Tires For Older Truck (Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure?)

Mike K

I have a 2003 Tundra that needs tires. The vehicle isn't driven daily so it won't see a many miles (and none of the miles it will see will be serious off-roading). Rather than slapping new tires on it, I figured I'd try to save some $ and buy used.

The classifieds have a lot of almost new Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure tires (the stock tire off of some versions of the Tacoma (TRD?)). Anyone have any opinions on this tire? Are people taking it of their Tacoma's because they suck or because they're upgrading to big, beefy, good-looking tires? The reviews seem good enough from what I can tell. Some of the classifieds are even selling the 5th (spare) which could also use replacing on my Tundra.

Thoughts?
Other good alternatives for an inexpensive set?
Any good websites to research?

Thanks.

Car tires is what the A/T Adventures that came stock on my Taco TRD were. Not even LT rated. Had durability issues with 3 out of 5. They were not really even up to graded gravel road use. Avoid! No idea what an inexpensive alternative would be- I replaced mine with Cooper Discoverer LT (can't recall exact variation). Happy with those.

I have liked Bridgestone.... Now running cooper atx on my Xterra and Silverado.... Always felt Goodyear a bfg overpriced. My Son like toyos on his frontier

@Nick , @SteveR , @Bob : Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. Sounds like those Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure tires are not a good choice. In the end, I'm sure I'll need to spend a little more money to have a better tire and peace of mind for when we do take the truck out.

I did a lot of research before going to Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires on both my van and Element. I had a disappointing experience after previously shelling out for Toyo Open Countries, which wore out way faster than they should have. In addition to the positive reviews, big selling points for me were that the Coopers are not horrendously experience and they are popular with ranchers for work trucks.

I did a lot of research before going to Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires on both my van and Element. I had a disappointing experience after previously shelling out for Toyo Open Countries, which wore out way faster than they should have. In addition to the positive reviews, big selling points for me were that the Coopers are not horrendously experience and they are popular with ranchers for work trucks.

Did you get the 4S, LT, or XLT version? They look like a good all-around tire for a decent price. A friend of a friend recommended these to me just the other day (although he didn't say which version).

Did you get the 4S, LT, or XLT version? They look like a good all-around tire for a decent price. A friend of a friend recommended these to me just the other day (although he didn't say which version).
I run AT3 s and RTX .... Both good in snow.

I just replaced Cooper AT3s on our 4Runner with a set of STMaxx for just a little more protection and traction (and curiosity after hearing lots of great things). The AT3s were outstanding and I’d totally get another pair. I had over 55k on them and they still had some decent life left but got a nice unrepairable hole in one and they were getting close enough it was worth getting a new set.

The ST Maxx are a KO2 competitor and while the BFGs have a long-standing rep, after a lot of research and the recs of the guys at my tire shop, I think the Coopers are legit better. I have at least a dozen pairs-worth of BFG experience with work vehicles and they’re great, but the Coopers are significantly quieter and more efficient on road (crazy good for their tread profile) and cheaper. Can’t go wrong either way though, and the AT3s are plenty great for 99% of users.

Last edited:

I think the submodels are new. There used to be a plain AT3, which is what I have.

I've tried a few different brands on my Jeep Wrangler (Goodyears -- err no, Mickey Thompson -- mine wore out too quick for my liking, etc.). Currently I run Hancook Dynapro ATM RF10 because I wanted something good on pavement and off-road. I do not go off-road a ton but some places here in CO I need to be able to. So far they have been great in every situation from rain to snow and ugly off-road to interstate. I am also pleased that after a year you can hardly see usage so I think they will last me a good while. Just another option for you.

When it is time for new tires I am going to give the Falken Wildpeaks a shot. I have heard good things about them and they seem to be reasonably priced.