It has begun - Hiking Baja's El Camino Real

Fatboy

For better or worse I have started my trip to hike a section of the El Camino Real between the old Missions of San Borja and Santa Gertrudis.

I have wanted to hike a section of the ECR for a few years now and it was all set up to happen the first week in January of 2022.

The route was mapped out, possible water sources were located, shuttle was arranged and a hiking partner was lined up.

Then along came Covid. I caught it in early December and was very sick for two weeks and spent a day in the hospital.

The trip fell apart. I was too weak to go and I moved it back a month. But doing so meant hiking it alone and I have been unable to arrange any shuttles.

To make matters worse people are reporting that the area is suffering from a long drought. Then I get an email from a reliable source that two of the more dependable water sources are being used by Narco's.

Yet, here I am. I am camped along the Salton Sea after driving 650 miles from my home in Northern California. Tomorrow I will cross the border at Mexicali and be out of touch for the next 5 or 6 days.

Logistically this trip will be a challenge. Water sources are unknown and if Narco's are using San Sebastian and El Parasio I will have to turn around and go back.

If I am able to do the hike getting back to my car will be a challenge in itself. The plan is to drive to San Borja which is about halfway down Baja and about 22 miles from the pavement and leave a minibike there.

Then drive to Bahia de Los Angeles and then southwards along the gulf coast for a 120 miles stashing fuel every 30 miles or so to Santa Gertrudis.

I will also stash water a few miles north of the only road crossing of the ECR section that I will be hiking.

After parking at Santa Gertrudis, and if all goes well, I will hike 75 miles north to San Borja where I will hop on the minibike and ride it the 150 miles, mostly on dirt roads, stopping every 30 miles or so to fill up from my fuel stashes back to my car.

What can possibly go wrong.....

Good luck ... You are braver than me.

Good Luck. I think you will be okay. Just don't camp within sight of the road if possible. Sounds like a good plan. Looking forward to a report when you get back.

@Fatboy, I had to read your intro to see if you actually got this. You got this! I'm pulling up a chair and eagerly await your writeup.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P Has anyone had a knee replaced, and still backpacks? General Discussion 10
TheMountainRabbit Report: Grizzly 399 has emerged from the den — with one cub General Discussion 2
Parma Has Anyone Here Done Alta Via 1? Trip Planning 25
regehr maze road has a sand dune Trip Planning 14
F Who has been here? Ruin off Hole-in-the-Rock road General Discussion 4
ADubs Looking for info from anyone who has done the Egypt loop and exited via 25mile wash (Escalante). Trip Planning 3
DrNed Has Anyone Used The Bivystick? Gear 11
LarryBoy Caltopo Has a New Android App. General Discussion 11
Artemus Monsoon has Started ! Trip Planning 2
Rockskipper NASA has plan to defuse Yellowstone (for real) General Discussion 4
Rockskipper Has anyone driven the Denali road to Wonder Lake in their own vehicle? General Discussion 11
Perry Wow! This has me rethinking my gear choices... Trip Planning 26
Bob Which City in the USA has the most variable weather? General Discussion 0
Laura Anyone know if the rockfall on HWY 89 out of Page has been cleared yet? General Discussion 6
Waynee-ack Has anyone used a Hammock? Gear 12
Nick The forum has taken over General Discussion 7
Mikjik86 Hiking Colorado - 13er Bald Mountain 13,703' Hiking & Camping 2
beaver-one Section Hiking the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail): Oregon + Washington Trip Planning 3
Janice Meander vs Stillwater - hiking opportunities? Trip Planning 11
balzaccom Hiking Naked? General Discussion 22
BadFoot Altra Lone Peaks for hiking on slickrock - grippy or not? Gear 20
S Desert Hiking Footwear Gear 22
Henk Hiking The Portal Trail, Moab Everything Else 2
ANelson Hiking to the Top of the Henry's (Mount Ellen) August 2022 Hiking & Camping 10
mikejones3 New Backpacking / Hiking Weight Calculator App Gear 0
J Hiking Southwest Pennsylvania Parks and Forests Dec. 26-28, 2022 Hiking & Camping 2
R Pony Express Trail Hiking Recommendations Trip Planning 4
W Hiking boots - women's wide foot. General Discussion 8
norwegianxplorer Hiking Sierra de las Nieves, Spain. Sunrise hike from Yunquera, Andalusia, Wild boar and Spanish Ibex Hiking & Camping 0
norwegianxplorer Hiking the unique hoodoos landscape of EL TORCAL de Antequera in Spain at sunrise, May 2022 Hiking & Camping 0
seekinglost Introducing the Mojave-Sonoran Trail: A NEW 625-mile Winter Thru-Hiking Route Backpacking 4
Reef&Ruins Interesting Thread on Another Hiking Forum General Discussion 13
TeamJenkins17 Washakie Wilderness Hiking Hiking & Camping 0
M What's your rain forecast comfort zone for canyon hiking? Trip Planning 4
Rockskipper Night Hiking General Discussion 19
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. 6 Days hiking. Nov 14-19, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
F Hiking a section of the El Camino Real in Baja in 2022 Trip Planning 0
OwenM Hiking Horse Canyon? Trip Planning 4
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Femundsmarka National Park Pt 3, Grand Scandinavian Hiking & Backpacking Tour Ep4 Backpacking 0
kwc Hiking in Baxter State Park, Maine Hiking & Camping 4
Mountain Wanderer Hiking the Idaho Centennial Trail in the Great Burn Backpacking 0
A Need hiking gear suggestion Hiking & Camping 9
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Lysefjorden/Kjerag/Kjerag Waterfall/Kjeragbolten, 4 days Solo Hiking high above the Norwegian Fjords Trip Reports 2
J Death Valley NP Black Mountains and beyond Hiking Dec 19-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
trailsofbudapest Hiking in Hungary Trip Planning 0
Dreamer Hiking w/ Eric, Fishing w/ Al Backpacking 5
norwegianxplorer Preikestolen, Pulpit Rock, Hiking Norways most Iconic and spectacular Landmark & views, Lysefjord, Norway Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Fall hiking in the southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 4
kwc Adirondack Hiking - the colors are starting to pop! Hiking & Camping 5
J Need Park City area Hiking help Trip Planning 2