Another Sleeping Pad question.

Kelley

So this year I'm taking my best friends mom on a river trip. We have most of the gear for her, minus a good sleeping pad. I'm a BA fan, but I wanted to see what other suggestions there are for a 60+ woman who hasn't been camping in years. I have looked at the Exped MegaMat, any feedback on that as well.

Thanks for the link to your review, and I will look up Paco as well. It's not a commercially guided trip, all self supported.

I have had good experiences with both an Exped Downmat Lite and Thermarest NeoAir X-lite pads. The exped is exponentially quieter than the X-lites though. Only thing I would do were I to get another Exped pad is to get one with synthetic insulation, as with the down I feel obligated to inflate it with the little hand pump they include and it's not the most efficient thing in the world. So far no leaks in either the Exped or Thermarest air pads. I use the Exped for car camping, since it's heavier and bulkier, and the Neoair for backpacking.

Wouldn't really recommend the Neoair for your intended use, but Exped pads may be something to look into. Mine has been plenty durable and quite comfortable. It also does not make the absurd noise that the NeoAir pad does.

I have had good experiences with both an Exped Downmat Lite and Thermarest NeoAir X-lite pads. The exped is exponentially quieter than the X-lites though. Only thing I would do were I to get another Exped pad is to get one with synthetic insulation, as with the down I feel obligated to inflate it with the little hand pump they include and it's not the most efficient thing in the world. So far no leaks in either the Exped or Thermarest air pads. I use the Exped for car camping, since it's heavier and bulkier, and the Neoair for backpacking.

Wouldn't really recommend the Neoair for your intended use, but Exped pads may be something to look into. Mine has been plenty durable and quite comfortable. It also does not make the absurd noise that the NeoAir pad does.

I have heard the neoair's are noisy, have you found this to be true? I will look up the other mat. Thanks for the suggestions!

I have the Neoair X-Lite and it's a lot like sleeping on an inflated mylar potato chip bag far as the sound goes. Very noisy.

Back