Sevenmile Hole - YNP - June 11, 2014

scatman

I had the opportunity last week to spend two nights in the Yellowstone backcountry with my family at an area located within the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone called Sevenmile Hole. In addition to spending the two nights at campsite 4C2, we did a day hike back out of the canyon to Washburn Hot Springs, plus a little off-trail jaunt to an unnamed pond located about halfway between the Grand Loop Road and the trail.

14251849738_67750823d9_b.jpg
Trip Map

The trip begins at the Glacial Boulder trailhead where the trail parallels the Canyon for the first mile before turning north through the forest.

14409944126_b83c337014_b.jpg
Glacial Boulder trailhead

At roughly 2.7 miles, we reached the trail intersection for Sevenmile Hole and began dropping down into the canyon itself where nice views began to present themselves to us.

14453170643_bf4c81ed6b_b.jpg
Trail Junction Sign

14432857195_ac1b7246f2_b.jpg
View to the south of the Grand Canyon of the Yelllowstone from the trail

14409729656_bafb5f9bc1_b.jpg
View to the northeast of the Grand Canyon of the Yelllowstone from the trail

We finally arrived at campsite 4C2 and went about setting up our camp after which we explored the immediate vicinity.

14246530527_670ed13631_b.jpg
Campsite 4C2

14246234820_fb476946e4_b.jpg
Sulphur Creek

14429619671_a22c5d9541_b.jpg
View from the bottom of the canyon - where we ate our meals

On day 2, we went on a day hike to Washburn Hot Springs. While on the way we took some time to investigate the thermal features that we had passed by the day before.

14429461341_3bb16fa3c3_b.jpg
Thermal area along the trail that descends into the canyon

14431822744_e0bcca972f_b.jpg
Another thermal feature

Once we made it back up the canyon, we quickly hiked to the trail junction where we took a right and headed towards the Washburn Hot Springs. The trail would skirt some beautiful meadows along the way and we saw wolf and bear tracks on the trail. Eventually we reached the hot springs

14246337300_c728871a70_b.jpg
Bear track on the trail to Washburn Hot Springs

14246137919_f454c254e3_b.jpg
One of the meadows along the way

14246105449_0c71408c99_b.jpg
Washburn Hot Springs

14431464792_4effa9062b_b.jpg
Hot pot at Washburn Hot Springs

After spending some time at the thermal area, we hike about a half a mile to the northeast to a large meadow, located south of Mount Washburn, to eat some lunch.

14246139890_2a135352d9_b.jpg
Meadow south of Mount Washburn

14429689851_f2184ddcb0_b.jpg
Mount Washburn

After lunch we retraced our footsteps back to an earlier meadow we passed and began our off-trail hike to an unnamed pond which was located at the far western end of a large marshy area about a mile east of the trail.

14431595134_c24d5db598_b.jpg
Marshy area we hiked through on the way to the pond

14409598636_a502aa27c2_b.jpg
The pond

After finding our way back to the trail we returned to our campsite, ate dinner and called it a day. The next day we got up, packed up our camp and headed back to the trailhead.

Overall, it was a fun trip. I think a two night stay is probably the maximum number of nights I would recommend. Once at the bottom of the canyon the space to explore is limited. I suppose if you enjoy fishing the river, a third night stay might make sense. There were some thermal features above our campsite along Sulphur Creek that I wouldn't mind checking out if I ever return to this area. I didn't have the time to check out the other waterfalls in the area like I had intended to do. So I could also add that to the list if I go back.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Last edited:
Nice report… Looks a little sloppy still. Is there still a lot of snow patches on the lower end of Washburn?

@Yellowstone 1 - there is still a lot of snow patches along the trail and some patches on the lower end of Washburn.

14429591251_7505c16f86_k.jpg
snow on the trail

Nick - Are you still doing your Yellowstone Lake jaunt this summer?

Last edited:
Nick - Are you still doing your Yellowstone Lake jaunt this summer?

I think so. I've yet to figure out people to go with, and I really want to go to Powell in early September after the crowds leave but I think I can do both. I need to get on planning that. Time to go revive my thread!

Side note - you can tag people easier by typing the @ sign and then type their username. A little selection box will pop up as you start typing and then you can just click on their name. Then they get a notification that they've been tagged. Like this: @scatman :)