Grand Gulch water

gnwatts

I will be in Grand Gulch in a couple of weeks, at the mouth of Polly's Canyon. I was wondering if anyone has been in the area lately. I have always found water here. This year has been pretty dry.
Thanks

Still end up going? If so, how was the water situation on your trip?

I will be doing the Kane to Bullet route this week (Nov 16th) and hopefully explore some of the lower GG below Bullet if I find water out there. Otherwise I'm carrying enough for the full 3-4 days for the main route. Hurts just thinking about the pack weight. I imagine Green Mask and Bullet will have water - but this year has been rough for precipitation and all bets are off.

Will post a trip report with water info when I get back.

Well, I found good water at the spring by Green Mask up Sheiks Canyon - tons of it, cool and clear.

The big pour off north of Lion Tracks had a pool I'd only use in desperation. Another group told me they found good water at the spring in Coyote Canyon. Did not check Toadie Canyon. Also didn't spend much time checking around the confluence at Bullet Canyon, as two very large groups, although friendly, were very noisy and had largely taken over the area. I wanted to move on to solitude - but I didn't really see any water over there either. Bullet Canyon had some stinking mud holes.

Heading up Grand Gulch from the San Juan River to Water Canyon. Looking for information on current water sources.

I was farther north in Bullet 3/11-3/13.
It was snowing/raining on and off every day, so water was the opposite kind of problem for me.
The couple of springs we went by were not frozen, but with water coming from the sky it is hard to say if the springs were flowing well, or if water was pooling from the rain. Plenty of different potholes and pools under the pouroffs to choose from.
They have since had "forecasted" rain last week and forecasted again this week, so there's a good chance for water.

I was farther north in Bullet 3/11-3/13.
It was snowing/raining on and off every day, so water was the opposite kind of problem for me.
The couple of springs we went by were not frozen, but with water coming from the sky it is hard to say if the springs were flowing well, or if water was pooling from the rain. Plenty of different potholes and pools under the pouroffs to choose from.
They have since had "forecasted" rain last week and forecasted again this week, so there's a good chance for water.
Thanks for the information, I’m heading there on April 19.

Back