Heil Ranch Hiking and Hammocking

We decided to get out on a Friday because we knew with snow in the forecast for Easter that EVERYONE who is feeling cooped up (everyone in the Denver metro area) would be hitting the trails on Saturday). It was a good choice. A little after noon and the parking lot was only around 1/2 full, which is rare for a spot so close to Boulder. There is one Hiker-only trail in the area which had a One Way sign directing traffic in a single direction as to limit people crossing paths in the time of social distancing.

We had our backpacks packed with hammocks and extra snacks. We also brought along writing journals, colored pencils, and books to read. I spied a ridge above an open meadow that was begging to be climbed. So I left the family to the hammocks and tranquil spacing and ventured off trail up to this rocky ridge that overlooked the area.

A few dicey climbing moves allowed me to make my way up through the rocks. Had I gone all the way to the lowest point in the ridge I could have found something easier, I am sure.

What I found up top was a beautiful space all to my self. After wandering around and taking some photos the wind and clouds really came in. I was thinking that maybe my off trail travel had angered the gods on this near perfect day, or maybe it was a sacred ridge of some sort. As I descended the easy way down from the near the top of the ridge I walked through areas that had been cut, with many trees still marked. The weather improved with each step back towards the meadow until the sun eventually came back out for good.

I got to thinking - How does one build a new trail or get the idea going to get one built? This area could use another hiker trail to relieve pressure from the crowds that circle the same spot. I'm the right people need to be contacted and then there's budgets and yeah, all that stuff. Or we could just keep these hidden spots.....hidden.

P1070380_1_2Realistic.jpg
P1070390.jpg

P1070394_5_6Realistic.jpg

Anyone else think this looks like a Ram's Head??

P1070415_6_7Realistic.jpg
P1070421_2_3Natural.jpg
P1070427_8_9Realistic.jpg
P1070439_40_41Natural.jpg
P1070450_1_2Realistic.jpg
P1070469_70_71Natural.jpg
P1070473_4_5Natural.jpg
P1070484_5_6Realistic.jpg
P1070497_8_9Realistic.jpg
P1070506_7_8Natural.jpg
P1070515_6_7Natural.jpg
P1070524_5_6Realistic.jpg

mike_offerman

I have wandered around those cliffs a ton of times. Always fun to wander around and have never seen another soul up there.

Miya

Because I am able.
Oh! That does look like a ram’s head!!
Thanks for sharing!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
DoTurtle First trip Ruby Ranch to Mineral Bottom Trip Planning 5
SKLund Ski Hi Ranch footbridge Trip Planning 1
S Hiking spots in between Ruby Ranch and Mineral Botom Trip Planning 3
Stephanie Ruby ranch to mineral bottom Trip Planning 4
S Wts mystery ranch 3dap foliage Gear 0
muir_mountain Walker Ranch Loop, Boulder, CO Hiking & Camping 3
Deadeye008 Robbers Roost Ranch Carvings Trip Planning 6
uintahiker Hardware Ranch Everything Else 0
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Femundsmarka National Park Pt 3, Grand Scandinavian Hiking & Backpacking Tour Ep4 Backpacking 0
kwc Hiking in Baxter State Park, Maine Hiking & Camping 4
Mountain Wanderer Hiking the Idaho Centennial Trail in the Great Burn Backpacking 0
A Need hiking gear suggestion Hiking & Camping 9
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Lysefjorden/Kjerag/Kjerag Waterfall/Kjeragbolten, 4 days Solo Hiking high above the Norwegian Fjords Trip Reports 2
J Death Valley NP Black Mountains and beyond Hiking Dec 19-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
trailsofbudapest Hiking in Hungary Trip Planning 0
Dreamer Hiking w/ Eric, Fishing w/ Al Backpacking 5
norwegianxplorer Preikestolen, Pulpit Rock, Hiking Norways most Iconic and spectacular Landmark & views, Lysefjord, Norway Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Fall hiking in the southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 4
kwc Adirondack Hiking - the colors are starting to pop! Hiking & Camping 5
J Need Park City area Hiking help Trip Planning 2
Ross Hiking Scotland Hiking & Camping 19
kwc Hiking in the South Central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Adirondack Spring Hiking Continued Hiking & Camping 3
C Little Hiking, Little Rockhounding Everything Else 0
Yvonne Hiking Connector Trail to Northgate Peaks on Zion Opening Day, May 13 Hiking & Camping 8
U Any recommendations for 5 days hiking in Wyoming, Idaho or MT? This is around July 15-20. Not counting on Glacier being open Trip Planning 9
kwc More Southern Adirondack Hiking Hiking & Camping 5
kwc Southern Adirondack Day Hiking (aka Social Isolation) Hiking & Camping 0
kwc Local Hiking Hiking & Camping 1
DouginGJCO Hiking &/or backpacking partner for Canyonlands Natl Park and nearby Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Yvonne Hiking the Hurricane Canal and Hurricane Rim Loop, February 15 Hiking & Camping 4
Yvonne Hiking Avalanche Peak, Yellowstone Hiking & Camping 4
TractorDoc September 14th-21st Solo Hiking in Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP Hiking & Camping 12
Yvonne Yellowstone 2018 - a solo trip hiking and exploring America's first National Park: Part II Madison Hiking & Camping 3
Yvonne Yellowstone 2018- A solo trip hiking and exploring America’s first National Park: Part I Mammoth Hiking & Camping 13
M Hiking attire Gear 22
TractorDoc Mount Rainier in Late July -- Day Hiking Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Yvonne Hiking Yellowstone - 100 miles the Second Trip Planning 21
NorthwestWanderer Hiking to Lake 22 in the Cascades Hiking & Camping 2
G Grand Canyon hiking - need a ride Trip Planning 0
Mikjik86 Video Hiking/Camping San Rafael Swell/Goblin Valley/Horseshoe Canyon - Feb 2019 Hiking & Camping 2
Miya Noob Question about Hiking in the Snow General Discussion 32
Stephanie Winter weekend trip with some hiking Trip Planning 3
LarryBoy Critique the Route: Deseret Hiking Route Trip Planning 11
McKee80 Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail Nov 1, 2018 Backpacking 3
Titans 3 week Arizona road trip: Tucson Desert Rain & Hiking SAGUARO NP Hiking & Camping 1
Titans Redwoods hiking & Oregon coast in September incl. 360 sphere pictures Hiking & Camping 10
Rockskipper Zion National Park visitors rescued after mocking rangers, hiking The Subway unprepared General Discussion 97
C hiking suggestions for Denali Trip Planning 6
Ross West Canyon hiking Backpacking 2