North Summit, Mount Olympus - July 3, 2021

scatman

This weekend's hike took Katie and I to the north summit of Mount Olympus. We began at the Neff's Canyon Trailhead at around 6:45 in the morning. We made our way up the Neff's Canyon road until we reached Norths Fork, and at this point followed a trail along the west side of the fork, to reach the bottom of the coulior that would take us up the mountain. This time of year, the bottom half of the ascent has a lot of bushwhacking while the upper half is stair-stepping up rocks for the most part. At the top of the coulior, you have to work your way west until you reach a steep gully that leads to the western ridge of the north summit. Once on the ridge, we worked our way back east to the north summit, which includes some scrambling, downclimbing and rattlesnake alley. We ended up seeing six rattlesnakes on this hike. When all was said and done, I was pretty scratched up from the bushwhacking sections, but somehow Katie managed to avoid any scrapes and bruises.

Here is our hike:

01.jpg
Hiking up Neff's Canyon Road with Olympus above

02.jpg
Crossing the Mount Olympus Wilderness Boundary, near the entrance to Norths Fork

03.jpg
Norths Fork

Here are some shots from the bottom to the top of the coulior
04.jpg
Near the entrance of the coulior

05.jpg
Rocky going amidst all the shrubs

06.jpg
Stonecrop

07.jpg
Buckwheat

08.jpg
Butterfly

09.jpg
Back to the coulior

10.jpg
Bushwhacking heaven. :)

11.jpg
More rocks

12.jpg
More bushwhacking

13.jpg
Out of the bushwhacking portion

14.jpg
Just rock stepping to the top

15.jpg
Working my way up

16.jpg
Getting close to the top of the coulior

17.jpg
Still some scrambling to be done to reach the top

18.jpg
Katie, on a scramble section

19.jpg
Fleabane

20.jpg
Once at the top of the coulior, we made our way west towards the steep gulley - the way ahead

20b.jpg
Arriving at the gully

21.jpg
Looking up the gully

22.jpg
Working our way up the gully

24.jpg
Views to the south from the ridge at the top of the gulley. (L-R) Broads Fork Twin Peaks, Pfeifferhorn, North and South Thunder
Mountains, and Lone Peak

25.jpg
Snack time!

You better think (think)
Think about what you're trying to do to me
Think (think, think)
Let your mind go, let yourself be free

26.jpg
Working our way east along the ridge

27.jpg
Rattlesnake #1

28.jpg
Rattlesnake #2

29.jpg
Some obstacles you just have to go under.

30.jpg
Rattlesnake #3

30b.jpg
Scat blood - a little bit out of focus, but the valley looks nice. :)

31.jpg
Making our way up the chute that leads directly to the north summit

32.jpg
Giving me some photography lessons - an orange-legged drone fly

33.jpg
Views from the summit - Wildcat Ridge to the east

34.jpg
Views from the summit - Grandeur Peak, Church Fork Peak, and Mount Aire to the north along the Millcreek Ridgeline

35.jpg
South Summit of Mount Olympus - the popular one

36.jpg
Summit shot

37.jpg
Zoomed in and looking down on the Jeep in the parking lot

38.jpg
Beginning the scramble back up to rattlesnake alley

39.jpg
Wasatch Beardtongue

40.jpg
Sego Lilly in rattlesnake alley

41.jpg
Rattlesnake #4

42.jpg
And #5 - I didn't get a chance to take a shot of #6, by the time I got my camera out, it had slithered under a rock.

43.jpg
Scrambling back up to the ridge

44.jpg
Mount Olympus spring water

45.jpg
Jeep and Olympus - like a hand in glove. :) Back at the Neff's Canyon Trailhead

The End

Last edited:
that is a large amount of rattlesnakes for one hike, scat

Indeed it is. After seeing the second one, we were pretty carefully where we stepped and placed our hand holds on the scrambling sections.

I just got back from hiking along the north ridge of City Creek, and unfortunately my rattlesnake streak has ended. :( I didn't see a single one, even though I did see this sign.

46.jpg

I've always wanted to do the W Slabs route, but maybe I will wait until snake season is over. :)

With ropes or free soloing? I'll meet you at the top and toast your accomplishment. :)

I didn't include this shot in my trip report, but there were three climbers tackling Geurt's Ridge which leads to the south summit, when we were heading down.

01.jpg
Kind of hard to see them, but one person is heading up just left of the fin. The other is above, to the right of the trees. I'm not sure where the third climber is in this shot.

@scatman - you continue to impress me. That's some serious bushwhacking and scrambling. So.... do tell us how you manage to convince Katie to join you on these trips? What are you bribing her with?

Also on a more serious note- what exactly should somebody do, if one is bit by a rattlesnake? I should know, but haven't had any encounters until the very first one last fall. Hoping to keep the count to 1 (like forever), not 6 on 1 trip :roflmao:

Also on a more serious note- what exactly should somebody do, if one is bit by a rattlesnake? I should know, but haven't had any encounters until the very first one last fall. Hoping to keep the count to 1 (like forever), not 6 on 1 trip :roflmao:
Go straight to the hospital as soon as possible. In the meantime, keep the bitten area below the heart, keep the heart rate as low as possible, and let the wound bleed before irrigating and applying a clean bandage. Your condition will deteriorate pretty quickly after about a half hour, but you generally have a day or two before long-term/permanent damage so if you're way into the backcountry slow and steady is better than panicking.

@scatman - you continue to impress me. That's some serious bushwhacking and scrambling. So.... do tell us how you manage to convince Katie to join you on these trips? What are you bribing her with?

Convincing Katie to go is simple, her college education. :D No, she enjoys hiking, and she enjoys the scrambling, but she isn't so keen on the bushwhacking parts, though I must say, she didn't get nearly as torn up on this one as I did. Maybe she has thicker skin than her pops. :)

She did this hike with me back in November of 2016, and by then all the leaves had fallen off of the shrubs and small trees so the bushwhacking wasn't as bad as it was last Saturday. And of course, you don't have any snakes to contend with at that time of year.

08.jpg
2016 at Olympus Spring on our way up

09.jpg
2016 - Mountain goats at the summit

10.jpg
2016 - Katie is an avid reader and she took a book with her to read while on the summit for this one.

As far as treatment for rattlesnake bites go, what @TheMountainRabbit said. I knew you were supposed to get medical treatment as soon as possible, but I had to Google the rest.

Knowing this, if you took the location of the last rattlesnake that we saw, I'd say that we were three hours from getting back to the trailhead. How would that affect you going down steep terrain, especially the gully, where you don't want to fall? I assume that I could drive my stick-shift Jeep to the hospital once I got back to the trailhead? Or could I? Interesting questions to ponder.

That being said, I really don't mind the rattlesnakes. Except for the one on Mount Raymond a few weeks back, they have always given me plenty of warning that they were in the area. And they are kind of fun to watch once you locate them.

As for my scrambling ability, I'm strictly bush league. There are a lot of people who I would classify as mountain goats, who are a lot more impressive than I am. When @fossana completes her route up the west slabs, that's the time to be impressed. There was a gentleman who fell to his death climbing the slabs this past spring.

Last edited:
Go straight to the hospital as soon as possible. In the meantime, keep the bitten area below the heart, keep the heart rate as low as possible, and let the wound bleed before irrigating and applying a clean bandage. Your condition will deteriorate pretty quickly after about a half hour, but you generally have a day or two before long-term/permanent damage so if you're way into the backcountry slow and steady is better than panicking.

Thanks @TheMountainRabbit - appreciate the info!

Convincing Katie to go is simple, her college education. :D No, she enjoys hiking, and she enjoys the scrambling, but she isn't so keen on the bushwhacking parts, though I must say, she didn't get nearly as torn up on this one as I did. Maybe she has thicker skin than her pops. :)

She did this hike with me back in November of 2016, and by then all the leaves had fallen off of the shrubs and small trees so the bushwhacking wasn't as bad as it was last Saturday. And of course, you don't have any snakes to contend with at that time of year.

View attachment 99798
2016 at Olympus Spring on our way up

View attachment 99799
2016 - Mountain goats at the summit

View attachment 99800
2016 - Katie is an avid reader and she took a book with her to read while on the summit for this one.

As far as treatment for rattlesnake bites go, what @TheMountainRabbit said. I knew you were supposed to get medical treatment as soon as possible, but I had to Google the rest.

Knowing this, if you took the location of the last rattlesnake that we saw, I'd say that we were three hours from getting back to the trailhead. How would that affect you going down steep terrain, especially the gully, where you don't want to fall? I assume that I could drive my stick-shift Jeep to the hospital once I got back to the trailhead? Or could I? Interesting questions to ponder.

That being said, I really don't mind the rattlesnakes. Except for the one on Mount Raymond a few weeks back, they have always given me plenty of warning that they were in the area. And they are kind of fun to watch once you locate them.

As for my scrambling ability, I'm strictly bush league. There are a lot of people who I would classify as mountain goats, who are a lot more impressive than I am. When @fossana completes her route up the west slabs, that's the time to be impressed. There was a gentleman who fell to his death climbing the slabs this past spring.

It's awesome Katie enjoys this so much! An activity to do together. Love the photo of her reading on the summit. The rock kind of looks like a giant piece of petrified wood. And you had a cold beer on the summit?
A November hike is maybe less exciting without rattlesnakes, but the goats are fun to watch too. Hope we never get to experience a bite, because 1/2 hour isn't much time really.

As far as competing with @fossana - just give it up! We all missed out on that opportunity during the very first week of the hip recovery.;)