Bear Canyon/Sabino Canyon Loop (Santa Catalina Mountains, AZ)

fossana

Logistics
Start/end: Sabino Canyon Visitor Center parking lot (Tucson, AZ)
Mileage: ~16.9 miles; option to shuttle the Sabino Canyon road back (with a fee) during shuttle season
Elevation gain: ~2465'
Navigation: Junctions are signed, and the trail was well worn. A trail map (e.g. Green Trails Santa Catalina Mountains) may be helpful for reference, but wan't absolutely necessary. Bear Canyon is one of the eastern most trailheads, so continue passing the trail junctions until you see signs for Bear Canyon/Seven Falls.
Filterable water: seasonal
Fees: parking fee (or Nat'l Parks pass)
Dogs: not allowed in Pusch Ridge Wilderness due to desert bighorns
Nearest town/gas: Tucson, AZ
Date hiked: 24 Dec 2018

Approximate Route
map.png

Trip Report
Lured by the 70F temps and great trails, I headed down to Tucson for a few days of climbing and hiking over the winter holiday. I climbed at Mt Lemmon the first day and did a shorter hike with my friend on the 23rd.

The Sabino Canyon lot was relatively busy on Christmas Eve, but as usual the crowds quickly died off as I got further from trailhead. From the visitor center there was a network of mostly flat trails that paralleled the road and campground.

Once in the canyon proper the trail followed and crisscrossed the stream bed, which had ample water this time of year.
DSC09046.jpg

DSC09050.jpg

Being a holiday and a popular route to the scenic Seven Falls, there were quite a few people until I passed the Seven Falls junction. From there the trail switchbacked east, eventually crossing back into the Bear Canyon drainage to the west.
DSC09070.jpg

DSC09088.jpg

DSC09093.jpg

DSC09103.jpg

DSC09126.jpg

The trail followed Bear Canyon until switchbacking up a steep hillside to a saddle NE of Thimble Peak. Then came the descent into East Fork drainage, following the Arizona Trail.
I saw only 2 people along this remote section.
DSC09139.jpg

After a short distance I turned south down Sabino Canyon trail, which climbed high above the canyon proper.
DSC09190.jpg

Sabino Canyon drops down the paved road, so I opted for Phoneline trail instead (again completely quiet).
DSC09223.jpg

DSC09236.jpg

DSC09240.jpg

I made it back to my car with just enough light and just enough time to catch the Korean BBQ restaurant before they closed early for the holiday.

Last edited:
Now I have a good friend who every winter as of late has gone south to winter in Tucson. This area is one of his most favorite places down here near Tucson. Nice Photos! Thanks for posting. Enjoy yourself there in warm Tucson!

Well, that’s funny, we were within 1/2 day of passing you on the Phoneline trail, we hiked it yesterday!!!! It was also spectacular on the paved road back along the creek with the cottonwoods still a little yellow.
Awesome weather. Very scenic canyon, huge amount of Saguaro. It paid out to do it Christmas day, very quiet towards the end of Sabino Canyon. Very happy the trams were not running, otherwise it would be busy.
We might do Bear Canyon in February when we return!
Beautiful photos - thanks for sharing!

Thanks @Kmatjhwy and @Titans! There were a handful of people on the Sabino Canyon road, but almost no one on Phoneline. Kmatjhwy, it's the second time I've been down there for the winter holiday. Have a great rest of your trip, Titans.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Bob Teton Canyon Bear General Discussion 3
norwegianxplorer Bear Standoff and Bluff Charge in Kings Canyon yesterday June 30th Backpacking 16
Joey Trip Videos: Grand Teton's Paintbrush Divide, Grizzly Bear Lake, Avalanche Canyon, Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 14
DrNed Bear Canyon Trail To Battlecreek Canyon Hiking & Camping 3
TheMountainRabbit News Release: Yellowstone National Park increases protection for bears and visitor safety by implementing changes to two bear management areas General Discussion 14
Rockskipper 'Bear cam' viewers save stranded hiker in Alaska General Discussion 5
Bob Bear charge - Yellowstone General Discussion 1
balzaccom Bear Canister...where does it go? Trip Planning 19
Janice Sleeping Bear Dunes Hiking & Camping 13
Bob Bear Test .... General Discussion 7
OldBill Short Bear Basin exploration, Wind Rivers Trip Planning 7
forest dweller Grizzly Bear Kills Backcountry Guide Near Yellowstone, Investigators shot and killed the bear after it charged. General Discussion 13
travel2walk trip report: Wind River Range – Ross Lakes, Bear Basin, Grasshopper Glacier, & Dinwoody Creek loop, Aug-Sep 2020 Trip Reports 41
S Bear fence wanted Gear Market: Buy, Sell, Trade 5
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Lost River Range in Idaho : Bear Creek Lake & Upper Basin Backpacking 7
K 38 Years Ago Today ... Close Grizzly Bear Encounter in Wyoming's Teton Wild. Everything Else 2
McKee80 TR: Bear Lakes Basin Pine Creek TH 09-05/11-19 Backpacking 14
fossana Bear Lakes > Royce Lakes overnighter (High Sierra) Backpacking 12
Wanderlust073 Wooly Bear Gear 4
TeamJenkins17 Black bear killing baby elk Photography 0
Rockskipper First grizzly bear sighting of 2019 reported in Yellowstone NP General Discussion 12
Aldaron Bob Marshall Bear Spray Trip Planning 14
NorthwestWanderer Washington - 4x4 to Bear Lake & Little Deer Pass Off Road 0
LarryBoy When do you carry bear spray? General Discussion 92
NorthwestWanderer Copper Pass, North Cascades (Day Hike + Bear sighting) Hiking & Camping 1
Rockskipper What are the odds? Bear bites can of bear spray in Spray Valley General Discussion 3
Rockskipper Man wades into Katmai bear feeding zone, takes a selfie General Discussion 2
Miya Bear Canister Noob Question Gear 27
IntrepidXJ Canyonlands National Park: Expanded Bear Container Requirements General Discussion 7
K Bear Encounters - Your Stories General Discussion 10
P Bear bagging above treeline General Discussion 6
Perry Experience with ZPacks Cuben Fiber Bear Bag Kit? Gear 6
Perry Late Season Uintas Day Hike Ideas. Bear River to WFBF and Back? Trip Planning 13
Artemus Grizzly Bear Expansion Map General Discussion 23
Perry Saw My First Utah Bear Today... With a Bonus General Discussion 0
WasatchWill Bear Ears NM officially in transition? General Discussion 6
Laura Bear's Ears Trip Planning 2
V Bear Proof Food Storage - Ursack Trip Planning 43
M VIDEO - Bear Peak, Boulder, Colorado General Discussion 0
Langdon Greene new bear canister company Gear 4
andyjaggy Bear Basin Windrivers Trip Planning 7
J Ascent of Big Baldy - Bear River Range Hiking & Camping 7
Smaugxxx Salt Creek & Bear Box Gear 0
Vegan.Hiker Pedals - New Jersey's Walking Bear General Discussion 2
J Bear (bag) piñata! General Discussion 1
Aldaron Bear Spray in the Sierra Nevadas General Discussion 7
Jackson Hiker Killed by Grizzly Bear in Yellowstone General Discussion 59
Scott Chandler Bear Canister Opinions Trip Planning 13
balzaccom Bear Can Suction General Discussion 3
IntrepidXJ Bear canisters now required for backpackers in entire Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness General Discussion 7