Pre-trip Preparation

scatman

I'm down to ten days left before I take off to Yellowstone to hookup with @TractorDoc, @wsp_scott, and possibly @Bob. This will be a ten day trip down into the Thorofare, explore Hidden Creek, visit the headwaters of Thorofare Creek, hike up and over Majo Pass, observe the mountain with grizzlies, head down Turner Fork, and out at Brooks Lake. I have started to pack today, and have my breakfast menus and dinner menus ready to go.

02.jpg

For breakfast, I'm taking fourteen packets of instant oatmeal (I eat two in the morning for breakfast) and 9 packets of hot chocolate to warm my cold, cold heart. :) For two of my breakfasts, I will be eating a MH breakfast skillet, and a PEAK biscuits and gravy. One of those will be consumed on the day we do Majo Pass, and the other will be eaten the next morning as we attempt to descend Turner Fork.

For dinner, it is essentially the PEAK show, except for one Backpacker's Pantry fettuccini alfredo with chicken. I have tried all but the PEAK's chicken coconut curry and the Chad Mendes inspired backcountry bison bowl. I have on good word from one of my trip partners that it is good though. :thumbsup:

So what do you think at this point? Any better suggestions? Remember, spare the rod and spoil the Scatman. :D

I've also packed away my 30 degree sleeping bag and my one man tent.

More to come. :)

Sounds tasty! Envious - wish I could eat like that, esp dinners. That much sat fat would be a killer. :p That said, maybe more chocolate?

Last edited:
So what do you think at this point? Any better suggestions? Remember, spare the rod and spoil the Scatman. :D
Yes! A pre-trip preparation thread!

Your food looks good and all, but what we really want to see are your utensils. I'm not seeing any heavy spoons on the table. . . not even a sturdy one for that matter. I do see a dumbbell in the background though. . . don't get any ideas about sneaking that into my pack!

I know this is your post/topic and I'd have everyone direct their responses to your original post, but I cannot help but share a couple pictures of my food choices to compare.

Breakfasts. I do like the Peak meals too. I did swap out one of the biscuits and gravy for another granola since taking this picture. It would be a weight/space saver, but I have an aversion to oatmeal -- I think it is a consistency thing.

GOPR0426.JPG

Dinners. I swapped out the Bison Mashers for the Backcountry Bison Bowl.

GOPR0425.JPG

Lunches/Snacks/Drink Mixes. Keep in mind that these will be consolidated and that I will not be carrying everything you see here/a lot of the extra packaging. I've already eaten about half a can of the Honey Butter Almonds.

thumbnail_IMG_0712.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0732.jpg

Back to @scatman 's post -- I'm concerned about your lack of snacks. . . or is that something you are counting on me for? I knew there was probably a reason you keep letting me tag along with you! :)

Your food looks good and all, but what we really want to see are your utensils. I'm not seeing any heavy spoons on the table. . . not even a sturdy one for that matter. I do see a dumbbell in the background though. . . don't get any ideas about sneaking that into my pack!
oh come on, that would be ridiculous, sneaking a dumbbell into your pack, when you are clearly destined to carry the dutch oven

Sounds tasty! Envious - wish I could eat like that, esp dinners. That much sat fat would be a killer. :p That said, maybe more chocolate?

Ah, the chocolate comes later when I pack my lunch/snacks. I'm still contemplating those.

Yes! A pre-trip preparation thread!

I know this is your post/topic and I'd have everyone direct their responses to your original post, but I cannot help but share a couple pictures of my food choices to compare.

Breakfasts. I do like the Peak meals too. I did swap out one of the biscuits and gravy for another granola since taking this picture. It would be a weight/space saver, but I have an aversion to oatmeal -- I think it is a consistency thing.

View attachment 123406

Dinners. I swapped out the Bison Mashers for the Backcountry Bison Bowl.

View attachment 123405

Lunches/Snacks/Drink Mixes. Keep in mind that these will be consolidated and that I will not be carrying everything you see here/a lot of the extra packaging. I've already eaten about half a can of the Honey Butter Almonds.

View attachment 123407 View attachment 123408

Back to @scatman 's post -- I'm concerned about your lack of snacks. . . or is that something you are counting on me for? I knew there was probably a reason you keep letting me tag along with you! :)

Man, you are going to need two packs to carry all of that stuff. :D

No worries, this post is for everyone, add to it as you see fit. :thumbsup:

I haven't packed my snacks yet, but when I do I'll put up an image to show what I'm bringing.

You can rest assured that I will not be bringing a heavy spoon on this one. :)

That dumbbell is a lot like Scatman, you know dumb. :scatman:

Your timing is impeccable! This is the week my mule-train buddies and I pack in supplies to the Thoroughfare ranger station for the park service. I will personally be packing in 100# of the most coveted supply ever JUST FOR YOU GUYS!!! It will be cached behind that big tree with the U-shape in its trunk about 20 yards from the cabin. You can:

Trade it for other supplies, including pemmican and wampum
Eat it
Bribe officials with it (Cam Sholley LOVES these things)
Bribe bears with it
Leave it as a trail marker (like flagging)
Play tricks with it (lubricate hilly parts of the trail for lotsa laughs when @Bob or @scatman come along)
Use it in lieu of poker chips
Use it as fill in bogs
etc.

20 Assorted Jelly Bean Flavors - 4.5 oz Flip-Top Box

Pre trip prep????? I just go to my cabinet and fill my pack till its full.....

My preparation for this Yellowstone trip is a 4 night trip to the Dolly Sods in WV, I'm leaving in about an hour. Next weekend I'll gather everything for Yellowstone.

My preparation for this Yellowstone trip is a 4 night trip to the Dolly Sods in WV, I'm leaving in about an hour. Next weekend I'll gather everything for Yellowstone.
Have a great time in Dolly Sods. We still haven't made it there...

Ok.... Laugh at my backpacking cabinet.... But everything is in one place...... Sorry can't get it right side up
Skipper .... Notice the section of Mtn House!
IMG_20230730_145408555.jpg

Last edited:
Well Done @Bob!

I'd post a picture of the spare upstairs bedroom that doubles as my personal storage unit, but your space is so neat and organized that I'd be embarrassed for anyone to see my piles of stuff now. :)

I figured you had more Mountain House stashed away than that!

Ok.... Laugh at my backpacking cabinet.... But everything is in one place...... Sorry can't get it right side up
Skipper .... Notice the section of Mtn House!
View attachment 123419
When most of the people I know say the word "cabinet," they're talking about a cabinet full of spirits, not Mountain House. LOL

And are you sure you don't have a badger or two in there?

Your timing is impeccable! This is the week my mule-train buddies and I pack in supplies to the Thoroughfare ranger station for the park service. I will personally be packing in 100# of the most coveted supply ever JUST FOR YOU GUYS!!! It will be cached behind that big tree with the U-shape in its trunk about 20 yards from the cabin. You can:

Trade it for other supplies, including pemmican and wampum
Eat it
Bribe officials with it (Cam Sholley LOVES these things)
Bribe bears with it
Leave it as a trail marker (like flagging)
Play tricks with it (lubricate hilly parts of the trail for lotsa laughs when @Bob or @scatman come along)
Use it in lieu of poker chips
Use it as fill in bogs
etc.

20 Assorted Jelly Bean Flavors - 4.5 oz Flip-Top Box

Dare I ask, how does one go about bribing the bears? :)