Backcountry Tire Question

Outdoors24

Maybe it’s is an odd question, but for those that spend a lot of time out in the desert on roads/trails what type of tire do you run on your vehicle? I got a new Tacoma a while back and I am starting look into the type of tires I should get when the current ones wear out. I have spent a lot of time on Tacoma forums reading about their recommendation, but I imagine most of those people don’t significant amounts of time in the desert. So I figured I would ask here and see what people run. Right now I have been looking at the different tire load ranges. Some run load range E but others say it is not needed, where a SL tire or load range C tire would work just fine. I am trying to figure out what would work best for remote trips.

On my Nissan Frontier ... Cooper Discoverer ATW LT. Load range E. Added bonus they are great in the snow.

On my Chevy trailboss ... Goodyear wrangler duratrac LT load range C. Not bad either.

Both have seen lots of gravel, sandy stuff. Like the Coopers as in the slickrock trails around Moab.

I agree. I have 60K on them & they still have 10mm tread depth ( 18mm new ).

Running them on my third vehicle now. Great on trails and icy mountain passes both.

I have had BigO Bigfoot AT's (31×10.50 r15) for years, with a full load in the bed for extended time out (weeks to months). Mojave, Colorado Plateau, Rocky Mountains. Snow ,mud, sand, rock. Never had a flat or been stuck. 4wd helps with the stuck part of course. And they are reasonably priced. Have thought about changing it up, but don't see how paying more for the same performance (hopefully) benefits me.

appreciate this thread!

my 2-year-old 4runner is on the tires it came with (which aren't great, but have taken some significant abuse w/o problems so far) and I've been starting to think about what to put on it next...

Falken Wildpeak AT3W is the best IMO. All my tires see heavy rough FS road use so I've never had any tire last more than a year, but the falkens have never left me stranded or having to change a tire no matter how bad the road

Happy after 4 years with Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT on the Tacoma. E rated as our FWC camper stays on for 6 months of the year. Most of the mileage has been on pavement but they do see regular duty on gravel and rougher forestry roads. Desert experience is limited to our annual fall trips, but they handle the typical Utah-Arizona mix of sharp rocky and sandy backroads just fine. As Bob says- decent in snow but I switch them up for true winter tires from December to April.

The a
ATW Coopers have the three peak snow rating on them... Where I'm at can be found on roads the better part of 6 months

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Both the Wildpeaks and the KO2s are my top choices. It seems like I may need to do some research on the Cooper tires that were suggested.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
F Hat Recovered-Yellowstone Backcountry General Discussion 0
P Season Backcountry Pass at Yellowston General Discussion 9
Jackson Yellowstone Backcountry Lottery Results General Discussion 45
Georgia Yankee Where to see/hear wolves Yellowstone NP backcountry in September? Trip Planning 16
swmalone ***REDACTED*** Backcountry Byway with my Dad Off Road 7
Rockskipper Yellowstone Backcountry Permits Available Online In 2022 General Discussion 72
forest dweller Where to go, last minute, early August, with wife, for 2 weeks, with no backcountry permits? Trip Planning 25
IntrepidXJ Arches and Canyonlands National Parks Accepting Comments on Proposed Fee Increases for Backcountry Operations General Discussion 38
forest dweller Grizzly Bear Kills Backcountry Guide Near Yellowstone, Investigators shot and killed the bear after it charged. General Discussion 13
TrektheWorld Backcountry Post Logo - Found! Everything Else 1
Dave Backcountry bookshelf General Discussion 53
Jackson Backcountry Music General Discussion 28
Nick Invite Backcountry Fest 2020 - Cancelled Meet Up (Members Only) 57
Yvonne Yellowstone 2020 backcountry hike questions Trip Planning 21
DrNed Backcountry.com Sues Those Using Namesake General Discussion 2
IntrepidXJ Nick, get a cease and desist letter yet? (Backcountry.com Discussion) General Discussion 32
F Backcountry bathrooms General Discussion 12
S Backcountry camping tips for Wind Rivers - upper Green River valley via canoe Trip Planning 5
Yvonne Backcountry Fest and some Swell explorations Hiking & Camping 8
Stephanie B Old Woman Wash, Three Finger Petroglyphs, and Wild Horse Canyon (Backcountry Fest in the San Rafael Swell) Hiking & Camping 6
Nick 2019 Backcountry Fest Photos Everything Else 100
Nick Things to do in the Swell: Backcountry Fest Edition Meet Up (Members Only) 34
Dreamer Caribbean Backcountry Backpacking 2
McKee80 backcountry campsite reviews Resource Discussions 5
McKee80 backcountry campsite reviews Resource Discussions 0
Nick Invite Backcountry Fest! - April 5-7, 2019, San Rafael Swell Meet Up (Members Only) 274
McKee80 Backcountry campsite selection - opinions please General Discussion 13
T RMNP backcountry- freestanding necessary? Trip Planning 2
NorthwestWanderer June 15-17 Olympic Coast (Ozette Backcountry) WA Backpacking 3
SKLund Yellowstone Backcountry Campsite Waypoints Resource Discussions 1
Shirt357 RMNP Backcountry Sites Trip Planning 4
Nick 2018 Backcountry Post Shirts General Discussion 106
LarryBoy Alone in the Backcountry General Discussion 30
Perry Forgive my Non-backcountry Post... Santa Came Early to My House Photography 15
Wanderlust073 Backcountry Sale Gear 0
Jackson Backcountry Vehicle Miles Per Year General Discussion 8
longtimesun Happy to provide beta on Mountains - New timer to BackCountry Post Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
WasatchWill Oops, I forgot! (Or broke it) - Innovating in the Backcountry General Discussion 9
D Family-Friendly Backcountry??? Trip Planning 2
M Capitol Reef backcountry recommendations? Trip Planning 9
Jen Selling my ultimate backcountry vehicle Gear 4
Craiger Overnight parking in Needles backcountry Trip Planning 1
Bob Backcountry Discount Code Gear 0
C Death Valley backcountry trip Trip Planning 4
someguy High Uintas Backcountry with Goats General Discussion 1
Bob Volunteer Work in the Backcountry General Discussion 0
Vegan.Hiker Album Non-Backcountry Photos Photography 237
Devo Tips for preparing (training) dogs for the backcountry General Discussion 11
C Backcountry Noob in Southern Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
Adventure Dining Guide Cream Cheese in the backcountry? Absolutely!! General Discussion 6