Scorpion Gulch, October 2012

I have held onto this trip report for months partially for selfish reasons, partially because I was/am disappointed with my pictures! They dont do this place any justice!

Day 1- I woke up at 6 and made it to boulder just before 10AM to meet up with my hiking partner/guide. We quickly loaded up and drove back to Escalante and Hole in the Rock. We were a bit apprehensive of the road out to where we would begin as we had heard some rumors that it had been washed out. Fortunately while it had been washed out in places others had made new roads around the washouts. Eventually we made it and the fun began....well I will be the first to admit the hike to Scorpion Gulch is brutal! It is long, and in full sun, one of the more difficult entrances to the Escalante, but because of this it also does not see near the traffic other more popular canyons do we didnt see a single soul for over three days! Eventually we made it to the massive sand dune (similar to the entrance at crack in the wall at Coyote gulch) that would be our entrance and dreaded exit later on. After entering the canyon things quickly became interesting: Large canyon walls on both sides, huge alcoves that warranted exploration, and signs of ancient travelers (Anasazi?). After exploring some, including a scramble several hundred feet up into what turned out to be two alcoves that were connected. We made a dry camp.

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_9850.jpg

IMG_9893_4_5_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_9883.jpg

IMG_9889.jpg

IMG_9852.jpg
(Inside the connecting Alcove)

IMG_9897.jpg

IMG_9898_899_900_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_9905.jpg

IMG_9912.jpg
(Some modern petroglyphs?)

IMG_9914.jpg

IMG_9919.jpg

IMG_9907.jpg

IMG_9918.jpg

IMG_9931.jpg

Day 2- The goal was to reach the Escalante River and then explore some of the side canyons leading into Scorpion. We also needed to find water and from previous hikes into scorpion my hiking buddy promised it would be no problem! This was his third hike and the previous two times there was so much water you could swim in some of the holes. Pretty soon into the hike he realized this last year was much different. The places were the water was swim-able in the past was barely there and very stagnant. Eventually we found a small canyon running into Scorpion and guessed/hoped that there would be a small spring. To our delight there was a spring! We now had water so dropped off our packs, filled up our bottles and continued. After reaching the Escalante, eating a lunch and taking a short break we headed back toward camp with the goal of some exploration. Using the ledge system, some steep scree scrambling and at one point a small piece of rope we made it up and into several alcoves high on the cliff face and actually to the top where we scared a small herd of Bighorn.

(Below- pictures in Scorpion Gulch heading toward the Escalante)
IMG_9929.jpg

IMG_9932.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_9935.jpg
(In places I was waiting for a Velociraptor to jump out and eat us)

IMG_9938.jpg

IMG_9939.jpg

IMG_9941.jpg

IMG_9947.jpg

IMG_9962.jpg

(Below-Finally we reach the Escalante!)
IMG_0004_5_6_fused.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0018_19_20_fused.jpg

IMG_9977_8_9_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_9981.jpg

(^ The Entrance To Scorpion)

(Below- Some More Exploration)

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

Day 3- The long hike out...more exploration of alcoves...The brutal hike up the sand dune only to realize at the top that compared to the long, hike out the sand dune was easy!

IMG_0058_59_60_tonemapped.jpg

Below- View from Trailhead)
IMG_9841.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg
(Nick was in one of these canyons while I was in Scorpion!)

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9918.jpg
    IMG_9918.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 17
Yeah...very cool indeed! I'll be in that region next weekend and your TR got me even more excited. Thanks.

Beautiful photos, Matt. Scorpion is one of the last canyons on my list on the western Escalante. Nice to get a good glimpse of what is in store. :)