jpg
View from the top of the Pfeifferhorn to the west. This is a good view of the Beat-out route that follows the ridge off of the
Pfeifferhorn all the way to South Thunder Mountain, where you then drop down into Bells Canyon. Lone Peak is the furthest peak
to the west.

47.jpg
Lunch on the summit. Utah Lake in the upper left of the image

48.jpg
View down into Hogum Fork

49.jpg
Another curious little fellow

50.jpg
And not shy. :)

51.jpg
A look slight northeast from my lunch spot towards Monte Cristo and Mount Superior

52.jpg
Summit shot

52b.jpg
A look to the west towards UPWOP (unnamed peak west of Pfeifferhorn), then Lightning
Ridge, and finally Lone Peak.

53.jpg
Coming down of the Pfeifferhorn

54.jpg
Back to the knife's edge

55.jpg
Chillin' on the knife's edge. Now before this shot, I lost another water bottle down a deep
crack. :mad: That is the third water bottle that I have lost in the last two weeks! At this rate,
I'm going to be bankrupt! @Rockskipper, I may need a loan to continue my expensive tastes. :D

56.jpg
Red Baldy

57.jpg
Hmm.......... It doesn't exist. :D

58.jpg
A look down Little Cottonwood Canyon

59.jpg
Tanner Gulch again with some sunshine on it this time

60.jpg
A look up Little Cottonwood Canyon

61.jpg
A swallowtail on some horsemint

62.jpg
Cow Parsnip

63.jpg
White geraniums were prevalent along the trail

64.jpg
No better way to finish off a summit of the Pfeifferhorn than with a Pfeifferhorn Lager! :thumbsup:

65.jpg
Unless of course it is nachos at the Porcupine! :D

The End.

Last edited:
I invented a water bottle just for you! It's called the MagScatBottle and you wear a magnetic belt that it magnetically attaches to (how else?). If you drop it, the magnetism automatically pulls it back up to your belt every time. You do have to recalculate the declination on your compass every few minutes or so, but no biggie.

Looking for investors...

Well, Happy belated birthday!
That is a great midweek hike.
That Pfieff is still one of my favorites.

Way to get up there. I dislike the knife's edge. I happily stopped there last time, backed up a little and sat on a rock and talked with trailrunning/peakbagging folks as they came up.

Red Pine gets too much love, so those non-switchbacks on that part of the trail were eroding into nastiness last time I was up there, and in other places there were a half dozen social trails getting worn in... so that is good that there was trail work. It has been a couple years though since I was up at Red Pine, so maybe I need to go spend a weeknight up by Upper Red once it dries out a little in August.

No moose or other ungulates?

Happy birthday, awesome summit, and good work getting down before any storms showed up!

Love seeing photos from the Red Pine Lake area. That was the first place Jessica and I backpacked together. Had a sketchy solo outing up to the saddle between Pfeifferhorn and White Baldy once as well. Wonderful part of the Wasatch!

I invented a water bottle just for you! It's called the MagScatBottle and you wear a magnetic belt that it magnetically attaches to (how else?). If you drop it, the magnetism automatically pulls it back up to your belt every time. You do have to recalculate the declination on your compass every few minutes or so, but no biggie.

Looking for investors...

That sounds like just the thing I need. Will you lend me some cold hard cash so that I can invest? :D

Well, Happy belated birthday!
That is a great midweek hike.
That Pfieff is still one of my favorites.

Way to get up there. I dislike the knife's edge. I happily stopped there last time, backed up a little and sat on a rock and talked with trailrunning/peakbagging folks as they came up.

Red Pine gets too much love, so those non-switchbacks on that part of the trail were eroding into nastiness last time I was up there, and in other places there were a half dozen social trails getting worn in... so that is good that there was trail work. It has been a couple years though since I was up at Red Pine, so maybe I need to go spend a weeknight up by Upper Red once it dries out a little in August.

No moose or other ungulates?

Thanks Ugly.

Yes, the old trail was getting out of hand, even the last time I was up there which was six or seven years ago. They've done a fine job putting in the new switchbacks. I definitely think you should make an overnight trip to Upper Red.

No, no moose. :( I was really hoping to see one, and Amy said that she often sees them when she hikes to Red Pine, especially in the morning hours. The only critters that we saw were the small fury kinds.

I should probably make the Pfeiffer an annual trek like Mount Olympus. It such a beautiful hike.

Happy birthday, awesome summit, and good work getting down before any storms showed up!

Love seeing photos from the Red Pine Lake area. That was the first place Jessica and I backpacked together. Had a sketchy solo outing up to the saddle between Pfeifferhorn and White Baldy once as well. Wonderful part of the Wasatch!

Thanks Jackson.

You picked a good place for your first joint backpacking trip. What happened on your outing up to the saddle?

Happy Birthday!

Your macros were exquisite. And those nachos...I am hungry...

Happy Belated Birthday Scatman!

Gosh, so you are 58. Not that far behind me at 65. Hope this next year is your Best Ever with much more hiking and summits in your future! Wishing You the Very Very Best!!!!

PS: Those Nachos made me hungry.

Happy Belated Birthday Scatman!

Gosh, so you are 58. Not that far behind me at 65. Hope this next year is your Best Ever with much more hiking and summits in your future! Wishing You the Very Very Best!!!!

PS: Those Nachos made me hungry.

Thanks Kmatjhwy.

It's a good thing that I don't live closer to the Porcupine, or else their nachos would be on my menu a lot more than they already are. :)

Great trip report. Since you are so knowledgeable about the flora, and I know nothing, this is my opportunity to point out that the peak on the LCC/BCC ridgeline is called Sundial not Sunrise. This is my way of saying I'm jealous of your botanical prowess.

Great trip report. Since you are so knowledgeable about the flora, and I know nothing, this is my opportunity to point out that the peak on the LCC/BCC ridgeline is called Sundial not Sunrise. This is my way of saying I'm jealous of your botanical prowess.

I think Sundial Peak is the one above Lake Blanche.

Sundial Peak and Lake Blanche
01.jpg

The USGS map has the peak labeled as O'Sullivan Peak, but locally it is known as Sunrise.

Last edited:
Thanks Jackson.

You picked a good place for your first joint backpacking trip. What happened on your outing up to the saddle?
Nothing especially terrible, just poor understanding of terrain and poor route finding. I wanted to do a loop from Red Pine to White Pine and out, so I first hit the saddle between Thunder Mountain and White Baldy. Started to make my way down and it was too sketchy for me, so I went back over and back down to the upper Red Pine lake. Decided to see if I could summit White Baldy instead, so I walked pretty much straight up to the saddle between it and Pfeifferhorn, east of the trail people take for Pfeifferhorn. Gained the ride and started making my way up to White Baldy, but it was also just too hairy for my liking, being alone.

Then a thunderstorm started building as I hiked out, and my water filter bag broke as I was filtering water. Still was a beautiful day to be out there, and I enjoyed the high up scenery I saw. Just realized then that I'm not cut out for sustained challenging scrambling while solo. Haha.

Nothing especially terrible, just poor understanding of terrain and poor route finding. I wanted to do a loop from Red Pine to White Pine and out, so I first hit the saddle between Thunder Mountain and White Baldy. Started to make my way down and it was too sketchy for me, so I went back over and back down to the upper Red Pine lake. Decided to see if I could summit White Baldy instead, so I walked pretty much straight up to the saddle between it and Pfeifferhorn, east of the trail people take for Pfeifferhorn. Gained the ride and started making my way up to White Baldy, but it was also just too hairy for my liking, being alone.

Then a thunderstorm started building as I hiked out, and my water filter bag broke as I was filtering water. Still was a beautiful day to be out there, and I enjoyed the high up scenery I saw. Just realized then that I'm not cut out for sustained challenging scrambling while solo. Haha.

Sounds like a great day. I know my route finding skills when I'm scrambling along ridgelines, or up to a summit leave a lot to be desired. :)

Thanks Miya. Nice having you back on the forum. :thumbsup:
I am around. Just where I am living right now has horrible service and I only have internet on my phone. This site takes sooooo long to load anything with my spotty service.
I am hoping I will have access to internet when I move to Blackfoot, ID next month

love the pics and TR.

I gotta get up the Pfeifferhorn soon, climbed it a bunch of times in the 2000-2010 time frame but not since then!

on the other hand after spending a few weeks outside of Utah I'm in pretty sorry shape, I think Grandeur would be a struggle right now :(