Mount Superior - July 14, 2023

scatman

Well, I turned the big 59 yesterday, so as has become custom on Bastille Day, I needed to pick a challenging hike in the Wasatch to complete on my birthday. I ended up choosing Mount Superior which I have never attempted before. The peak is located on the Cottonwood Ridge which separates Big Cottonwood Canyon from Little Cottonwood Canyon. The trailhead for Superior is located up Little Cottonwood across from the Alta Lodge. I had invited two friends (Jon and Amy) that I used to work with before they retired, and since they had never summited either, they decided to join myself and Katie to see if we could get it done.

We met at the parking lot just east of the trailhead and pushed off around seven in the morning. The route to the top of Superior isn't very long, measuring in at about 2.2 miles, but it is a steep hike for a good portion, with plenty of scrambling, exposure and a knife's edge thrown in for good measure.

01.jpg
Ready to hike - waiting for Jon and Amy to show up. 59 degrees at the trailhead

02.jpg
The trail starts out on a road, Michigan City Road to be exact

03.jpg
You then have to take a left onto a two track old road that eventually leads to some abandoned mines

04.jpg
After walking the Jeep road for a bit, you have to take another left onto a single track that heads
uphill to Cardiff Pass which is located on the Cottonwood Ridgeline

05.jpg
As you gain elevation, the mountains on the south side of the canyon start to come into full view with the Pfeifferhorn (last years
birthday destination) showing off for us

06.jpg
Old cut tree from the mining days

07.jpg
Cardiff Pass above

08.jpg
A grouse near the trail

At this point, marmots and pikas started sounding off all across the hillside. With their voices echoing across the canyon. Katie spotted a fox above that was chasing a couple of grouse, so we assumed the marmots and pikas were sending out warnings of danger. This was the highlight of the hike for me.

09.jpg
If you look very carefully you should be able to see a fox standing up near the ridgetop.

10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
A tolerant pika near the trail

13.jpg
And a cautious marmot

14.jpg
A little further up the trail, almost to the pass was one of the grouse that the fox was chasing

15.jpg
Amy is the first to reach Cardiff Pass

16.jpg
Well, it is essentially ridge walking from this point as we head off along the ridge to the
west. First stop will be that structure above

17.jpg
17b.jpg
Arriving at the structure. Jon told us that it is used for some of the remote avalanche control apparatuses. Sorry, I don't know the
official terms form them. On the second, shot that is Flagstaff Mountain in the background.

18.jpg
Our first good view of Mount Superior

19.jpg
Looking at the ridge that runs north from Superior

20.jpg
Amy on the ridge

21.jpg
Looking down at Snowbird ski resort

22.jpg
Some beetles were eating the flowers and leaves of a lupine plant

23.jpg
Jon taking it all in

24.jpg
Just making our way west across the ridge

25.jpg
Steepness has set in I'm afraid

26.jpg
Not a good choice to follow me. :)

27.jpg
False summit ahead

28.jpg
Jon, telling me how he really feels about our route. :)

29.jpg
Lots of this to the top

30.jpg
Looking down into Mill D

31.jpg
Fun scrambling here

32.jpg
Yep, that way. :)

33.jpg
I didn't concentrate on taking wildflower shots this trip, but this grouping was pretty enough

34.jpg
Looking at the south ridge of Superior. People take this route to get to the summit too.

35.jpg
Still working our way up

36.jpg
Looking up at the false summit

37.jpg
Parry's primrose

38.jpg
Coming to the end of a knife's edge

39.jpg
Katie, Jon and Amy making their way over the knife's edge

40.jpg
Push to the summit

41.jpg
It almost seems within reach. :)

42.jpg
Summit view - Monte Cristo to the west

44.jpg
Summit view - Broads Fork Twin Peaks also to the west. They are the first peaks on the western end of the Cottonwood Ridge

43.jpg
Summit view - The ridge coming off Superior to the north

45.jpg
Summit view - view down into head of South Fork

46.jpg
Summit view - zoomed in on Mount Olympus to the northwest

47.jpg
Summit view - zoomed in on Mount Raymond to the north, which Katie and I did last Saturday

47b.jpg
Summit view - the southern ridgeline of Little Cottonwood Canyon

49.jpg
Summit view - zoomed in on Lone Peak to the southwest

50.jpg
Summit view - the top of the south ridge of Superior

48.jpg
A bumblebee seems to like the Scatster. :)

51.jpg
59 big ones!

52.jpg
Obligatory summit shot, with Monte Cristo keeping us company

53.jpg
Another shot into Mill D with a better sun angle this time

54.jpg
Time to head back down

55.jpg
Katie is coming back up to the ridge

56.jpg
We took a little different route coming down, and this was a really steep section with a drop off to
the snow field

57.jpg
Katie, carefully making her way across the snow field, with a good look behind Katie of
what the dropdown to the snow field was like.

58.jpg
Paintbrush and nuttall's linanthus

59.jpg
Wouldn't be a Scat hike without some Scat blood. :)

60.jpg
Lewis Flax

61.jpg
Wasatch beardtongue

62.jpg
Almost back to Cardiff Pass

63.jpg
Buttercup

64.jpg
Heading back down from Cardiff Pass

65.jpg
Abandoned mine with a sealed off shaft - Part of the Flagstaff Mine maybe?

66.jpg
We hiked over to check it out

67.jpg
I understand this is no longer in business, but I liked the name

67b.jpg
Back at the Sube.

68.jpg
Not only was it my 59th, but it was my Jeep's 30th. Happy B-day old friend. A calendar shot @Rockskipper. :D

69.jpg
Of course, it's either the Red Iguana (Mexican food) or the Porcupine for nachos on my birthday. As you can see, I chose the nachos

70.jpg
A closer look for you. Yum!

71.jpg
72.jpg
And Sheila picked up this card for me a few years back and kept forgetting to give it to me. I thought it was worth including in the
report. Also, take note of the Polygamy Porter on nitro to go with the nachos.

The End.

Last edited:
Looks like a great way to spend a birthday!

The summit views were/are outstanding. I like how everything looks all green and alive.

30 years for the Wrangler? You should check and see if it is eligible for historical vehicle plates!

May 59 bring you many grizzly sightings, plentiful plates of heaping nachos, and numerous return trips to the GYE. Looking forward to seeing you there in a couple of weeks. :thumbsup:

Happy bdy, Scatster. That Jeep shot would've been better in a bikini. Maybe next year, eh?

Loved the flower gardens. That mountain of nachos was almost as big as the one you climbed.

Last edited:
Looks like a great way to spend a birthday!

The summit views were/are outstanding. I like how everything looks all green and alive.

30 years for the Wrangler? You should check and see if it is eligible for historical vehicle plates!

May 59 bring you many grizzly sightings, plentiful plates of heaping nachos, and numerous return trips to the GYE. Looking forward to seeing you there in a couple of weeks. :thumbsup:

I'm sure it is eligible for the plates.

59 got to be better than 58 was. Right?

Looking forward to seeing you too. Just a question of where on the "Epic" scale it lands. :thumbsup:

Happy bdy, Scatster. That Jeep shot would've been better in a bikini. Maybe next year, eh?

Loved the flower gardens. That mountain of nachos was almost as big as the one you climbed.

Thanks Skipper.

I can't fit it that bikini anymore, too chubby. :D A horse/mule blanket might do the trick though. :lol:

Those nachos are to die for. It's a good thing that the Porcupine isn't closer to my house. :)

Good joke by the way.

Nice job! and Happy Birthday!
I think you are almost smiling in one of these photos. I am not sure if it is because of the number or reaching that altitude.

It's a terrible zoom in from my iphone, but I think if you had worn a brighter quilt then I could have seen you. I tried to send signals with my shiny bald head, but I had the angles all wrong. I was at 11,100'-ish

1689618284720.png

Nice job! and Happy Birthday!
I think you are almost smiling in one of these photos. I am not sure if it is because of the number or reaching that altitude.

It's a terrible zoom in from my iphone, but I think if you had worn a brighter quilt then I could have seen you. I tried to send signals with my shiny bald head, but I had the angles all wrong. I was at 11,100'-ish

View attachment 123088

My view of the Uintas was hazy at best. I could feel your presence though. :D

What do you know about Reid's Peak in the Uintas?

What do you know about Reid's Peak in the Uintas?

It is pointy, mostly free of snow and right next to Baldy :p

I know you climb to the saddle between Reid's and Baldy and then up that edge, or skirt some of that edge and up some steep talus. From Baldy there look to be a couple chimneys or exposed vertical areas that have kept me at bay for ever attempting it. Otherwise it just looks steep.
You thinking of taking it on?

Have you done Agassiz?
Friday we just did a simple, unnamed peak above Long Lake, in between Long's peak and Watson. Since we were near Island Lake it was a short jaunt.

It is pointy, mostly free of snow and right next to Baldy :p

I know you climb to the saddle between Reid's and Baldy and then up that edge, or skirt some of that edge and up some steep talus. From Baldy there look to be a couple chimneys or exposed vertical areas that have kept me at bay for ever attempting it. Otherwise it just looks steep.
You thinking of taking it on?

Have you done Agassiz?
Friday we just did a simple, unnamed peak above Long Lake, in between Long's peak and Watson. Since we were near Island Lake it was a short jaunt.

Steeper than Superior? :roflmao:
04.jpg

Yeah, I think I'm going to give it a go. I'm doing my annual Sulphur Campground Weekend in the Uintas this weekend. I usually do a day hike on Saturday while the others hang around camp. I was supposed to attempt Reid's last year, but in rained and was foggy, so I chickened out and did Bald Mountain again instead.

Yeah, I think I'm going to give it a go. I'm doing my annual Sulphur Campground Weekend in the Uintas this weekend. I usually do a day hike on Saturday while the others hang around camp. I was supposed to attempt Reid's last year, but in rained and was foggy, so I chickened out and did Bald Mountain again instead.

Supposedly you can choose talus by going more to the south, or you can do the blocky Uintas kind of climbing right up the SE. If you do, you will have to give us a go on what it's like.

Even attempting it will be loads better than sitting around in the morning with a bugnet on your head... unless the mosquitos are past their prime at Sulphur compared to the higher lakes.

Supposedly you can choose talus by going more to the south, or you can do the blocky Uintas kind of climbing right up the SE. If you do, you will have to give us a go on what it's like.

Even attempting it will be loads better than sitting around in the morning with a bugnet on your head... unless the mosquitos are past their prime at Sulphur compared to the higher lakes.

I'll put up a report if I'm able to get it done.

Hopefully the mosquitoes have died down some.

Steeper than Superior? :roflmao:
View attachment 123138

Nice horse trail