Question on possible critters n south central Utah.....

John Kerby

Any of you guys ever see rattlesnakes, or other unfriendly locals on your hikes in the area? On my last and only Death Holow hike, I saw no spiders, skorpions, or snakes. Not that that dissapoints me......I'd prefer NOT to see them. But are they that common? On my coming trip, I have a 13 year old girl coming in the group, and my concern is any possible danger for HER......Am I just being paranoid? I know, the chances of any encounter are extremely slim....

You're just being paranoid, but there are plenty of critters out there. I see lots of spiders after dark. And rodents. Hell, I think rodents are the real problem. Once, right at dusk, I saw rodents and spiders brawling all around our tarp. Granted, the rodents were winning, but what a sight... I see a snake once in a while but not often. Maybe a half dozen per year (in 50+ bag nights). Just saw one last weekend. Same for scorpions but most of those that I've seen have been burrowed in underneath my tent in the morning. Just looking for a warm place to go to sleep.

Moonshine Wash:
moonshine-keg-knoll-7-jpg.6863

Chesler Park:
scorpion.jpg

Lets see last August one night out hiking in the desert I came close to stepping on a rattle snake and then the next day on another evening hike in a different area of southern Utah we saw a rattle snake. In all in the past year I have seen five. Two more while mountain biking and the last one my son about stepped on (another early evening hike). I have a picture of that one somewhere. His friend was paying better attention and kept him from stepping on it as it crossed the trail. They are out there!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

As I've always said, I must be some kind of weird anti-critter, because I never see any of these things. The only snake I've EVER seen in Utah was the snake pictured above because Nick told me where to look the day after he saw it. I've never seen a scorpion. When it comes to southern Utah, if it's not a raven or a lizard, I haven't seen it.

My other theory is that I'm always looking into the distance and never noticing what's right in front of me.

But I agree with the others: I never worry about animals, especially in southern Utah. Personally, I think that the cliffs and high drops are far more of a concern in southern Utah than the animals. Animals are only around sometimes...gravity is always around.

I only worry about rattle snakes and have only ever encountered maybe 6 in 20 plus years. Four of them happened to be in one hike to the top of Mt. Ogden in the span of about 2 hours. The others were in the Canyonlands area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

here around Boulder & Escalante I've mostly seen scorpions and black widows. i still have not seen a midget rattler (or any rattler) since moving here 5 years ago. seen plenty of gopher snakes though. if you ever want to make sure that no creepy crawlies bother you overnight, bed down under a juniper in the duff. it is a natural insect repellent.

Any poisonous skorpions? What should I pick up to make a good snakebite kit? I am not THAT worried, but I still have a couple months before I go, and figure I can prepare a bit......

Anyone sell a GOOD snakebite kit?

Never seen a skorpion before (live in kansas, pretty rare).....

Any of these rattlesnakes blend in well to the area? I am thinking of kansas rattlers, that have AWESOME camo to blend in....

In my nearly ten years exploring central Utah, I've seen only four rattlers, and no other creepy-crawlies that would give me pause. Then again, I always sleep in a tent so they can't get in! :D I think you'll be fine if you sleep in an enclosed space that excludes critters, and watch where you put your hands and feet while you're ambulatory.

Don't bother with a snakebite kit. If you do have to have one, get the Sawyer Extractor. I was bitten by a copperhead, years ago. The little suction cups hurt like hell but if you get to it fast enough...within minutes...it can help get some of the poison out. Worked for me, I had swelling up to my knee for 2 weeks but no tissue damage or even a mark to show where I got bit. And he got my 5 times...I only felt one little bite, like a bee sting. We were miles from the road, rough terrain and no trails, and had to stay overnight. I had to be carried out by a rescue team taking turns hauling me out on a stretcher because of the intense swelling, no way I could walk. Crutches for 2 weeks. This was in a dense southeast forest, your chances of getting bit in the desert is miniscule.
You have a better chance of getting hit by lightening, more than likely. Don't worry about critters, and consider yourself lucky if you get to see one. Snakes are beautiful creatures, especially rattlesnakes...from afar of course. Just be aware, and watch where you put your hands when scrambling around.

Always heard to make noise as you walk, and snakes will try to avoid YOU. Heard this with rattlesnakes. That they will try to avoid you if they sense you coming their way. Also heard the first person in the line doesn't usually get bit, but the second does because the snake is too surprised by the first to strike but has enough time for the second. Maybe thats bull, I don't know.

Udink I am out camping less than you and see more snakes and scorpions how is that!! I actually forgot the baby rattler we saw hiking over Tuahcan split. So in one year that is 6 and you have only seen 4 in 10 years!!? Udink is right sleep in a tent and just be aware of where you put your hands and feet. So far this year only one scorpion and it was dead, rather large and in my garage! Actually the largest one I have ever seen. I like scorpions.

I haven't been to Utah yet but here in Missouri there are supposed to be plenty of rattle snakes,black widows and brown recluse. I have only seen one black widow. It was in a state park outhouse and I've seen one rattler and it was near the running trail where I've been running for over 10 years. It was rattling as I ran by. I stopped to get a closer look and it slithered away...... We have always hiked in Colorado at elevations over 9,000ft and haven't really had to worry about the critters while hiking and sleeping but if I were in the southern part of Utah I would do as others have suggested and just make more noise while walking and keep your tent zipped up at all times.

Make that 7 rattlers in one year. Saw a baby one coiled off the side of the trail on our way up and out of the Subway tonight. Tiniest one I have seen!

Here is the pic I took of him.

rattler.jpg
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2