Fritz Hut Trip- Estrogen Tour

Alison

Hooligan in search of Hoodoos
How about we cool this section down with a trip report about snowshoeing in the Rockies since everyone else is posting desert trips, :p. This past weekend Chere, myself, Erin, Kamlyn, Janet and Kristin all snowshoed/hiked up to the Fritz Cabin in the Benedict section of The 10th Mountain Hut Division in Aspen, Colorado. http://www.huts.org/ These plans were made back in December when we weren't sure what the Spring conditions would be. Typical Colorado above 9000 feet elevation would still have quite a bit of snow, most years that is. Well this year was totally different and we experienced mud, slush and mashed potato like snow on our adventure but it didn't stop us from going. It feels like SUMMER outside as I type this today. Anyhow, after waking up at 4:30 am and driving up to Aspen (45 minutes) to meet up with the others, we were on the Hunter Creek trailhead by 7:24 am with 30 lbs on our backs- mostly booze, food, bacon and 2 parents (yes 2 parents-Brenda and Bruce). I was the only seasoned hut tripper in the group, but I have to say after all the grunting, sweating, stripping down of winter clothing, dealing with crappy snow and cussing, we all single filed into the hut, one by one around 3 that afternoon and these girls ROCKED IT! Let me add that we gained over 3000 vertical in 6 miles so it's a bit of a haul and especially in unfavorable conditions. Once up at the hut, we enjoyed the 5 star amenities of the hut (it is Aspen after all) with choosing our bed, starting a fire, shoveling snow for water and figuring out a crazy propane stove. We enjoyed margarita popsicles on the deck, beauty on the deck, yoga on the deck, napping on the deck, chilling on the deck and yea, we did a whole lot of nothing. The next day, after hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps for breakfast, Janet and I took a hike to work off some of the lactic acid build up in our exhausted muscles while the others obsessed over a puzzle and some napped. Personally, I intended to help Kamlyn out by hiking around to find a beautiful spot to spread Brenda and Bruce, her parent's ashes. Backing up a bit, she lost both her mother and father within a years time so she thought this would be an appropriate trip to have a sweet memorial in the mountains. And voila! We found a cozy little corner on Warren lakes, near an old cattle herding cabin and a view of The Collegiate Peaks. So we scampered (stumbled-thanks to Schnapps at 10 am) back to tell Kam about this spot and she was ecstatic. We all planned to go back down to this spot at sunset and show Brenda and Bruce their new home. At sunset, Chere was excited to play with her new camera and the rest of us ready for a hike to watch the sunset and all of us there to support Kam, we headed on down the hill. The sunset was amazing, great photos were taken, the memorial was touching and the booze was flowing. Good times! We all filed back up (stumbled) to the hut as the twilight setand Chere and I decided to do a few fun night photos. Erin and the girls started a fire down in the fire pit. We had our last good night, drinking, taking photos, doing puzzles, listening to good tunes and me being paranoid of the Yeti outside my window. I hope Chere posts some pics because she got some good ones. So enjoy!IMG_0778.JPGIMG_0781.JPGIMG_0785.JPGIMG_0893.JPGIMG_0899 - Copy.JPGIMG_0904.JPGIMG_0915.JPGIMG_0961.JPGIMG_1003.JPGIMG_1012.JPGIMG_1029.JPGP3290195.JPGP3290198 - Copy.JPGP3290200 - Copy.JPGP3290202 - Copy.JPGP3290203.JPGP3290207.JPGP3290208.JPGP3290212.JPGP3290213.JPGP3300236.JPGP3300243.JPGP3300258.JPGP3310262.JPGP3310268.JPGIMG_0769 - Copy.JPGIMG_0891 - Copy.JPGIMG_0972 - Copy.JPGP3290227 - Copy.JPGP3300255 - Copy.JPG

Featured image for slideshow:
slide.jpg

What an awesome trip! I would love to do something like this in the winter. I was supposed to do a yurt trip twice this year, the first time there was no snow and the second I was dealing with my bum ankle. :( Next year! Thanks for the inspiration!

What an awesome trip! I would love to do something like this in the winter. I was supposed to do a yurt trip twice this year, the first time there was no snow and the second I was dealing with my bum ankle. :( Next year! Thanks for the inspiration!
We have a very extensive hut system up here, one of a kind really. You should check it out at huts.org. They really go out of their way to make each hut really comfortable. The distances vary, some being only 1-2 miles in (great for families) and others being up to 8 miles in (more adventurous). Some are in avalanche territory so I avoid those. How about a BCP hut trip next year!? Some huts sleep up to 15. HAHA!

Ok, Im back for my third look and I need to put this on the "to do" list.
How much fun would this be with the kid!

Ok, Im back for my third look and I need to put this on the "to do" list.
How much fun would this be with the kid!
Took my kids last year and after the first mile meltdown by my 7 year old at the time, he knocked it out the park. He was bummed he didn't get to go this time. And he did a fairly challenging one. DO IT! Oh and the most fun part, when it's in the winter is that there is a man made luge outside of this hut that is OFF THE HOOK, complete with a jump at the end to catch air! So bringing a sled should be on the list.

Great report! I tell myself every year that this is the year I buy some snowshoes and go, but then I flake out and never do it. Your report has inspired me to get my head out and just do it. It looks super fun! Can't beat a night or two out in the snowy woods with friends, fire and drink.

Sweet chest pack, blueeyes. How do you like it? I despise chest packs but I actually really like that one.

Well Nick I only bought it because you mentioned it another thread and I must say I LOVE it. I did attach the extra clips it comes with to my backpack but decided I liked the harness better. Because I could take my pack off with out removing the camera. I have to be careful I have killed a few cameras so better to keep it near me at all times. I loved it so much I think I will buy one for my wicked step-mother (said with all love and respect). I am positive she will love it for horse back riding, and the fact that it is sooo light.

The bonus as a mother of two wearing a backpack...:cautious: it hides the mommy tummy! Sweet!!!! :thumbsup:

I will post some picks soon. Just been finishing up a different photo project that has been hanging around for 5 years!

Here are a few of my favorites and a link to the rest.

IMG_0716.JPG

Kamlyn

IMG_0719.JPG

Erin

IMG_0720.JPG

Janet

IMG_0723.JPG

Kristin

IMG_0726.JPG

Alison

IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0932.JPG

IMG_1071.JPG

IMG_1000.JPG

Photo Album Link (cuz I can't figure out how to make it work here)

https://picasaweb.google.com/cherec...inEstrogenTour2012?authuser=0&feat=directlink

And I must be really stupid cuz I can't get vid from FB to imbed. Nick not very intuitive here. But that could just be cuz I am use to different ways.

http://www.facebook.com/v/3560832185192

or maybe

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3560832185192&set=vb.1404435202&type=2&theater

Sweet chest pack, blueeyes. How do you like it? I despise chest packs but I actually really like that one.
I'll be getting one very soon! I hate my camera bag thunkin around when I am already miserable from the pack.