Bear Canisters

andyjaggy

It looks like I am going to have to pick up a bear canister for my trip to Olympic NP this summer. Does anyone have any advice for brand, size, etc...

I've only used one once (recently). My search led me to conclude best bang for the buck is a BearVault. Lightest weight but far more expensive is the Bearikade.

There are others in between, but for me, it came down to those two. I ended up just renting a Bearikade, as I don't foresee myself needing to use one very often at all. If I did, I'd probably buy a BearVault, because the Bearikade is just so darn expensive - but it's the one I'd like to own.

- DAA

Check with the Park, they may give them out for use while you are there. Teton NP does.

Thanks guys. Bearvault it is. It seems like there isn't really any brand that isn't a PITA to use and haul, but I suppose it's worth it.

That's the same conclusion I came to as well. There are a couple of older threads on this subject if you want to read up on the various pros and cons.

I came to the same conclusion as well. Depending on the date you'll be gone, I have a bear vault 450 you're welcome to borrow. Unfortunately it weighs 3 lbs empty.

That be great if you could loan it to me. I would need it August 9th -17th, odds are you might need it then as well. ;)

Hm... that would probably work. I'm hiking the winds around that time, and I'm not bringing the bear vault with me. It's almost the size of a 5 gal bucket. It can be tricky to affix to your pack.

Cool, I didn't realize they were that big. ;( It would be fine for my trip though, we won't be hiking in more than a few miles at each spot. I'll send you a message as the trip gets closer.

It looks like I am going to have to pick up a bear canister for my trip to Olympic NP this summer. Does anyone have any advice for brand, size, etc...

yo andy

if you'r recreating on a shoestring, the ONP will float you bear can loaner free of charge. available at any WIC or backcountry desk when picking up permits. however, it is suggested that a donation of 3-bucks or all the loose change in your cup holder be made so they can cover the program and education material costs.

Good to know. Thanks. I am debating just picking one up as it would be a handy thing to own... but I am trying to save money at the moment. This trip we are going as cheap as possible and I'm only doing it because my work is flying me up there for a conference, so I figured what the heck.

Only handy if you camp where its needed. So far only Teton NP in the Intermountain Region requires them. As said before most NP's loan them. Usually where they require them, people have been stupid and habituated the bears by poor prevention practices. I stay away from areas they are needed.

They are also required in Bryce Canyon (rainbow point area) and Salt Creek Canyon, even though there are no grizzlies there.

Last edited:
Yes, I forgot Canyonlands only in Salt Canyon, just this year.

Not in Bryce, just recommended (as per there web site). They say they can require if deemed necessary because of high bear activity

may want to check out the ursack as well. last I heard they were accepted everywhere except Yosemite. I used one on the AT last year-lightweight inner bags lasted about 40 days each, when they wear out you just put another one in. outer bag lasted the whole 2200 miles of the AT and is going strong. weight is under a pound. ursack.com I believe. i'll use it on the highline and AZT this year as well. actual video of grizz trying to get into the bag on the website. works great also keeps critters out as well. no need to carry a water cooler bear canister unless that is what you want to do.

Ursack is not accepted in Salt Creek in Canyonlands...and I'm pretty sure there are more places than just Yosemite that don't accept them.

Unfortunately ursack doesn't have the stamp of approval from the IGBC. Most orgs that require bear canisters only allow those with IGBC certification.

Last edited: