Mohican State Park -- July 4, 2023

TractorDoc

Independence Day provided an opportunity to venture out and get more outdoors time in.

Mrs. TractorDoc and I headed to Mohican State Park in Richland County Ohio, about 30 minutes South of home. I have been here before but do not remember a lot of detail from past visits.

I tried looking for information about the area before leaving; from the little I could find online I thought the Lyons Falls Trail would be a good start.

We navigated our way to the trailhead and found this map posted there.

0O7A9997.JPG

Looks like we parked at the right place. :thumbsup:

0O7A9999.JPG

The day was hot and humid, so the cool and shady vibe offered by the towering hemlocks was welcome.

0O7A0003.JPG

Warnings as we approached the first waterfall.

0O7A0006.JPG

Little Lyons Falls. It was about half a mile in, but this little waterfall felt peaceful and (for the time being) isolated. It was one of my favorite experiences of the day.

0O7A0007.JPG

Another half mile walk thru the hemlocks brought Big Lyons Falls into view. A sharp eye may notice someone's lost sandal. . . I suppose it provides some scale. :)

0O7A0031.JPG

Big Lyons Falls was interesting in that you could walk behind the falling water. It would have been a nice place to hang out, but several other people had the same idea and they brought some boisterous children with them, so we moved on. I was glad the kids were having a good time -- I'd rather they be here enjoying the outdoors (vs. playing video games) even if they were a bit much for me. :)

A couple more waterfall pictures.

0O7A0033.JPG 0O7A0039.JPG

Mrs. TD leading us away from the falls.

0O7A0052.JPG

Napping(?) on the boardwalk. I do not know which end is the head, but I would not want to sniff my feet when I am sleeping.

0O7A0054.JPG

Some interesting ground cover on the forest floor.

0O7A0059.JPG

View of the trail.

0O7A0063.JPG

At the bottom of the gorge is the Clearfork of the Mohican River.

0O7A0065.JPG

More wildlife.

0O7A0068.JPG

No Grizzlies in this cave.

0O7A0073.JPG

I checked thoroughly.

thumbnail_image2.jpg

The trail eventually led us to the dam at Pleasant Hill Lake. The trailhead we left from is at the top.

0O7A0079.JPG

This was definitely leg day.

DamStairs1.jpg

The loop trail to the waterfalls totaled about three miles. We wanted to get more distance in so we headed to the Gorge Overlook Trail. It is a relatively recent addition to the park and did not appear on some of the maps.

Looks promising. I like a challenge. :)

0O7A0086.JPG

The upper portion of the trail follows cliff edges. I do not like heights, so I kept my distance. It looks much steeper in person. ;)

0O7A0090.JPG

0O7A0092.JPG

0O7A0093.JPG

Eventually you bottom out and find yourself at the Clearfork of the Mohican River (again). Trail crews have installed a nice suspension bridge to allow dry foot access to the other side of the river.

0O7A0103.JPG

We tested the bridge out -- it had more sway and bounce than I was expecting. We will have to make a return trip to explore more of what the other side of the river has to offer.
Mrs. TractorDoc worked on her balance skills. She snuck in a picture of me with her phone.

0O7A0107A.JPG thumbnail_image01.jpg

The return trip followed a number of switchbacks up the hill. I believe it was only 300 feet of elevation change, but it felt like more with the heat, humidity, and weighted pack.

Many impressive trees lined the trail, including this massive oak. (I think).

0O7A0109.JPG

The view from the gorge overlook once we were back on top.

0O7A0111.JPG

This trip also included ice cream! Stela's in Jeromesville served up this fine bowl of Cappuccino Crunch.

Ice Cream.jpg

GAIA GPS overview. Not the biggest mile day, but definitely a good terrain/leg workout.

GAIAGPS.jpg

The End.

I think you may have missed the grizzly. :) Good to know that I can send you into a hole in the Thorofare if I need to. :thumbsup:

Suspension bridges are always cool.

That ice cream is going to slow you down. :D

So are you at 100% on your training? I'm guessing that I will be strolling into camp about three hours after you come August. :)

So are you at 100% on your training?
100%? :thinking:

I do not think any amount of training is going to prepare me for what you have planned, so no. :)

Putting in my request for freeze dried ice cream flavors. I hope you like coffee and mint chocolate chip. Maybe one or two more.

I wonder what a freeze dried Circus Peanut would taste like. . . perhaps like a stale Circus Peanut? :lol:

Looks hot and humid, just like KY right now.
Hot and humid, yes. Hoping it will be less so tomorrow. . .

It will be all I can do to try and keep up with you and Hugh on this one. Did you happen to look at the elevation gain/loss/gain again for dreaded day seven? :eek:

It will be all I can do to try and keep up with you and Hugh on this one. Did you happen to look at the elevation gain/loss/gain again for dreaded day seven? :eek:

I keep telling myself that my pack will be a lot lighter if I don't save any food for the last couple of days, probably not a good strategy :)

Turner Fork is going to be the beast. :devil:

Independence Day provided an opportunity to venture out and get more outdoors time in.

Mrs. TractorDoc and I headed to Mohican State Park in Richland County Ohio, about 30 minutes South of home. I have been here before but do not remember a lot of detail from past visits.

I tried looking for information about the area before leaving; from the little I could find online I thought the Lyons Falls Trail would be a good start.

We navigated our way to the trailhead and found this map posted there.

View attachment 122464

Looks like we parked at the right place. :thumbsup:

View attachment 122465

The day was hot and humid, so the cool and shady vibe offered by the towering hemlocks was welcome.

View attachment 122462

Warnings as we approached the first waterfall.

View attachment 122463

Little Lyons Falls. It was about half a mile in, but this little waterfall felt peaceful and (for the time being) isolated. It was one of my favorite experiences of the day.

View attachment 122466

Another half mile walk thru the hemlocks brought Big Lyons Falls into view. A sharp eye may notice someone's lost sandal. . . I suppose it provides some scale. :)

View attachment 122467

Big Lyons Falls was interesting in that you could walk behind the falling water. It would have been a nice place to hang out, but several other people had the same idea and they brought some boisterous children with them, so we moved on. I was glad the kids were having a good time -- I'd rather they be here enjoying the outdoors (vs. playing video games) even if they were a bit much for me. :)

A couple more waterfall pictures.

View attachment 122468 View attachment 122469

Mrs. TD leading us away from the falls.

View attachment 122471

Napping(?) on the boardwalk. I do not know which end is the head, but I would not want to sniff my feet when I am sleeping.

View attachment 122472

Some interesting ground cover on the forest floor.

View attachment 122473

View of the trail.

View attachment 122474

At the bottom of the gorge is the Clearfork of the Mohican River.

View attachment 122475

More wildlife.

View attachment 122476

No Grizzlies in this cave.

View attachment 122477

I checked thoroughly.

View attachment 122478

The trail eventually led us to the dam at Pleasant Hill Lake. The trailhead we left from is at the top.

View attachment 122479

This was definitely leg day.

View attachment 122480

The loop trail to the waterfalls totaled about three miles. We wanted to get more distance in so we headed to the Gorge Overlook Trail. It is a relatively recent addition to the park and did not appear on some of the maps.

Looks promising. I like a challenge. :)

View attachment 122481

The upper portion of the trail follows cliff edges. I do not like heights, so I kept my distance. It looks much steeper in person. ;)

View attachment 122482

View attachment 122483

View attachment 122484

Eventually you bottom out and find yourself at the Clearfork of the Mohican River (again). Trail crews have installed a nice suspension bridge to allow dry foot access to the other side of the river.

View attachment 122485

We tested the bridge out -- it had more sway and bounce than I was expecting. We will have to make a return trip to explore more of what the other side of the river has to offer.
Mrs. TractorDoc worked on her balance skills. She snuck in a picture of me with her phone.

View attachment 122486 View attachment 122491

The return trip followed a number of switchbacks up the hill. I believe it was only 300 feet of elevation change, but it felt like more with the heat, humidity, and weighted pack.

Many impressive trees lined the trail, including this massive oak. (I think).

View attachment 122487

The view from the gorge overlook once we were back on top.

View attachment 122488

This trip also included ice cream! Stela's in Jeromesville served up this fine bowl of Cappuccino Crunch.

View attachment 122490

GAIA GPS overview. Not the biggest mile day, but definitely a good terrain/leg workout.

View attachment 122489

The End.
I've been looking at your Yellowstone/Teton Wilderness posts. I noticed this one from Mohican, close to my hometown of Mansfield, OH. I came to Wyoming in 1976 and have backpacked all over the West. I've been wanting to climb Younts Peak for years but my age (68) and the number of griz I've heard about are putting that on the back burner. Will probably return to the Southeast Arm for my 8th canoe trip back there. Do you live in the Mansfield area? Love your postings on that Yellowstone/Teton Wilderness trip! Wild country!

@wyoboy54

If you truly joined the forum in 2019 and made your first post today to comment on one of my posts I'm honored. :)

I live near Ashland, which is about 30ish minutes from the Mansfield area. I appreciate the comments on our Thorofare trip. I truly enjoyed the experience and am a bit jealous that you are so close to such beautiful country.

If you can take a canoe trip to the Southeast arm you can make it up Younts. . . I bet the chance of running into bears is just as good on both adventures.

@wyoboy54

If you truly joined the forum in 2019 and made your first post today to comment on one of my posts I'm honored. :)

I live near Ashland, which is about 30ish minutes from the Mansfield area. I appreciate the comments on our Thorofare trip. I truly enjoyed the experience and am a bit jealous that you are so close to such beautiful country.

If you can take a canoe trip to the Southeast arm you can make it up Younts. . . I bet the chance of running into bears is just as good on both adventures.
Oh yes! Ashland and my high school, Malabar were rivals. It is nice being out here. Spring trips to the Utah canyon country,end up in the fall in Glacier.