Backcountry camping tips for Wind Rivers - upper Green River valley via canoe

spelo5967

Very inexperienced backcountry camper here. Planning dream trip of canoeing up the Green River from Green River Lakes Campground and camping overnight on side of river. I'm concerned that being close to a river in a narrow canyon like that will increase the chances of having a run in with large fauna like bear and moose. Also, would think that there might be some nice little backcountry sites tucked away that we could use. We hiked about 10 miles up the valley a few years ago and there was a simply perfect site right before the trail started climbing in earnest. So I know there's stuff like that out there - I just don't know where it is! If anyone can point me to some sort of guide or resource for finding sites like that (and tips on avoiding wildlife), I would appreciate it greatly. FYI - I've been looking at the topos and have my eye on a small bluff on the SW side of the river at about the 6 mile mark of the trail from the campground (43.245, -109.81). There's good river access right at the north of the bluff and I was thinking it might make sense to get up on the bluff or behind it to get away from the river.

This should help a bit.

From the Bridger-Teton NF website for the Bridger Wilderness:
Campsites
To reduce impacts to soils, vegetation, wildlife and other visitors and prevent water pollution:
  • Campsites must be located at least 200 feet away from a lake shore or forest service system trail and 100 feet away from streams, creeks or springs
Staying at least 100 feet from the river and 200 feet from the trail will reduce the potential for having a moose or bear walk through your campsite. Water (or lack thereof) may be an issue up on that bluff but maybe there's a flat spot in the trees by the good river access you mention. Just across the river from that bluff that is an open dry area (43.2457, -109.8061) that looks flat and will allow you to meet the wilderness requirements regarding distances from trails and waterways, and allows easy access to the river.

Make certain to carry bear spray up there and keep a clean camp. That's the area on the western side of the Winds where griz are found most often. Cattle grazing territory. Also make certain you don't set up camp near any dead standing pines. I've seen quite a few moose in the meadows around the lakes and on the trail, particularly early morning. Have a great trip!

There were some really great flat spots we camped at just north of Square Top mountain on the east side of the river. I'm not sure if that's far enough up the river for you. Also, there looked to be some good spots on the west side of the river where the trail crosses the Green River for the second time before it starts climbing up and heading towards Trail Park/Trail Creek Park but I'm not sure about water access there. The first place I mentioned had great water access.

One thing I have done in the past is call the closest ranger station and ask a lot of questions about local conditions, rules, and camping spots. It was extremely helpful.

Thanks to all for the good info. For some reason, I wasn't getting any email notifications on these responses, despite having all the right boxes checked. Thought I was hearing nothing but crickets.... This should be enough to come up with a plan, now it's up to the weather to cooperate.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Yellowstone Backcountry Hiking/Camping Trip Planning 0
F Hat Recovered-Yellowstone Backcountry General Discussion 0
Outdoors24 Backcountry Tire Question General Discussion 12
P Season Backcountry Pass at Yellowston General Discussion 9
Jackson Yellowstone Backcountry Lottery Results General Discussion 45
Georgia Yankee Where to see/hear wolves Yellowstone NP backcountry in September? Trip Planning 16
swmalone ***REDACTED*** Backcountry Byway with my Dad Off Road 7
Rockskipper Yellowstone Backcountry Permits Available Online In 2022 General Discussion 72
forest dweller Where to go, last minute, early August, with wife, for 2 weeks, with no backcountry permits? Trip Planning 25
IntrepidXJ Arches and Canyonlands National Parks Accepting Comments on Proposed Fee Increases for Backcountry Operations General Discussion 38
forest dweller Grizzly Bear Kills Backcountry Guide Near Yellowstone, Investigators shot and killed the bear after it charged. General Discussion 13
TrektheWorld Backcountry Post Logo - Found! Everything Else 1
Dave Backcountry bookshelf General Discussion 53
Jackson Backcountry Music General Discussion 28
Nick Invite Backcountry Fest 2020 - Cancelled Meet Up (Members Only) 57
Yvonne Yellowstone 2020 backcountry hike questions Trip Planning 21
DrNed Backcountry.com Sues Those Using Namesake General Discussion 2
IntrepidXJ Nick, get a cease and desist letter yet? (Backcountry.com Discussion) General Discussion 32
F Backcountry bathrooms General Discussion 12
Yvonne Backcountry Fest and some Swell explorations Hiking & Camping 8
Stephanie B Old Woman Wash, Three Finger Petroglyphs, and Wild Horse Canyon (Backcountry Fest in the San Rafael Swell) Hiking & Camping 6
Nick 2019 Backcountry Fest Photos Everything Else 100
Nick Things to do in the Swell: Backcountry Fest Edition Meet Up (Members Only) 34
Dreamer Caribbean Backcountry Backpacking 2
McKee80 backcountry campsite reviews Resource Discussions 5
McKee80 backcountry campsite reviews Resource Discussions 0
Nick Invite Backcountry Fest! - April 5-7, 2019, San Rafael Swell Meet Up (Members Only) 274
McKee80 Backcountry campsite selection - opinions please General Discussion 13
T RMNP backcountry- freestanding necessary? Trip Planning 2
NorthwestWanderer June 15-17 Olympic Coast (Ozette Backcountry) WA Backpacking 3
SKLund Yellowstone Backcountry Campsite Waypoints Resource Discussions 1
Shirt357 RMNP Backcountry Sites Trip Planning 4
Nick 2018 Backcountry Post Shirts General Discussion 106
LarryBoy Alone in the Backcountry General Discussion 30
Perry Forgive my Non-backcountry Post... Santa Came Early to My House Photography 15
Wanderlust073 Backcountry Sale Gear 0
Jackson Backcountry Vehicle Miles Per Year General Discussion 8
longtimesun Happy to provide beta on Mountains - New timer to BackCountry Post Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
WasatchWill Oops, I forgot! (Or broke it) - Innovating in the Backcountry General Discussion 9
D Family-Friendly Backcountry??? Trip Planning 2
M Capitol Reef backcountry recommendations? Trip Planning 9
Jen Selling my ultimate backcountry vehicle Gear 4
Craiger Overnight parking in Needles backcountry Trip Planning 1
Bob Backcountry Discount Code Gear 0
C Death Valley backcountry trip Trip Planning 4
someguy High Uintas Backcountry with Goats General Discussion 1
Bob Volunteer Work in the Backcountry General Discussion 0
Vegan.Hiker Album Non-Backcountry Photos Photography 237
Devo Tips for preparing (training) dogs for the backcountry General Discussion 11
C Backcountry Noob in Southern Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2