East Millcreek Ridge - July 2, 2022

scatman

Have you ever heard the saying "the whole enchilada?" How about "the whole nine yards," or perhaps "the whole ball of wax?" Maybe even "the whole shebang?" Those terms mean that one competes the lengthy task at hand. Well, Scatman wasn't able to pull it off. In other words, his eyes were too big for his stomach. :(

So on Saturday, I was up at 3:00 am, ate my breakfast, and headed out to park my Jeep at the Grandeur Peak West Slope Trailhead, located at the north end of Wasatch Boulevard. My good buddy Danny met me at my Jeep at 4:00 am, and then we proceeded to head up Millcreek Canyon to the Big Water Trailhead. While adjusting my hiking poles to the correct length, the batteries on my headlamp died. I brought an extra set of batteries, but I didn't want to take the time to change them right then, knowing that I had time to change them later in the day in case I needed them for hiking in the dark that evening.

My day pack included six 32 oz. Nalgene water bottes, two of which were frozen, and on 32 oz. bottle of Strawberry Watermelon Gatorade. I also packed a lunch and dinner which consisted of one peanut butter sandwich, some zesty jalapeno Triscuits, a snack bag full of jalapeno ranch pretzels, one medium gala apple, a slice of pepper jack cheese, and a few carrot sticks and broccoli crowns. I also had stashed in one of my kilt pockets, a package of trail mix, fig newtons, two Think Bars, and some energy chews. Rounding out my pack was a tripod, a long sleeved shirt, my sun hat, and a small dry bag that included little knick-knacks plus my wallet and keys.

I had assumed that the ridge traverse would take me somewhere between sixteen and nineteen hours to complete, or roughly sometime between 8:00 and 11:00 pm.

At exactly 4:31 am, Danny and I took off from the trailhead. Danny would hike with me for about 25 minutes before turning around and heading back to his vehicle. Since my headlamp was useless at this point, Danny used his light so that we could see where we were going. It was a rather dark morning. When Danny turned around, he insisted that I take his headlamp, but I refused. The first ten to fifteen minutes on hiking of in the dark were rather interesting, but then it began to lighten up a bit and I was good to go.

01.jpg
Just off the trailhead

02.jpg
Trail junction sign - we went left. I think either way gets you to the same place though.

My first point of interest heading east was a junction with a social trail that would take me to the summit of Murdock Peak. Murdock Peak is on the eastern side of the Millcreek Ridge, and borders the old Park West ski resort (not sure what they call it now), located on the Park City side of things. I had to look carefully for this junction because the social trail is grown up a bit, and would be easy to miss, especially in poor light.

Once on the trail, I ran into some deer that seemed curious to see someone at this time of the morning. And as I made my way up the ridge to sun popped out over the distant Uinta Mountains to the east. Nest up was the summit of Murdock Peak, where I stopped and put some sunscreen on, took some pictures, and gazed out to the west to see what lay before me.

03.jpg
Nearing the social trail along a grove of aspen

04.jpg
Two of the six deer I encountered while gaining the ridge

05.jpg
Before dawn light looking in the direction of Park City

06.jpg
No sunlight yet on Broads Fork Twin Peaks, Sunrise Peak, or Dromedary Peak

07.jpg
Larkspur - the wildflowers were plentiful along the ridge

08.jpg
Just before sunrise, with the Uintas in the far distance

09.jpg
Looking up at Murdock Peak

10.jpg
The morning sun

11.jpg
Sunlight hitting a section of the Cottonwood Ridgeline

12.jpg
56 degrees at the Murdock Peak summit. It would begin to warm up rather quickly though.

13.jpg
One hour and fifty six minutes to the top.

16.jpg
A quick selfie

14.jpg
A view to the west, with Gobbles Knob and Mount Raymond just above the center of the image. Grandeur Peak is in the upper right
of the image, where I had hoped to have finished the traverse.

15.jpg
A little better shot of the Millcreek Ridgeline from the summit of Murdock Peak. On this shot, you can see all the major peaks of the
ridgeline, with Millvue, Mount Aire, Church Fork, and Grandeur at the very end, just peeking above the ridgeline.

At this point, it was just head west along the ridgeline, so lets go. :)

17.jpg
The only snow that I encountered on the ridge - just off Murdock Peak

18.jpg
Lots of ridge pictures ahead, with the Cottonwood Ridge in the distance

19.jpg
Looking west along the ridge

20.jpg
First major bushwhack I encountered.

21.jpg
I hiked through a lot of knee deep shrubs while traversing the ridge - mostly snowbrush ceanothus, or otherwise known as greasewood

22.jpg
The north City Creek Ridge and Grandview Peak to the north

23.jpg
Heading towards unnamed peak 8939

24.jpg
Major bushwhack number two.

25.jpg
Shrub city, with and aspen grove ahead

26.jpg
View to the south of the eastern portion of the Cottonwood Ridge

27.jpg
More western views - heading towards unnamed peak 9074

28.jpg
Lots of horsemint which smelled nice. Just and up and down kind of day.

28b.jpg
Can you see the grouse?

29.jpg
Unnamed peak 9074 just ahead

30.jpg
View from 9074 towards unnamed peak 9000 and some small change. :) It has a nice
prominent rock formation to it.

31.jpg
Major bushwhack number three. This one was particularly nasty. :thumbsup:

32.jpg
Still some minor hills to reach 9000 and small change.

33.jpg
If only there weren't any shrubs, I could have probably been there by now. :D

34.jpg
A peek to the south at the summit of Gobblers Knob and Alexander Basin

35.jpg
Another view to the west, from the summit of 9000 and small change. Millvue Peak is directly ahead, with a nice look at Mount Aire
too, and of course Grandeur next to the Salt Lake Valley

36.jpg
Looking up at Millvue. I had to do some slight scrambling off of 9000 and small change

38.jpg
Stonecrop, just off the summit of Millvue Peak

39.jpg
Time to reach the summit of Millvue Peak

41.jpg
Summit shot on Millvue, with Alexander Basin beyond.

40.jpg
A look back at 9000 and small change from the summit of Millvue

42.jpg
First good look of unnamed peak 8490 and Mount Aire beyond

43.jpg
Western Labrador Tea?

44.jpg
First good view of Mount Raymond on Wildcat Ridge to the south

44b.jpg
Choke Cherry and a Ornate Checkered Beetle

45.jpg
A meadow full of mule's ears.

46.jpg
The rest of the meadow - looking northeast

At this point, I was at the halfway point of my journey at approximately 8.25 miles. It had taken me seven hours and two minutes to reach this point. I felt like I was making reasonably good time considering. I was looking forward to lunch on Mount Aire.

47.jpg
Major bushwhack number four. To gain the ridge and unnamed peak 8319 from the
saddle, I had to go through this. Scrub oak is never fun to make your way through, and
this stretch took a toll on me, plus the day was really heating up.

48.jpg
Looking back (R-L) at Millvue and 9000 with small change during the scrub oak bushwhack

49.jpg
Hooker's onion on the scrub oak bushwhack

50.jpg
Once back on the ridge, one gets the first view of Parleys Canyon to the north.

51.jpg
Unnamed Peak 8490 ahead - I'm slowing down at this point with a lot of short scrub oak and shrubs to contend with. The top of
Burch Hollow and Church Fork Peak is visible to the left of center.

52.jpg
Looking back along the Millcreek Ridge to the east. Murdock Peak is the furthest peak just above the center of the image to the left.
Also Millvue and 9000 and small change Peaks

53.jpg
It was like this most of the way to Mount Aire. Aargh! :scatman:

54.jpg
Mount Aire ahead

55.jpg
More Mount Aire. I am getting closer, but at this point I am starting to feel a touch nauseous. Also at this point I realized that I
had lost two of my water bottles in the bushwhack up the ridge. One was empty, and the second had maybe 4 oz. left in it. :mad:

56.jpg
Wild rose

57.jpg
Looking back coming off of unnamed peak 8490. My pace has slowed to a crawl. That is
if it wasn't already. :D

58.jpg
More stonecrop

59.jpg
The next hill between 8490 and Mount Aire. I'm really beginning to feel bad at this point. I sat in the shade of the mountain
mahogany about half way up the image for about twenty minutes. I drank some ice water, and had a bite of one of my peanut
butter sandwich halves. I really didn't feel like eating.

60.jpg
Looking up towards the summit of Mount Aire. This stretch took me forever. I had to
stop at each mountain mahogany and rest in the shade for about five minutes apiece.

60b.jpg
Reaching the summit of Mount Aire. I came back off the top and rested in the little shady spot you can see in the image. It had
taken me over three hours, hell almost four to go the last 1.4 miles. :eek: My thermometer read 91 degrees in that patch of shade.

So at this point I knew I couldn't make the rest of the ridge, and decide to get in touch with my wife and have her pick me up at the Elbow Fork Trailhead instead of continuing on. I then tucked my tail between my legs and headed down the Mount Aire Trail. :(

61.jpg
Another look back to the east along the ridgeline, with Murdock Peak way in the distance

62.jpg
A horned lizard just off the summit of Mount Aire

63.jpg
More wildflowers

64.jpg
The Mount Aire Trail

65.jpg
Mule's ears still popping just off the saddle

66.jpg
Millvue Peak above

67.jpg
Unnamed Peaks (R-L) 8319 and 8490 that I crossed on the way to Aire.

68.jpg
The Sube at Elbow Fork.

69.jpg
The big Thumbs Down! :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

70.jpg
The damage

73.jpg
The next day, we were supposed to get celebratory nachos at the Porcupine Restaurant, but we got the defeated ones instead. :)

71.jpg
Looking out the window of the Porcupine at Ferguson Canyon and the base of Broad's Fork Twin Peaks wondering if
I could make it. :thinking:

Well, I was really disappointed that I didn't finish this one. :thumbsdown: I think the heat just eventually got to me. I ended up doing eleven miles in a little over twelve hours of hiking. I guess this one is just not in my wheelhouse anymore. I ended up about a quarter mile from my water resupply stash, but I couldn't do another hill to reach it. So I'll have to head back in and pick it up, or maybe just finish off the west side of the ridge this coming weekend and get it then.

As far as solitude is concerned the only person I saw was at the summit of Mount Aire; we arrived at almost the same time, he on the trail and me following the ridgeline.

Lessons learned: At the saddle below Mount Aire, I was 4 miles from the summit of Grandeur and six miles from my Jeep. The last time I attempted this, I ended up 0.6 miles from the summit of Grandeur. I guess the almost 58 year old Scat, just didn't have what the almost 51 year old one did. Sigh!

The End.

Last edited:
that's a strong effort Scat. I love the bloody legs, that's how you know you bushwacked. great you called it off before you got into trouble. and very nice to see that there are still central Wasatch ridgelines that lack use trails!

I wonder when's the optimal window for this one? I think in fall the days might be too short, so I guess a cool summer day or maybe as soon in June as the ridge is mostly snow free?

that's a strong effort Scat. I love the bloody legs, that's how you know you bushwacked. great you called it off before you got into trouble. and very nice to see that there are still central Wasatch ridgelines that lack use trails!

I wonder when's the optimal window for this one? I think in fall the days might be too short, so I guess a cool summer day or maybe as soon in June as the ridge is mostly snow free?

The problem is that they don't open upper Millcreek until July 1st. I guess it might be possible to access Murdock from Lambs Canyon and cut a couple miles off the distance?

If that is what the Scrub Oak did to your legs. . . I'd hate to see what you legs did to the Scrub Oak!

Regardless of where you finished I think you put forth a fine effort Hugh. If it makes you feel any better I couldn't come close to what you accomplished in 90 plus degree temperatures; I'd still be struggling to make it up Hill 9000 and small change. I think if you plan on making the hike backwards it will be easier -- your hydration stash is waiting and you already hacked a trail thru the brush. Take a machete this time though, just in case.

Those nachos look delicious. . . but I think a Circus Peanut or two on top would have really added something to the dish. :)

Loved all the mules ears photos. I really like the aspen shot that goes with bushwhack #1.

Nice job, even if you didn't reach your goal. An epic TR. And like they say, if you can't think big, don't think at all.

If that is what the Scrub Oak did to your legs. . . I'd hate to see what you legs did to the Scrub Oak!

Regardless of where you finished I think you put forth a fine effort Hugh. If it makes you feel any better I couldn't come close to what you accomplished in 90 plus degree temperatures; I'd still be struggling to make it up Hill 9000 and small change. I think if you plan on making the hike backwards it will be easier -- your hydration stash is waiting and you already hacked a trail thru the brush. Take a machete this time though, just in case.

Those nachos look delicious. . . but I think a Circus Peanut or two on top would have really added something to the dish. :)

I'm not sure I had the energy to lift a circus peanut to the top of that mountain of nachos. :)

Loved all the mules ears photos. I really like the aspen shot that goes with bushwhack #1.

Nice job, even if you didn't reach your goal. An epic TR. And like they say, if you can't think big, don't think at all.

Thanks Skipper. I still need to make that adjustment between what I think I can do, and what my body can actually accomplish anymore.

I'm not sure if I failed you as far as the water stash is concerned. I think part of your 101 class was that you had to reach the stash. :D I'm still conflicted on what I should do when I go to retrieve it. Should I complete the last 4 miles of the ridge to Grandeur, and then down the west side to a waiting vehicle, or just go get the gallon of water and head back to Elbow Fork? What is the temperature supposed to be this coming Saturday? I'm afraid to look. :D

Here's how you deal with the stash - I'm surprised you don't remember this, as it was a key part of the class, you know, the module called Retrieving the Stash after Heartbreaking Failure. (Focus.) You offer a reward for the stash while playing that old Sons of the Pioneers song in the background, you know, the one Cool Clear Water. Put out some really good clues so you know it will be found.

Now, as for the reward, this is where things get tricky. Maybe you could offer a few units of Scatcoin. Make up a nice certificate to give them and hope they never try to collect in fiat. I dunno, maybe you have a better idea, like a nice glass of Guiness or a guided trip through a Ystone bog or something like that.

But I know this will work and save you from going back up there. As for temperatures, probably hot enough.

ETA: Or, an alternative plan would be to try the whole thing again, but this time hire a mule, guaranteeing success and no need to retrieve any unused stashes.

Those scratched up legs! Man, the bushwacking must have been brutal.
The heat was inescapable Saturday. Some peeps were sick with heat exhaustion at rugby and they were just sitting in the stands.
So maybe it's not just age, as all that full sun and trying to wend through the shrubberies and scrub. There were no bogs or blowdown matchsticks, but those bushwacks can suck the life out.

Still no snakes? The horned lizard is cool, and the flowers are nice, but maybe the snakes were wisely avoiding the sun.

Here's how you deal with the stash - I'm surprised you don't remember this, as it was a key part of the class, you know, the module called Retrieving the Stash after Heartbreaking Failure. (Focus.) You offer a reward for the stash while playing that old Sons of the Pioneers song in the background, you know, the one Cool Clear Water. Put out some really good clues so you know it will be found.

Now, as for the reward, this is where things get tricky. Maybe you could offer a few units of Scatcoin. Make up a nice certificate to give them and hope they never try to collect in fiat. I dunno, maybe you have a better idea, like a nice glass of Guiness or a guided trip through a Ystone bog or something like that.

But I know this will work and save you from going back up there. As for temperatures, probably hot enough.

ETA: Or, an alternative plan would be to try the whole thing again, but this time hire a mule, guaranteeing success and no need to retrieve any unused stashes.

Scatcoin, now that is a keeper. The only problem is that I'm no good with riddles and clues in order to find the stash. :( You on the other hand........ I'm liking it. :thumbsup: I have no problem leading them into Jellystone for the reward.

Scatman, on a mule, on a ridge. That's got a nice ring to it. I like the way you think. :D

Those scratched up legs! Man, the bushwacking must have been brutal.
The heat was inescapable Saturday. Some peeps were sick with heat exhaustion at rugby and they were just sitting in the stands.
So maybe it's not just age, as all that full sun and trying to wend through the shrubberies and scrub. There were no bogs or blowdown matchsticks, but those bushwacks can suck the life out.

Still no snakes? The horned lizard is cool, and the flowers are nice, but maybe the snakes were wisely avoiding the sun.

Yeah, lots of knee deep stuff to contend with beyond the wooded areas and scrub oak. After you get the scratches, even the knee deep flowers start to bother your legs.

Rugby dudes are tough. If they couldn't contend with the heat, then maybe I don't feel quite as bad. :) Maybe.

I still haven't seen a snake in the local Wasatch Mountains this year. What is up with that? I've usually run across at least a few rattlesnakes and gopher snakes by now. Maybe I used up my quota last year with all the rattlesnake sightings.

Blame it on the bushwhack. That looks like some first rate suffering! Good call on bailing where you did- points earned for that. Our local mountain rescue services deal with more than a few each summer, where goal-driven people have continued on in similar circumstances, only to get be-nighted by a slower than expected pace, injure themselves due to fatigue, or take "shortcuts" and get lost or cliffed out.

Blame it on the bushwhack. That looks like some first rate suffering! Good call on bailing where you did- points earned for that. Our local mountain rescue services deal with more than a few each summer, where goal-driven people have continued on in similar circumstances, only to get be-nighted by a slower than expected pace, injure themselves due to fatigue, or take "shortcuts" and get lost or cliffed out.

Maybe a bit of both, though I think the heat took a bigger toll on me.

Great job! I think you had the perfect storm with heat, bushwhacking, and low water supply. I think you should think of this trip as reconnaissance for another day. This seems to be the norm for me anywhere up in the Wasatch as I rarely get as far as I thought I might.

Great effort Hugh! I'd likely have bailed a whole lot sooner! Also, really interesting to see flowering stonecrops. I used to have one as a house plant, and it never bloomed.

Great job! I think you had the perfect storm with heat, bushwhacking, and low water supply. I think you should think of this trip as reconnaissance for another day. This seems to be the norm for me anywhere up in the Wasatch as I rarely get as far as I thought I might.

Thanks Perry.

The water supply was fine. When I realized that my two side pocket water bottles had fallen out, one was empty and the other had maybe 4 oz. left in it. Maybe that is why they fell out because they were too light. :( I still had three other water bottles and one 32 oz. Gatorade left.