FNG needs hiking advice

Clint

New to Utah and I want to go hiking soon. I am in Salt Lake area and want to know if any of y'all know any good trails that are open now and not covered in snow. I wanna stay in this area and not drive down to south Utah. Any advice would be great and helpful.

Probably too early for most of the stuff in the SLC area. The stuff out west like the Stansburys, Antelope Island, etc. Will probably open up sooner but the latest I've seen still shows a lot of snow out there too. Looks like it's starting to thaw out though.

You're probably not going to have much luck there. This time of year, southern Utah is your best bet...and even it has some snow in places.

Looking out my window, even Antelope Island is pretty covered right now. I would suggest keeping an eye on Antelope, because it often melts out faster than anything in the mountains.

You can also watch for the west side of the Stansbury Mountains at places like Muskrat Canyon.

Unfortunately, once the snow starts melting, the trails just all turn to mud pits for a few weeks, and that's usually less fun than the snow. I tried Muskrat once in the spring, and after about 100 yards I had already had enough of the 15 pounds of mud on my boots.

Welcome to Utah! It's a great place to live, but if you don't like snow (like me), then southern Utah is where it's at from about late November until early April...or May...or June...or July!

Probably too early for most of the stuff in the SLC area. The stuff out west like the Stansburys, Antelope Island, etc.

You posted while I was writing...I'm glad we both suggested the same places!

Fair enough, not really what I wanted to hear but I guess I'll have to deal with it right. BTW I got the stickers and I really appreciate it. So basically I have to go south.

I don't really have a problem with snow just yet (only 1 winter so far) but I am ready for it to go away. I've enjoyed some of the winter activites but ready for something else. We went snowmobiling this past weekend for the first time.

Welcome to Utah.

SLC seems to be transitioning into the shoulder season now. any worthwhile trail is either completely or partially covered in snow, with the bare spots most likely being muddy. adn not much is going to change at least for the next coupla weeks after looking at the NWS short term forecast. However, this time of year lots of folk like to stretch out there legs in city creek canyon, bonneville shoreline trail, even the groomed road up in Millcreek Canyon is enjoyed by folks not really into snowsports.

If you plan on making a future here in SLC, i'd suggest looking into the various snowsport options to explore the wonderful winterwonderland of the wasatch and uintah [and other nearby] ranges, gain more exposure to fresh air, to also maintain your general fitness heading into spring hiking/backpacking desert season, and to keep your sanity. winters are longer than you'd think, the dog-days of winter-inversion seriously takes it toll on the human psyche, and suprisingly, the deserts of southern and western utah are not that much more hospitable for winter escape (be prepared for snow [ less of it], below freezing hi-temps, and lots of cold wind).

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M fng Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
desertvic The Grand Staircase Escalante NM needs you! Meet Up (Members Only) 1
Bob I think this needs a review....haha Gear 7
bscuderi This section needs help 10/2 berry On The Water 2
Mikjik86 Hiking Colorado - 13er Bald Mountain 13,703' Hiking & Camping 2
beaver-one Section Hiking the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail): Oregon + Washington Trip Planning 3
Janice Meander vs Stillwater - hiking opportunities? Trip Planning 11
balzaccom Hiking Naked? General Discussion 22
BadFoot Altra Lone Peaks for hiking on slickrock - grippy or not? Gear 20
S Desert Hiking Footwear Gear 22
Henk Hiking The Portal Trail, Moab Everything Else 2
ANelson Hiking to the Top of the Henry's (Mount Ellen) August 2022 Hiking & Camping 10
mikejones3 New Backpacking / Hiking Weight Calculator App Gear 0
J Hiking Southwest Pennsylvania Parks and Forests Dec. 26-28, 2022 Hiking & Camping 2
R Pony Express Trail Hiking Recommendations Trip Planning 4
W Hiking boots - women's wide foot. General Discussion 8
norwegianxplorer Hiking Sierra de las Nieves, Spain. Sunrise hike from Yunquera, Andalusia, Wild boar and Spanish Ibex Hiking & Camping 0
norwegianxplorer Hiking the unique hoodoos landscape of EL TORCAL de Antequera in Spain at sunrise, May 2022 Hiking & Camping 0
seekinglost Introducing the Mojave-Sonoran Trail: A NEW 625-mile Winter Thru-Hiking Route Backpacking 4
Reef&Ruins Interesting Thread on Another Hiking Forum General Discussion 13
TeamJenkins17 Washakie Wilderness Hiking Hiking & Camping 0
M What's your rain forecast comfort zone for canyon hiking? Trip Planning 4
Rockskipper Night Hiking General Discussion 19
F It has begun - Hiking Baja's El Camino Real Backpacking 7
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. 6 Days hiking. Nov 14-19, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
F Hiking a section of the El Camino Real in Baja in 2022 Trip Planning 0
OwenM Hiking Horse Canyon? Trip Planning 4
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Femundsmarka National Park Pt 3, Grand Scandinavian Hiking & Backpacking Tour Ep4 Backpacking 0
kwc Hiking in Baxter State Park, Maine Hiking & Camping 4
Mountain Wanderer Hiking the Idaho Centennial Trail in the Great Burn Backpacking 0
A Need hiking gear suggestion Hiking & Camping 9
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Lysefjorden/Kjerag/Kjerag Waterfall/Kjeragbolten, 4 days Solo Hiking high above the Norwegian Fjords Trip Reports 2
J Death Valley NP Black Mountains and beyond Hiking Dec 19-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
trailsofbudapest Hiking in Hungary Trip Planning 0
Dreamer Hiking w/ Eric, Fishing w/ Al Backpacking 5
norwegianxplorer Preikestolen, Pulpit Rock, Hiking Norways most Iconic and spectacular Landmark & views, Lysefjord, Norway Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Fall hiking in the southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 4
kwc Adirondack Hiking - the colors are starting to pop! Hiking & Camping 5
J Need Park City area Hiking help Trip Planning 2
Ross Hiking Scotland Hiking & Camping 19
kwc Hiking in the South Central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Adirondack Spring Hiking Continued Hiking & Camping 3
C Little Hiking, Little Rockhounding Everything Else 0
Yvonne Hiking Connector Trail to Northgate Peaks on Zion Opening Day, May 13 Hiking & Camping 8
U Any recommendations for 5 days hiking in Wyoming, Idaho or MT? This is around July 15-20. Not counting on Glacier being open Trip Planning 9
kwc More Southern Adirondack Hiking Hiking & Camping 5
kwc Southern Adirondack Day Hiking (aka Social Isolation) Hiking & Camping 0
TrektheWorld Heil Ranch Hiking and Hammocking Hiking & Camping 2
kwc Local Hiking Hiking & Camping 1
DouginGJCO Hiking &/or backpacking partner for Canyonlands Natl Park and nearby Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0