Altra Lone Peaks for hiking on slickrock - grippy or not?

BadFoot

Hey everyone.

From a quick search on this site it appears that Altra Lone Peaks are popular desert footwear amongst posters, so I was wondering if anyone can share their experience on how their Lone Peaks performed on slickrock, especially regarding grip.

I am planning an early November backpacking trip in the Escalante region that will involve one of Steven Allen's class 3+ slickrock scrambles into a canyon and lots of slickrock walking in general. I have a pair of La Sportiva Boulder X shoes that were spiderman sticky when new, but after >3000km of using them while bikepacking the soles are trashed and I no longer trust the grip. I am considering wearing my Lone Peak 7s but so-far have only tested the grip on hiking trails in the Canadian Rockies, so I am on the fence whether to use the Altras or drop some cash on a new pair of sticky rubber approach shoes. Any advice that would sway me in one direction or another would be welcome!

I prefer the shoes with vibram or contagrip because they grip the slick rock so well, especially on descents. I've used Lone peak and Saucony on trips to southern Utah when I know its a more sandy trail and easy slick rock, but if its a lot of steep slick rock or scrambling I take my salomons or la sportiva. I notice a big difference.

Hope it's a great trip- Nov/Dec is my favorite time down there in Southern UT. A lot fewer people and crisp cool/cold temps! The nights are a little long but it's a great trade off!

Super grippy!! I love them. In fact, if I had any beef with them, it’s that they don’t last too long, because the bottoms of them prioritize grippyness over longevity. I’m on my eighth pair.

The book on Altras is that they are less grippy and let in way more sand than Sportivas. I would want something really tight and edgy for an SA route, personally.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

The book on Altras is that they are less grippy and let in way more sand than Sportivas. I would want something really tight and edgy for an SA route, personally.

I agree on sand- get the All weather Altras and they are a lot better than the standard model for letting sand in.

not sure if we’re wearing the same altras but I have zero issues with sand, even for the more breathable ones

Agree about wearing out quickly! But last pair or two seem better so maybe they’re working on that

I prefer La Sportivas for anything with class 4-5 climbing. You can get away with comfy shoes on SA routes if you snug up laces before anything that counts as climbing. It's more friction than edging. I soloed Wham Ridge on Vestal in my cushy Ultra Raptors; I bet others have too. :)

I prefer La Sportivas for anything with class 4-5 climbing. You can get away with comfy shoes on SA routes if you snug up laces before anything that counts as climbing. It's more friction than edging. I soloed Wham Ridge on Vestal in my cushy Ultra Raptors; I bet others have too. :)
Fossana has way more SA experience than me. My opinion is mostly heresy, and I wear Pioneer X Ultras as Altras hurt my feet.

is there a site that compares outsole compounds and says which shoes have what? seems like that would be interesting and useful

for example we often say "vibram" but they must make a ton of different materials, right? for example my crampon-compatible mountain boots have vibram outsoles that are rock-hard, making them feel quite insecure on scrambles

is there a site that compares outsole compounds and says which shoes have what? seems like that would be interesting and useful
I have yet to see a detailed sole material breakdown for running shoes and hiking boots as in wear and performance on various surfaces and in different conditions. Typically the reviews are shoe-specific. The climbing community fixates on it. I'd be happy to do testing if someone comps me trail running shoes.

Been using Lone Peak 6 for 1 yr now and IMO the soles are as sticky on steep Escalante slick rock, as the Vibram soles I used previously. But the soles wear fast. A nice surprise has been less sand in the shoes, as compared to a former mid high boot.
(No experience with LP7 & class 3+ climbing)

@fossana 's spicy desert climbing experience + your own positive La Sportiva experience = $$$ for a new pair of La Sportiva :)

I don't have experience with the LP7 but would agree with those above based on my experience with some older altras. They are pretty grippy but the sole on them wears out pretty fast and loses that grip faster than other shoes I've used. So if they are newer than I think they would do well. I do prefer the contagrip outsole on a lot of salomon trail running shoes. They have been my go to recently for more technical terrain. They still aren't as sticky as my la sportiva explorers I had awhile back and would imagine not as sticky as a dedicated approach shoe.

The other thing I dislike about the Altras for more technical terrain is the wide toe box. Maybe it is just in my head, but to me they don't feel as secure on the steeper terrain.

+1 for La Sportivas if they fit you. I've used Bushidos for several years now on lots of Escalante/Allen-adjacent/semi-technical slickrock stuff and the sticky rubber Helios before those. I don't think you need an approach shoe. Mutants are supposed to be good canyon country shoe but haven't tried them. Might give them a shot when current Bushidos wear out.

$$$ for a new pair of La Sportiva
You can often find past season's Ultra Raptors on sale or pick up a barely used pair at the REI Garage. They run small IMO.

Most approach shoes have a stiff midsole with minimal cushion for edging and aren't super comfortable for backpacking. I usually add a squishy insole on the rare occasion I use them for backpacking, like when I need the extra stiffness for kicking steps in snow. IMO approach shoes are an overkill for SA routes and tend not to drain/dry as fast after river crossings, but whatever you're comfortable with for scrambling is what you should wear.

I tend to wear out my running and approach shoes on the outer side of the toe box from cramming my feet in cracks and rocky river bottoms, so when I buy running shoes I look for something with extra reinforcement there.

Screen Shot 2023-08-21 at 10.08.12 AM.png

Never had a problem on slickrock with my Bushidos or kailish mid boots....

Thanks for the responses and opinions all! This has been an interesting discussion for sure and I think I have a decision to make - go for some confidence inspiring sticky rubber shoes, or use what I have...

Thanks for the responses and opinions all! This has been an interesting discussion for sure and I think I have a decision to make - go for some confidence inspiring sticky rubber shoes, or use what I have...
in addition to REI garage, it's always worth checking out Sierra Trading Post. I've found that Altras, Sportivas, and 5.10s are all pretty predictable sizing across models and I can usually get a good fit out of something I order online on the first try. but also I seem to have like super average feet and I can wear most anything comfortably (though maybe I run a bit wide since I really do prefer Altras over the others). the only thing I can't tolerate is arch support -- I used to have a pair of Chaco sandals that I just could not wear due to the aggressive arches.

Hey everyone.

From a quick search on this site it appears that Altra Lone Peaks are popular desert footwear amongst posters, so I was wondering if anyone can share their experience on how their Lone Peaks performed on slickrock, especially regarding grip.

I am planning an early November backpacking trip in the Escalante region that will involve one of Steven Allen's class 3+ slickrock scrambles into a canyon and lots of slickrock walking in general. I have a pair of La Sportiva Boulder X shoes that were spiderman sticky when new, but after >3000km of using them while bikepacking the soles are trashed and I no longer trust the grip. I am considering wearing my Lone Peak 7s but so-far have only tested the grip on hiking trails in the Canadian Rockies, so I am on the fence whether to use the Altras or drop some cash on a new pair of sticky rubber approach shoes. Any advice that would sway me in one direction or another would be welcome!
La Sportiva TX3 approach/hiking shoes have worked great for me in Escalante. They have amazing grip, drain water very well, and have great support. I’ve done Class 4+ SA routes with a 50+ lb pack walking on slickrock domes all day long. Pair them with a super thin sock like gold toe nylon dress socks and you can wade in them and they dry out quick as you hike.

them with a super thin sock like gold toe nylon dress socks and you can wade in them and they dry out quick as you hike.
it feels a little funny wearing gold-toe socks in the backcountry but I sometimes do that too!
stuff like thick smartwools takes FOREVER to dry...