road from Hite to Water Hole Flat

RyanP

Formerly bob32
Does anyone know how long I should expect it to take to drive from Hite to the Waterhole flat area under normal road conditions in a Subaru Outback? I'm thinking that for my next trip to the Maze (whenever that ends up being), I may try to take my car as far as it will safely/comfortably go, then take my mountain bike the rest of the way to the Land of Standing Rocks. I've read that it's an easy road up to roughly that point, but I have no clue as to how long I should expect that drive to take. As a point of reference, I took my car to the top of the Flint switchbacks this last March, but wasn't comfortable taking it any further than that. I'm assuming that I can probably take it to the Water Hole Flat area, and maybe even close to the Teapot Rock Campsite?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Last edited:

napatony13

I made it to WH Flat in my truck/camper last Fall...then it started raining/snowing so we turned around and drove out. You shouldn't have any trouble making it as it's mostly flat dirt with some slickrock sections when you cross some of the bigger washes. My recollection is that it was rutted/washboarded just enough that you couldn't make great time. I would guess it took about 2 hours max to make it that far. As I understand it the road is OK to Teapot Rock but gets gnarly past that point. I'm also considering a similar trip...getting the camper as far as Teapot campsite and then biking to the Harvest Panel hike in the Maze. Still don't have a bike yet, so not sure when it will happen.

scoags

It's been two years now, but we had a similar experience to @napatony13. we made it to the campsite at Teapot rock, but after that it was a little too much for what we wanted to do. If i recall correctly, the worst part about the drive there was some pretty rutted out sandy areas shortly before the campsite. 2 hours from Hite seems about right, although I'd say on the longer side of that, but I could be a slow driver.

RyanP

Formerly bob32
Thanks! That pretty much confirms the impression I had. Now I just need to buy some cheap bikepacking bags to help for trips like this...

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D White Rim Road Off Road 2
Parma White Rim Road FKT General Discussion 4
Gwen T Fortymile Ridge Road Trip Planning 5
T Status of Traffic - Hole in the rock road - Escalante - September? Trip Planning 2
fossana Red Cliffs & Dixie NF fire-related trail/road closures (St George area) Trip Planning 1
norwegianxplorer Death Hollow from Hells Backbone road 7 day loop with My Own Frontier Canyoneering 0
Titans 2020 Road Conditions Southern Utah (& Arizona Strip ) Trip Planning 1
Artemus Road Proposed to be Bulldozed through Red Cliffs Recreation Area General Discussion 7
regehr late 2019 road conditions in S Utah Trip Planning 55
Titans COLORADO PLATEAU ROAD TRIP - November & December 2018. Hiking & Camping 21
powderglut Colonnade Arch road conditions General Discussion 7
J How is the dirt road to the East Fork of Blacks Fork TH? Trip Planning 1
Ross Arizona/Utah road trip loop with sandstone/badlands/canyon hikes Hiking & Camping 14
C Skutumpah road closed at Bull Valley Gorge General Discussion 9
kwc Canada road tripping Northwest Territories question(s) General Discussion 2
Parma Elephant Hill Road Advice General Discussion 1
fossana Death Valley road closures post flooding Trip Planning 3
canadug Current Escalante and Cap Reef Road conditons Trip Planning 17
fossana Kolob Canyons (Zion NP) still closed for road construction Trip Planning 2
wesleyS The Maze road conditions Off Road 0
Titans 3 week Arizona road trip: Tucson Desert Rain & Hiking SAGUARO NP Hiking & Camping 1
P Tuckup Canyon Trailhead road conditions Trip Planning 0
Rockskipper The Road to Tuk Off Road 8
RyanP White Rim Road vehicle/difficulty questions Trip Planning 8
wesleyS Road from Boulder airstrip, UT Hiking & Camping 5
Nick PNW Road Trip Trip Planning 20
Dustin Gent Red Breaks via Spencer Creek Road General Discussion 1
Strawsome What is your favorite hike in the Escalante/Hole in the rock road area? General Discussion 6
H Wahweep Hoodoos access road Trip Planning 1
Nick Grand Bench Road Trip Planning 15
Dustin Gent San Juan Mountain backpacking/road questions General Discussion 3
Rockskipper Has anyone driven the Denali road to Wonder Lake in their own vehicle? General Discussion 11
Mike Jones Smithsonian Butte Road Utah BLM camping? Trip Planning 5
Perry Capitol Reef NP Hiking and Road Trip Suggestions Wanted Trip Planning 1
Glasterpiece Death Valley Road Conditions Resource Discussions 0
Parma Is the road to Upper Muley Twist doable in an Outback? General Discussion 19
regehr Poison springs road Trip Planning 3
Perry Quick Road Trip Through Kanab - Any Must-see Locations? General Discussion 5
kansas Butler Wash Road Trip Planning 0
H ON THE ROAD WILD WEST :: Yellowstone, Grand Teton, & Glacier National Park Big Sky Road Trip Photography 8
Artemus Zion east entrance road closed General Discussion 1
gnwatts Road Canyon on my 50th Backpacking 8
Devin Ashby Cedar Mesa - Road Canyon - Fallen Roof Ruins Backpacking 6
DrNed Biking The Little Wild Horse Road Everything Else 1
DrNed White Rim Road Questions Trip Planning 14
Joey Upper Death Hollow and the Old Bowington Road, From Hell's Backbone down to the Escalante River Backpacking 24
DrNed Little Wild Horse Road Trip Planning 13
Scott Chandler White Rim Road Opinions Trip Planning 18
Ross Hiking road trip to Dinosaur Nat Mon, The Wedge + quieter areas from Moab Hiking & Camping 9
F Hole in the Rock Road Conditions General Discussion 7