Alone in the Backcountry

I have never backpacked alone, usually those trips are groups of 2 to 4. Although, it seems to be getting harder and harder to get people to commit to even an overnighter, so this summer might be my first attempt at a solo backpack. Any takers? LOL

I do a ton of dayhikes by myself, though. My wife worries a lot while I'm out by myself, but I always do my best to assure her that I'll be safe and tell her where I'm headed and what time I'll be back. Usually my solo trips are off-trail with relatively obscure destinations, so I don't blame her for being a bit worried, but I've never had any major instances that required any calls to SAR or anything like that. Only once was she worried enough to almost call for help when I didn't check in until well after dark. I had hiked into some lakes to fish, but ended up taking the wrong trail and, long story short, it took about twice as long to get back to the truck as I had planned. By the time I got cell service I had about 20 texts and missed calls wondering where I was.

Finding people to go with is a large part of what motivated me to start going solo. People are busy, and most people who claim they enjoy backpacking or hiking go a total of once or twice a year tops. It's not very often I find someone who goes on multiple big backpacking trips per year. Often it's hike alone or don't hike at all, and that's not an acceptable solution for me.

Great thread, thank you all for your thoughts.

I backpacked extensively but have not for a few years now. In addition to backpacking I occasionally occupied/ "guarded" horse packtrip camps between trips in the Teton Wilderness, Washakie Wilderness, Dunoir Special Management Area, and other places. I've awaken to wolves and bears right outside my tent. Great experiences and great real world food.

I love to car camp and dayhike, and most of it is alone. Sleeping in the back of my shelled pickup is easy given hard sided vehicle restricitons and general issues of grizzly country. They've about made me poop my pants a few times. I too usuallly have much better luck with wildlife when alone.

Hiking alone has made me some good money, I've come up with some of my best ideas out there alone. I'm also not very fleet afoot and don't like to feel rushed. Some dayhikes I will take twice as long as others. My best friends know to let me go at my own pace and just wait a bit for me from time to time.

Interesting responses. I just got back from a 2 night trip with a friend (the only person I know who likes to backpack). We usually do one or two long weekend trips each year, but we both have kids and jobs and live 6 hours from each other. All of this means I do the majority of trips by myself. I decided this weekend that I think I prefer to go by myself. I like the freedom to do what ever I want, when I want to

I'm working on training my kids to be good backpacking partners. My oldest is going to be 9 this month and her response when I said I was going backpacking this weekend was "lucky you" so I think it is working for at least one kid.

Taking away the backpack trips for work (back in the day), I have backpacked solo about 3/4 the time. With a wife and kids now, I prefer to go with them but that cannot always happen. I still love to backpack solo and often hunt, canoe and raft solo also. My wife bought me a SPOT several years ago so I can check in nightly and keep her stress down.

I trust myself in the backcountry and therefore my stress level is reduced while out there alone, as opposed to being concerned about others and their needs, schedules, etc. Going with my wife and kids is fun, they are fun to be with and pretty chill. To me there's few better feelings than knowing you are out there and completely reliant on your own skills, decisions, and outlook.

As others have said, the majority of my most memorable wildlife encounters have been while solo. I tend to be very quiet and stealthy while out alone which allows for more wildlife encounters, but I also can enjoy them as I want to, not disturbed by needless human chatter, the pressure to keep moving, etc.

Many years ago, someone told me that it was stupid to go out alone. That told me all that I needed to know about him. I told him that if I only went when I could find someone else to go (or desired to have someone else along), I would have missed out on so many awesome experiences.

Actually, while I'm thinking about it, what irks the cra* out of me is going out with someone and finding out post-trip that they were worried like crazy about so many aspects of the trip. ("I hadn't seen you in XX minutes and was stressing out." "I thought our campsite was too close to/too far from/too high/too low/too (you name it)." "I stayed up all night worrying about bears/wolves/the food/tomorrow/etc.")
What the hell is the point in immersing yourself in an experience that brings so much stress??

Actually, while I'm thinking about it, what irks the cra* out of me is going out with someone and finding out post-trip that they were worried like crazy about so many aspects of the trip. ("I hadn't seen you in XX minutes and was stressing out." "I thought our campsite was too close to/too far from/too high/too low/too (you name it)." "I stayed up all night worrying about bears/wolves/the food/tomorrow/etc.")
What the hell is the point in immersing yourself in an experience that brings so much stress??
LOL - reminded me of a friend of my brother's. All he did was worry. My brother went up into the San Juans with him once and all the guy did was ask questions like, "What would we do if one of us broke a leg up here?" That kind of thing. They got up there and the guy wouldn't even leave camp from worrying, so my brother climbed a couple of fourteeners (Vestal and Arrow) by himself then went home, his friend trailing behind, complaining that he had missed out on the climbing. He had always acted like a seasoned backpacker before this. They're still kind of friends, but my brother won't even car camp with him now.

Last edited:
Now for a story on this topic on a friend of mine ....

.... Here in Jackson, Wy., Bill Briggs is a sort of celebrity. Bill Briggs is also today in the ski and snowboard hall of fame and is known as the grandfather of extreme skiing. He was the first one to ski off of the Grand Teton Peak itself in June of 1971. And when he did the trip, he did it all by himself ... all by his lonesome. There is probably a story somewhere posted online. He used to be my landlord so know the story. Years before he attempted this, he would work for Exum Mountaineering and how many times did he climb Grand Teton Peak. The day that he was gonna do this, several of his friends were gonna join him on this ski descent. But all of his friends chickened out and decided to not to do this climb and ski descent. So Bill Briggs went on all by his lonesome. He climbed the peak and then was the first person to ski down the peak itself. No one would believe him till the next day when he was able to obtain photos of tracks of his ski descent in the snow on the peak.

Just for whatever it is worth.

Well, to me, the story of Bill Briggs tells me that sometimes if your friends are refusing to go along on some escapade, you might want to stop and ask yourself if you're maybe a bit over the edge.

But then, going a bit over the edge (literally) is what can land one in halls of fame and such. :)

Great topic...

Honestly I think 99% of my hiking and backpacking is solo style. For many reasons it just works out better for me. When I am by myself I feel I can focus on nature, wildlife, challenging myself, etc. Seems like when I have someone with me, we are chatting, BSing or I am getting a bunch of questions on hiking, backpacking, "what is this"... "what is that", etc. Now that is not everyone I have gone hiking with, but seems like the last few years the only ones I get to go out with me are more novice that I am so they are looking to learn. I do not mind that in the least, but it takes away from enjoying places in ways. I can say I do occasionally like to go with others because I can learn as well. Anyone who thinks they know all of it is bound to find trouble some time out there.

I do occasionally get a bit antsy but usually I turn the focus on my surroundings, or if its at night I do take a book with me. I will confess that I did take my tablet with me twice to watch downloaded episodes of some show... but those were both multi-day trips :) . Otherwise, I enjoy the sounds of nature, looking for what is making that noise, or looking for wildlife as I scramble up mountains or down trails. I think more than once I have had chats with marmots, squirrels, birds, or other wildlife that did not take off when they saw me lol. I think when you are with people you miss out on the opportunity to listen to nature and to find that part of yourself.

Now I will say there was one time I let myself get distracted and stupid in Bandelier National Monument and got way off trail (the wildfire there trashed many of the trails) and then mis-judged my corrections so that I added miles to my trek back to the trailhead and with a little overweighted pack to boot. After that fiasco I am more determined to know my routes, have my maps and other nav stuff and be prepared for all possible circumstances.

Solo is not for everyone, but I have yet to find a trail or a trip that was not doable solo style.

I'll just echo much of what others have already said...I've done a number of solo trips over the last few years now...only one that was more than 2 nights as I recall though. Most have been closer to home right here in the Wasatch Mountains where someone is almost always bound to be within shouting distance somewhere and where cell service is often plentiful. That said, I do have an InReach now and a can of bear spray, both together, make me feel a lot more confident be alone out there now, though I still shy away from areas of high exposure, big water obstacles, and what not. Going solo does have its benefits as others have said, such as being able to go at your own pace, breaking when you want to break, taking photos of whatever and whenever, observing more wildlife, being able to camp in tighter places with more variety, and of course being able to just immerse yourself in your surroundings and soak the environment around you, to really connect with the natural world and be at one with it.

Of course, I enjoy good company equally as well. Sharing great views together, campfire chats, and just making good memories together in general while out enjoying great scenery is a fantastic recipe for fun and adventure.

I'll just echo much of what others have already said...I've done a number of solo trips over the last few years now...only one that was more than 2 nights as I recall though. Most have been closer to home right here in the Wasatch Mountains where someone is almost always bound to be within shouting distance somewhere and where cell service is often plentiful. That said, I do have an InReach now and a can of bear spray, both together, make me feel a lot more confident be alone out there now, though I still shy away from areas of high exposure, big water obstacles, and what not. Going solo does have its benefits as others have said, such as being able to go at your own pace, breaking when you want to break, taking photos of whatever and whenever, observing more wildlife, being able to camp in tighter places with more variety, and of course being able to just immerse yourself in your surroundings and soak the environment around you, to really connect with the natural world and be at one with it.

Of course, I enjoy good company equally as well. Sharing great views together, campfire chats, and just making good memories together in general while out enjoying great scenery is a fantastic recipe for fun and adventure.
That's another really good point: dolo, you can camp almost anywhere. With a two person tent, or two tents, your options are way more limited