Hut trip anyone?

Alison

Hooligan in search of Hoodoos
I usually do a hut trip once a year with friends or family. Thought I'd just put it out there to you back country poster friends to see if there's any group interest? I'd organize a trip if so. Chere and I did an all girls trip last year and had a blast. I know nick and randy have expressed an interest. If you are unfamiliar with a hut trip, it's basically snowshoeing or skinning to these amazing back country winter huts here in Colorado. Must be able to pack in and pack out in potential extreme winter conditions. Check out huts.org for more info.

blueeyes? What do you think?

Nick

-
I am very interested!

How gnarly are the routes in? Like do I need to condense things down to bottles of whiskey in a backpack or can I load up a sled with beer? :wavespin:

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
I'd be interested...I was thinking about hitting a hut in the San Juans, but if we put together something here I'd be up for it.

Alison

Nice!!! Routes totally depend. Most are around 6 miles on average and about 2000+ gain- 5 hour snow shoe hike. I've hauled a Sled up before mainly to ride the luge. ;) we make this insane luge, complete with big air jumps. I usually stuff bombers in my backpack.

Alison

Because it's a haul to get up there, I usually do two nights. Cool thing about doing a hut trip is it's like deluxe backpacking. You work super hard to get there and then the rest is taken care of. Each hut has a stove, an outhouse, bedding, pillows, games, books, puzzles, silverware, dishes, cookware, papertowels, chopped wood, solar lighting, candles, flashlights, etc.....

Alison

What I need to do is designate a date in Jan, Feb or March and find an available hut during those times. They book up so fast! I do have two huts I frequent and it would make navigating easy for a group. Or I could venture out and do something different for a new experience. We could post updates as to which hut, dates, etc..on here and then it would be up to each of us to individually call and pay for your own spot. They don't reserve whole huts so if we don't fill the hut up with Backcountrypost friends, then we could be sharing with others. Just know that.

Alison

The huts vary and so do the rates. The most common hut will hold between 10-12 and it averages about $35 pp, per night.

Most huts are booked on a per-person basis, with the exception of Fabi's Hut, Ken's Cabin, Carl's Cabin, Chuck's Upstairs, Walter's Upstairs, and the Braun Huts, which are only booked for one group at a time.

blueeyes

ephemeral excursionist
Would love to! Had so much fun. I vote for the same cabin as last year only get them both! Of course it is date dependent with me. Next semester will be busier and only time I could go is during a break like Presidents Day weekend or Spring Break.

Alison

blueeyes, I agree! but that gets expensive because the Fabi Hut holds 6 and it's about 360 for two nights. And of course the Fritz cabin, we could book on a one on one basis like we did last year. And if we don't get enough people to fill the spots? Hm.....I know we could fill the Fabi with one group, no problem.

blueeyes

ephemeral excursionist
Now I can't get my mind off of that trip! Hands down one of my favorites last year. We could do the Fritz Cabin just like last time if we get enough people and it fills up then we are golden! Spring break for Dixie is March 11-15. Which means bests dates for me are March 9-16th. Or President's Day weekend or Martin Luther

Alison

So much fun last year!!! Agree! Looking into it as I type. My brother is wanting to join in and I've been in contact with him. Will hopefully finalize a date or two within the next couple of weeks.

Alison

Sweet!!!! You'd be a great addition to our usual debauchery. :)

Alison

Just a heads up, if I aim for dates between March 9-16, there are no weekend dates available and for the most part, the entire year's weekends are already booked up- typical because it's so popular. People start booking these the summer before. We'd for sure be doing a mid-week or a Sunday/Monday.

blueeyes

ephemeral excursionist
During those dates I have no work obligations so weekday works for me. Sounds like we need to start planning for 2014 in a couple months!

Alison

Yea, if you want a weekend, they open up Winter bookings the summer before. It's crazy! You can always find space, so that's never an issue but it just won't be a weekend. :( PS- they also have some huts open for summer and you can drive to most of them, mountain biking trails abound. wink wink!

blueeyes

ephemeral excursionist
Big grin back at ya! I need me some summer mountain time. I really am missing it.