Yellowstone Camping Question

IlVagabondo

Greetings,

Not a backcountry question per se, but I plan to spend June and early July living in Powell, WY, making frequent trips into Yellowstone: day hikes, backpacks, and some car camping.

My question for now is about the non-reservable tent camping sites. I would prefer to stay in one of those than, say Canyon or one of the other big reservable ones. But I also don't want to show up on the day and find out they're all full. So, what has been your experience with showing up and trying to snag one of these unreserved sites?

Related, how much does day of the week matter? I have a flexible schedule but probably tend to work weekend days. Also, if you show up first thing in the morning, how does that work grabbing a site if somebody is in it but leaving later?

Please feel free to answer any other questions I didn't think to ask. And yes, I am aware I'm hitting prime mosquito season, but it can't be helped.

Thanks!
Paul

Yvonne

I lava it!!!
you can check real-time when the campsites fill up each day by checking the Yellowstone app. They post each day when sites fill up. Last year most filled up by 7 am. I always reserve in advance, so I do not have to worry about it and get out on my hike early and then go to my campsite and set up camp. Or if I use a campground as a base camp, I head out early each day and day hike in the backcountry.
I go every year for a prolonged time and camp in the park

swmalone

I agree with @Yvonne. I checked the website and seeing how early the first come first serve campsites filled up I went with the reservable campsites. I have a long drive and a limited time to visit the park and don't want to worry about not getting a campsite. If you are comfortable with the risk and can get to the site you want early enough in the morning it does provide you with a few more camping options.

swmalone

Thanks @Yvonne and @swmalone! Sounds like reserving ahead of time is worth the peace of mind, even if it means a bigger campground.

We stayed in one for the first time this past August at Grant Village. Even though it is bigger and full it didn't seem overly crowded. I would recommend that if you plan to tent camp to try to get the tent only site as opposed to the tent/rv shared area. The tent only areas seemed to be a bit quieter. I also found out that if you call you can actually request specific sites and they will do their best to get you the site you want or very close to it.

Yvonne

I lava it!!!
Thanks @Yvonne and @swmalone! Sounds like reserving ahead of time is worth the peace of mind, even if it means a bigger campground.
I didn't mind the bigger campground. I just sleep there, that's all.
I was out all day hiking the backcountry.
But it was really nice to know I do not have to search for hours for a campsite and just pull in after a day of hiking and set up camp

tennistime99

My favorite time is the week after Labor Day. Crowds have died out and the elk are bugling all night. Just have to be more attentive to your gas situation as parts of the park amenities are closed for the season. I haven't had much luck in the brunt of the tourist season.

When in luck I like Indian Creek Campground which is pretty centrally located and on the occasions I've been there has a bison that walks circles around the campground.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
swmalone Yellowstone Camping Trip - August 18-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 21
DrNed Camping In Yellowstone Basin Trip Planning 17
BryanG Camping in Yellowstone - Part 1 Hiking & Camping 9
Nick Yellowstone Lake Camping Tips Trip Planning 6
J Yellowstone Backcountry Hiking/Camping Trip Planning 0
TheMountainRabbit Lamar River, Mirror Plateau, and Pelican Valley (Yellowstone NP) - mid-September 2020 Backpacking 11
wsp_scott Yellowstone family trip planning General Discussion 19
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Heart Lake -- September 14-17 2020 Backpacking 30
scatman Cache Creek, Yellowstone National Park - September 10, 2020 Backpacking 8
scatman Pebble Creek, Yellowstone National Park - August 14, 2020 Backpacking 42
norwegianxplorer Greater Yellowstone part 2, from the Headwaters of Yellowstone River, through the Thorofare, Overlook Mountain, Rampart Creek Backpacking 9
norwegianxplorer Greater Yellowstone, to the headwaters of the Yellowstone River with My Own Frontier. Backpacking 11
TheMountainRabbit Yellowstone NP: Mid-September Options Trip Planning 6
R Invite Yellowstone Backpacking Trip 7/29-8/3 Meet Up (Members Only) 0
U Favorite Yellowstone Gallatin Mtn Area Campsite? Looking at WD5, WE7 and that area Trip Planning 5
W Absaroka Beartooth near Yellowstone Trip Planning 3
Bob Rappelling into the Yellowstone river canyon General Discussion 1
McKee80 Yellowstone backpacking advice Trip Planning 15
Yvonne Sepulcher Mountain Hike, Yellowstone NP, September 2018 Hiking & Camping 2
Yvonne Yellowstone 2020 backcountry hike questions Trip Planning 21
P Question about fording rivers in Yellowstone Trip Planning 10
Yvonne Day Hike to Cache Lake, Yellowstone NP, August 2019 Hiking & Camping 6
WasatchWill Family's First Visit to Yellowstone Hiking & Camping 12
Yvonne Garnet Hill Loop, Yellowstone, August 2019 Hiking & Camping 4
Yvonne Sentinel and Imperial Meadows, Yellowstone, August 2019 Hiking & Camping 2
Yvonne Hiking Avalanche Peak, Yellowstone Hiking & Camping 4
P Washburn Meadows, Yellowstone Backpacking 4
P 9 Mile Trail, Yellowstone Backpacking 3
P Bechler Meadows, Yellowstone Backpacking 7
P Ribbon Lake, Yellowstone Backpacking 6
P Heart Lake, Yellowstone Backpacking 13
P Hellroaring area, Yellowstone Backpacking 9
TractorDoc September 14th-21st Solo Hiking in Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP Hiking & Camping 9
P Campsite beyond Lonestar Geyser in Yellowstone Backpacking 5
scatman Grebe Lake, Headwaters of Lava Creek and Observation Peak, Yellowstone National Park - September 13, 2019 Backpacking 7
TeamJenkins17 Yellowstone Thorofare to Brooks lake trip next year. Trip Planning 6
scatman Yellowstone Lake - A Two Week Paddle Trip - July 28, 2019 On The Water 44
swmalone Family Yellowstone Trip August 23-25, 2019 Hiking & Camping 10
Yvonne Yellowstone in Winter Trip Planning 9
scatman Mary Mountain Trail - Yellowstone - 8/11/19 Hiking & Camping 30
TractorDoc Yellowstone in Mid-September Meet Up (Members Only) 3
Yvonne Yellowstone 2018 - a solo trip hiking and exploring America's first National Park: Part II Madison Hiking & Camping 3
Yvonne Yellowstone 2018- A solo trip hiking and exploring America’s first National Park: Part I Mammoth Hiking & Camping 13
DownPour Bechler Trail Yellowstone Planning for September Trip Planning 2
Jon Carbaugh Yellowstone, Wildlife and Slough Creek May 23 to 26th Hiking & Camping 20
C plans for long day hikes in Yellowstone Trip Planning 2
ramblinman Yellowstone Dayhikes (late May) Trip Planning 1
P Yellowstone — Blacktail Ponds to Roosevelt, through Hellroaring Meet Up (Members Only) 5
Tim Valentine Bikepack Yellowstone 2019 Everything Else 22
Yvonne Hiking Yellowstone - 100 miles the Second Trip Planning 21