Alone in the Backcountry

LarryBoy

Hiker Trash
I think the topic of being alone in the backcountry is both interesting and important. I recently had a close friend get airlifted out after getting badly hurt in the backcountry. Thankfully, he's expected to make a full recovery.

But his experience got me to thinking about going alone in the backcountry. I'm an ardent soloist. Most of my bigger trips are along. Sometimes they're on popular routes or trails, sometimes I'm putting together and off-trail hike through deep wilderness.

I know there are a lot of people on this forum who go out on their own. How do you think about risk? How do you push off loneliness? What are your motivations for going alone? Do you take any extra precautions when you're by yourself?

And if you don't go solo, why not? Are there any circumstances under which you would?

I camp solo 99% of the time, but I do more car camping these days then backpacking, primarily because I have three dogs, and also because I've started having back problems when I carry a pack. But I generally try to get as far into the backcountry as possible, which means I'm typically out where there aren't any people. I use my car as a basecamp and dayhike from it, sometimes long distances, which does put me in situations where I have to be totally self-reliant. This past year it seems like I've been doing more road tripping, though, even though I still camp.

This topic has crossed my mind many times, i.e., what would I do if I got myself into trouble? I have managed to get stuck a few times, but was always able to extricate myself. I know that having a vehicle provides a huge advantage over backpacking as far as safety and even security, as I can I sleep in my vehicle if I see bears or if a big storm comes through. It's much easier to deal with weather, especially wind, when you have a vehicle. And I carry an air compressor, tire plugs, etc.

I go alone because I love solitude and quiet. I see much more wildlife when I'm alone, even having dogs along, as they typically walk quietly alongside me (they're working dogs and very responsive). I also like being able to set my own pace and go when and where I want. I carry a PLB, as well as a small first aid kit, more for the dogs than myself. I'm rarely afraid, primarily because I know my dogs will alert me to any danger, but even in the days when I used to backpack alone without dogs, I was seldom afraid then, as I camped off in places where there were no other people, and wildlife will generally leave you alone. I've been in a few crazy lightning storms that had me scared, but other than that, I'm not superstitious, which I think really helps, as I don't believe in Bigfoot or ghosts or anything like that, so, these things don't even cross my mind.

I generally don't feel lonely, and if I do, it's typically in the evening after the sun has set for an hour or two, then I'm fine. Sometimes I wonder if it's not a genetic thing where we humans are programmed to want to be with the tribe for security at night. If I have cell service, I'll occasionally check in with my brother, who usually has an idea of where I'm at.

I love solo camping and wouldn't want it any other way. People who say you shouldn't camp or hike alone are just programmed differently from those of us who love it. I did break my collarbone once when out alone, but it wasn't a big deal getting back to camp and out. Shoots, I've had more bad things happen to me around the house then out camping. I think we instinctively take better care of ourselves when we're out alone, as we know there's not as much of a buffer.

Last edited:
I think we instinctively take better care of ourselves when we're out alone, as we know there's not as much of a buffer.
I would agree with this. It's interesting you bring up the idea of a buffer. Not only is there less of a buffer safety-wise, there's less of an experiential buffer between us and our surroundings.

When I'm with people in the backcountry, the trip is about the people, and the shared experience. I think back on a wonderful trip I took this summer with some friends - we had a blast glissading down snowy slopes on the first of July in the Bear River Range. That's what I'm going to remember for a long time from that trip. It's about the jokes, and the glissade, and the garlic bread we packed in.

On the other hand, when I'm solo, I'm much more cognizant of my surroundings. I'll stop and look at the geology more. I'll notice flash flood debris fifty feet about the canyon floor. I'll see the wildlife you mentioned. It's simply a different sort of experience.

Now as for myself, almost all of my hiking and camping have been by myself. Guess like above, maybe 99% of the time. There is the rare occasion when a good friend is with me. And personally I just Love Love going by my lonesome when am hiking and camping. There have been many many a hiking trip when have gone all by my lonesome for like a month at a time. Then out for to resupply myself, with right back in for another month in the deep wild by my lonesome self. I just Absolutely Love it like this! It is much as a Rockskipper said above. I love the quiet and the solitude. As for myself with going all by my lonesome, this includes hiking and being in Grizzly Country. Now even in places like the headwaters of the Yellowstone Country ... the Absarokas, I much prefer going all by my lonesome into the deep wilds.

Like Rockskipper I prefer the solitude and the quietness of things. When I go by my lonesome, it is usually the first couple of days on the hike (after being around people before the hike) that I get lonely. This is like on days 2 or 3 or so on the hike, then I just begin to really immerse with all things around up in the wilds. I have been on many many a trip lasting up to like a month or more by my lonesome in the wilds. It is all about living in the NOW ... The Wilderness Now! Have noticed that after several weeks being in the deep wilds by myself, one connects to everything ... everything. The plants and the animals might not speak english, but they can provide such companionship. And personally as for myself being by my lonesome with being in Grizzly Country. I personally 'Trust' those grizzlies more then people it seems anymore. And one reason for this is that a Grizzly does NOT stab someone in the back. I have been backstabbed by many a person and even from a friend. But as for the Grizzlies, have had many many a close encounter, and many of them desire not to have that close encounter with you, as you don't want that close encounter with them. Many of the Grizzlies, the Wolves, and the Wildlife can be such good teachers on things relating to the wilderness and living in the wilderness to boot, besides being a wilderness companion in the wilds. Like have soooo loved the squirrels in camp many a time.

Now as for myself, when am camping by my lonesome, and in my personal life ... I am such a very serious wildlife watcher and birdwatcher. Do think when someone is by themselves, and especially in bear country, it causes them to be more in tune with everything that is going on around them. Have noticed now in my life after how many years of hiking and wandering in the wilds, how much am in tune on a everyday basis with everything that goes on around me. Think it now has become a habit of mine to just keep tabs with knowing what is happening around me. Just a habit which have acquired after years of hiking solo in the deep wilds weeks and months at a time.And soon will be 61 in this present life. And have been going 'solo' into the wilds since about 1978 personally

Now it seems when one is hiking or camping with human campanions, it will distract you some from interacting just with the wilds and your interactions with the other inhabitants of the deep wild country. Because one will get so caught up interacting with your human companions that one actually might miss something. Like I said before, how much can those animals around you or the trees and such also provide such companionship when you are by your lonesome, even though they don't speak english. We are all 'Life' on this planet of Life.

Also when one is by themselves, there comes a certain 'Freedom' where one can do, go, or be as they dang well please without having to talk it over with someone else. If the want to go and hike or camp or such ... it is how they desire without having to talk it over with someone else. Also as for getting in trouble, do think we more watch out for ourselves because of this. This means as for myself, am just that more watchful for to do know that if something happens, there won't be this person or that person to help. It brings about a more self reliance on yourself and on your abilities. But as again like before, with being more watchful with as you do things, but also on that which is ever present around you. But if something did happen when wandering about in the deep wilds .... it has been a good life and personally am not afraid of death for do deeply believe that is not the end but one goes on.

Personally I just love it when going by myself out into the deep wilds. As for myself after an extended time in the wilds by my lonesome, let's say after several weeks ... it becomes like being in Absolute Paradise. Have experienced this many a time in a prolonged sojourn so to speak. Yes it can soooo feel like being in 'Paradise' in the deep wilds after all the initial things fall away at the beginnings of the hike like the fears and worries. But now as for having hard times, I can have a much much more of a hard time when in the middle of a city then ever when being in the deep wilds by my lonesome. I can be much more lonely in the middle of a city surrounded by how many people I do not know and scared for my safety. Then I will ever be in the middle of the deep wilds where I will feel so much at peace and safety. And this means even being in the wilds being surrounded by Grizzlies, for like I said have never been backstabbed by a Grizzly.

Do think being and wandering about by one lonesome in the deep wilds is necessary and would recommend this for everyone to increase one's own innate inner abilities on their ownselves and their own beings. In this modern day society, we are soooo programed it seems to be around others and in the cities and towns. But do think it does good, really really good and necessary, for our ownselves to strike out all by our own lonesome selves for a prolonged ... a very prolonged sojourn wandering time hiking back into the deep wilds. When one does do think they will find themselves actually being back in 'Paradise' surrounded by life, and their own life so much deeply enriched by it all. Then they will never be the same again and will relish the next time they can go a wandering in the deep deep wilds by themselves.

Could easily go on but will leave it with this. Hope it is not too long. Wishing Everyone the Best!

Last edited:
I have solo camped once while learning how to use a hammock, and bikepacked once by myself. I loved both outings! I ride my mountain bike most of the time solo and I love not having to worry about holding someone up on a good climb. I will hike solo and thinking nothing of it. Until I am hiking in the dark with coyotes yapping.

For me I haven't been able to go solo camp because I have kids. However! My youngest turns 18 in two months and I now have more freedom. This coming year I intend to really explore that solitude in the outdoors.

It is my goal to be comfortable with going solo over night. Now, not every trip will be solo because I love planning adventures with my friends. But definitely a goal to get out as many weekends as I can. I want to get past the fear of something horrible happening just because I am by myself. That is an irrational fear like my fear of spiders. I have been camping ALL of my life and to date no major incidences. Some pretty memorable stories, but no tragedies.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Motivation - no one else to go with typically. I don't have kids and have a very flexible job. Most people my age seem to be more tied down. I've also noticed that kids in particular tend to have a really poor effect on physical fitness, lol. Lost some partners due to that.

Risk mitigation - I keep reminding myself that the environment is unforgiving and I have to consider every action. If there's a safer alternative, take it. I also carry an inReach so if I really jam myself up, hopefully the calvary is a SOS button away.

Mood - I don't get lonely, but I've always been content to be with myself. When I do go out with people, it always feels more like some sort of camping party thing. There's always booze, a lot of male-bonding shit-talking sort of stuff going on, etc. It's a blast, but being alone and 100% tuned in to the environment is really where it's at for me. Both for the simple enjoyment of it as well as for the physical and mental challenge of getting through it. It really makes me feel alive.

I actually really don't like going into the backcountry solo. I get bored of just being there myself, and have never really done more than overnights while backpacking. For some reason I can car camp for many days on end, but haven't been able to go solo in the backcountry. It does make it a bit difficult to plan trips. Been doing solo travelling a bit the past couple years, and I don't enjoy it nearly as much, but the few friends that I have that enjoy going anywhere have families and other responsibilities, so solo travel is just something I have to do. I don't worry much about my safety. Grew up doing fairly dangerous stuff around the farm myself before cell phones and constant communication were things. The vast majority of my close calls have been in the "real world" and very very few have been in the backcountry, at least so far. I have started carrying bear spray in bear country to give my folks peace of mind.

I actually really don't like going into the backcountry solo. I get bored of just being there myself, and have never really done more than overnights while backpacking.

There are some pretty good Bigfoot books on Amazon. Guaranteed to cure boredom. :help:

I'm enjoying reading people's responses, as I've never successfully backpacked solo, though I tried once. Didn't have the proper equipment to set up my tent, trailhead was only a few miles away, so I bailed. Hoping to go for the first time during my spring break in March.

I hike solo all the time though, and I try to avoid the stuff that's statistically most likely to kill me: precipitous falls and avalanches. I've backed out on sketchy stuff multiple times, like when I attempted to do a loop going up Red Pine and coming down White Pine. The saddle I ascended to connect the basins was incredibly steep on the White Pine side, so I decided to turn back. Every time I face exposure, I remind myself that falling is the most common way to die in the backcountry.

I actually really like dayhiking (and especially fishing) solo. For some reason, though, when I try to do backpacking solo, it just never works for me. Even when I bring books along!

I love solo overnights. Without others present, I'm free to look at things more closely and SEE stuff. I guess it's how a dog would go if the dog could walk itself... seeing and sniffing and exploring. I make the freedom to go at my pace, and to stop and take that little side trail to see what it goes to and to decide to take a potty stop without having to make some kind of a production with a group stopping and then someone needing to tape a blister or whatever. I'm almost always compatable with me.

I am cautious, because I don't have a backup person to help with something, or to be strong enough to "open the pickle jar" or whatever I can't quite get done myself. I also recognize I don't have another person available to help solve problems. So far, I've been ok. I do try to stay on trails that are more busy, and I don't get super far from the trailheads. As we've heard so many times, most people don't make it a half mile from the road. Often, I find the kind of peace and beauty that I seek within the first couple of miles. So if I find someplace that strikes me as suitable, my tent goes up and I put out the "home" sign.

I've also found that being alone, well, it makes you vulnerable, but it also makes you approachable. I've had people ask me to join them around their campfire or just to chat, because they thought I might want some company. Categorically, we're an interesting lot. :)

The first time I backpacked alone, I was in the Smokys. I had gotten to the shelter, and I was the only one there. I was pretty apprehensive about who my sheltermates might be. Four men showed up (I'm female) and dropped their stuff on the sleeping platform and looked around. One looked at me, and said, "Are you alone?" Hmmm. Well, I was going to have to cross that bridge at some point. "Yes." He asked, "Do you have a water filter?" "Yes." "Oh, ok. We're going to go get some water, and if you didn't have a filter, I'd filter some for you." I was worried about a guy who wanted me to have safe water... .

I get a little spooked, sometimes, but mostly it's like the above story. A few years ago I was the only one at Trapper Lake in Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. It was October and there weren't that many people hiking in the park. It was just starting to get a little dark, and I was sitting by the lake, listening to an MP3 of 2001, a Space Odyssey (I think that's the title). I don't remember the details, but one astronaut had just been jettisoned, and the other voice was plaintively calling for him. As I said, if I got the details wrong, I'm sorry, but at that point, I felt very, very, very lonely. And then it got dark. I was very glad when dawn came the next morning, and the birds sang.

I've only done a few longer trips alone, mostly on the Appalachian Trail. I hope to try a few longer trips this next summer. Short trips or long, I look forward to the opportunity to spend time in special places alone. And whether it's Yellowstone (my county park) or Pictured Rocks (my nearest park before), or the wooded section of my hometown's city park, I always find solace. Pringles

I'm enjoying reading people's responses, as I've never successfully backpacked solo, though I tried once. Didn't have the proper equipment to set up my tent, trailhead was only a few miles away, so I bailed. Hoping to go for the first time during my spring break in March.

I hike solo all the time though, and I try to avoid the stuff that's statistically most likely to kill me: precipitous falls and avalanches. I've backed out on sketchy stuff multiple times, like when I attempted to do a loop going up Red Pine and coming down White Pine. The saddle I ascended to connect the basins was incredibly steep on the White Pine side, so I decided to turn back. Every time I face exposure, I remind myself that falling is the most common way to die in the backcountry.
The drop from White Pine Pk to the lake is just as sketch as it looks. :)

Most of the time I like being alone. I can do what I want, where I want and how I want. These days I don't really worry about getting injured or dying in the backcountry. I used to, but now I feel if it's going to happen it might as well happen somewhere inspiring. I have had quite a few solo canoe trips where I haven't seen anyone for a couple of days. Not talking at all is, for me, a rare experience, and being alone it makes it easy and therapeutic. Being 20 or 30 miles from anyone is very calming for me. I also like to canoe naked, a sight I would not wish on anyone.

I am solo about 50% of the time that I backpack and hike. I enjoy solo trips immensely, but I also really enjoy going with a few select people.

It is definitely a controversial topic, I often get weary of defending my decisions to head into the mountains solo, it seems if you aren't someone who has done it and enjoys it then you just don't get it and never will. As far as loneliness and boredom go my solution is to limit my solo trips to 4 days or less. By the 3rd day I start to get a bit antsy, and by day 4 I almost always feel ready to head home. I always pack an emergency GPS beacon when I am out, and I avoid any areas that have lots of exposure. No peak bagging or dicey passes for me when I am alone. When I am with others I am much more willing to do those things.

I think the topic of being alone in the backcountry is both interesting and important. I recently had a close friend get airlifted out after getting badly hurt in the backcountry. Thankfully, he's expected to make a full recovery.

But his experience got me to thinking about going alone in the backcountry. I'm an ardent soloist. Most of my bigger trips are along. Sometimes they're on popular routes or trails, sometimes I'm putting together and off-trail hike through deep wilderness.

I know there are a lot of people on this forum who go out on their own. How do you think about risk? How do you push off loneliness? What are your motivations for going alone? Do you take any extra precautions when you're by yourself?

And if you don't go solo, why not? Are there any circumstances under which you would?

Would you share the details of what happened to your friend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you share the details of what happened to your friend?

Yeah, he was hiking near the Broads Fork Twins, which definitely has some exposure. He slipped and fell over a band of cliffs, maybe 30 feet. Not sure how long he lay there but he eventually regained conciousness maybe an hour before dark. He was able to call 911 and they choppered him out. Lot of broken bones and some surgeries, but by the grace of God he'll be alright.

Yeah, he was hiking near the Broads Fork Twins, which definitely has some exposure. He slipped and fell over a band of cliffs, maybe 30 feet. Not sure how long he lay there but he eventually regained conciousness maybe an hour before dark. He was able to call 911 and they choppered him out. Lot of broken bones and some surgeries, but by the grace of God he'll be alright.

Wow! He *is* lucky. Good thing he had cell service.