Buckskin Gulch conditions?

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Trip Reports
Thread starter #1
Hi,
My wife and I are coming over from Scotland to Utah next Saturday and are hoping to start our holiday off by hiking down Buckskin Gulch into the Paria in southern Utah soon after. I wonder if anyone has been down there recently and has a report on the conditions? Are there any deep pools or mud after the flood season or is it pretty dry?

Thanks for your help!

Brian

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

LarryBoy

Hiker Trash
Trip Reports
Welcome B&M! It's been super dry this year so I suspect you won't have any problems. That said, I don't know whether or not the Rabbit Hole is open this year. Bring some cord to lower packs just in case.

Trip Reports
Thread starter #3
That's useful thanks Larry...we will give it a go and take a cord. I guess the dry conditions are not good for the area overall though!
Brian

Trip Reports
Any updates on the conditions.. Did they receive a lot of rain down there the last couple of days?

Thanks

Trip Reports
Kanab's weather station isn't reporting precip for whatever reason. Here is Page's. At least near Zion the major storm that was supposed to hit Mon/Tue then settle down Thu/Fri pushed out and we got our first major dump yesterday. More rain is expected over the weekend.

LarryBoy

Hiker Trash
Trip Reports
@MrDoughnuts best thing to do will be to call the BLM in Kanab; they will have much more up to date conditions reports than a bunch of random people on the internet. They should also have a report on House Rock Valley Road conditions.

Trip Reports
Thread starter #8
Just to say we went into Buckskin last Sunday. We turned round after about an hour as there were continuous muddy pools thigh deep. We had a great time on the slabs north of Buckskin instead. Since then there has been a lot of rain in southern utah and the temp has dropped. It has been snowing raining most of the day in Bryce today.